Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your FAVORITE handgun? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Being 65 and all for me it's the F4 Phantom. Painted camo on top, light belly, streaking over the jungle canopy.

Or barreling on a low gun run (not firing) in an episode of "O'hara, United States Treasury" when the outgunned O'Hara (David Jensen) called in the Air Force fighter jock out in the desert to show the BGs the gun pod up close.

I've never gotten over that scene it appears.
    I'm with you on the Phantom. A bruiser with class!

One is not possible for me, either.

Glock 19: for reasons everyone else stated.
    1911: because every collection needs one.
    LTT 92 RDO: DA/SA perfection, IMO.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    1911. I just shot it last week for the first time in over two years. I mean a Glock is better in nearly every way, in the same sense that my Mazda 6 was a much better car than my 79 Trans Am. But man, I just love 1911's and Trans Ams.

I've had Kimbers, Dan Wessons, a Baer and a few others come and go. Still got two pre-CZ DW's, I'm hanging onto those.

CZ P-07/09. Off all the guns I've owned, or shot, they seem to be what I always fall back on. I prefer DA/SA guns. They shoot fairly soft and require little work to make the triggers very nice.

A snubnose, or two a la Darryl Bolke. I currently have a Colt King Cobra Carry in my pants pocket, and a S&W 642 in my jacket pocket. I can have a firm grip on either one at any time, and not look suspicious at all.

Surprised and not surprised how many people are on the 1911-train. The middle (2011) and right (Dad's 'Officer's' Model)...

Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  75.3 KB

It doesn't surprise me that the 1911 is a PF favorite. Post pics in the 1911 Gallery and people start liking it pretty quick.

I like 1911's and double action revolvers the most. For revolvers, I like pre-lock S&W revolvers the best. My favorites have sentimental value. My favorite revolver is a S&W Model 19 that is the first handgun I bought. My favorite 1911 is an old GSP that I bought when I attended Gunsite for the only time. It morphed into a more customized gun and one that I shot a lot.
    Last edited by DamonL; 09-30-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I might not be a "1911 guy" the way many in the shooting community are, but when I use one at the range it's instantly easy to see why the popular affection has been so lasting. It's hard to express in words exactly why, but the 1911 feels like a perfect real-world engagement pistol, lower round count notwithstanding. The length, accuracy, grip angle and trigger make it easier to engage 20-25 yard targets than I can manage even with a Glock 17 in terms of accurate hits per shots fired. Can I manage the same with the Glock 17 with volume of fire? For sure, but the 1911 puts the rounds on paper with assuredness.

If I'm able to get a good performance out of my new Smith E-series with ETFs I could see taking it more seriously as a winter carry gun. Heavy and low-capacity but beautiful and something about the form factor just inspires confidence.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    ...It's hard to express in words exactly why, but the 1911 feels like a perfect real-world engagement pistol, lower round count notwithstanding. The length, accuracy, grip angle and trigger make it easier to engage 20-25 yard targets than I can manage even with a Glock 17 in terms of accurate hits per shots fired...
    The 1911 fell victim to cancerous disease of confirmation biased myopic thinking that is rampant in law enforcement training/equipment circles. Even after the 1911 was used successfully in multiple large scale conflicts law enforcement agencies clung to the double action revolver, which was arguably falling into obsolescence as a service sidearm after the first world war. So many ridiculous dogmas descended from the decision to cling to the double action revolver it makes me nauseous to listen to them. I become more sick when some one challenges the dogma and I am forced to lend my ear to the pathetic regurgitation of myopic dogma with no logical basis or evidence other than questionable anecdotal nonsense as support.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    The 1911 fell victim to cancerous disease of confirmation biased myopic thinking that is rampant in law enforcement training/equipment circles. Even after the 1911 was used successfully in multiple large scale conflicts law enforcement agencies clung to the double action revolver, which was arguably falling into obsolescence as a service sidearm after the first world war. So many ridiculous dogmas descended from the decision to cling to the double action revolver it makes me nauseous to listen to them. I become more sick when some one challenges the dogma and I am forced to lend my ear to the pathetic regurgitation of myopic dogma with no logical basis or evidence other than questionable anecdotal nonsense as support.
    Dogma is one of those words that you seldom see and even less often three time in two sentences.

User Tag List