Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your FAVORITE handgun? And why?

Mine is my CZ Custom Protech I. Love the size and feel in hand. My favorite DA/SA trigger ever (love the half cocked position) and it’s sexy.
    Name:  F566CA68-B1B8-46F2-BBFD-3ECFA482610E.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  96.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Surprised and not surprised how many people are on the 1911-train. The middle (2011) and right (Dad's 'Officer's' Model)...

Attachment 95037
    So very true. The 1911 is a wonderful pistol. I grew up in a household without firearms, but, as a history buff, from a very early age, the 1911, which was still THE service pistol, at the time, was MY favorite pistol, with the Browning/FN Hi-Power being in second place. Notably, Col. Jeff Cooper had nothing to do with my original love for the 1911, because Texas did not yet have legal handgun carry for private citizens, and, I did not yet have any idea that I would later become a police officer. I wanted to own a 1911, in order to be able to hold, and shoot, a historically significant weapon, as I also aspired to acquire an M1 Garand. Soon after I reached age 21, I bought an other-than-Colt* 1911, my first handgun. I did not know much about how to select a properly-fitting handgun, at the time, but, fortuitously, a 1911 fits me, very well.

Today, I have four boutique-level-manufactured Les Baer full-sized pistols, one Harrison-customized for its previous owner. I have carried two of these, with one, my Thiunder ranch Special, having ridden in my duty holster. I also recently acquired a Detonics 9-11-01, a 5”-barreled, stainless steel pistols that, importantly, uses Government Model springs. (It can be very difficult to acquire replacement recoil springs for the Detonics pistols that do not use standard 1911 springs.)

I very, very nearly shot one robbery suspect, with a Colt Stainless Commander, which was my duty pistol for about a year, 1990-1991. (I switched to a SIG P220, after the Commander started becoming a finisky feeder.) I carried a few other 1911 pistols, on and off the clock.

I still like to have a full-sized 1911 handy, for night-time home defense. .45 ACP has mild flash and blast. A 1911 points, for me, as if equipped with radar; sights are optional, at home-defense distances. (I do use the sights, if I can see them.) When the front sight flew away, from the above-mentioned Commander, during an annual qual, I completed that qual, out to 25 yards, with a decent score.

Though I normally carry short-barreled revolvers, these days, I will still carry a 1911, occasionally, usually in a lower-riding or drop-front holster that allows a more-comfortable draw stroke. (Aging right shoulder and wrist, with longer carry guns, and high-riding holsters, are not such a wonderful combination.) A lower-riding rig requires a longer concealment garment, of course, which is the reason for the “occasionally” part.

So, the 1911 was definitely my favorite hand gun, for a while, and most certainly remains A Favorite.

*Detonics Combat Master, a then-trendy compact 1911. Not a good choice, for most, but, I was able to get a proper 3-finger grip, with my skinny digits.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-02-2022 at 08:34 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My favorite is the Sig P226r Extreme 9mm, metal frame/slide fit, factory SRT, Hogue Extreme G10, decocker, tritium night sights, stock two 15 round magazines, after market three 20 round magazines... yeah it's also my EDC.

G19 is my first love though I never carry them anymore thanks to xl macro

I do not recall the exact model but my grandfather left me his old Taurus .357 blued, 4in revolver. Looks almost identical to a S&W 586. I traveled a lot for work and kept it at my parents house, been meaning to get it.

My favorite pistol because it’s the first one I ever shot and it reminds me of him. It also started a lifelong love of wheel guns.

After that probably a S&W 642/442. I just love snubbies.

Edit: I have the add the Sig P224-A1. No other guns feels as good in my hand.
    Last edited by Mercworx; 10-30-2022 at 01:27 AM.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    still like to have a full-sized 1911 handy, for night-time home defense. .45 ACP has mild flash and blast

While generally true, I had a case of Independence aluminum .45 that was like shooting flashbangs even in bright daylight. On an indoor range it left spots in my vision and my ears ringing even though I aways double up on earpro.
    It had mild recoil and was reliable, but even though it was very affordable at the time I never bought anymore.

Reliable that is in my M&P 45, a beaten up police trade in I got for cheap at Bass Pro, stuck an Apex trigger in, and long my favorite handgun. It has eaten everything I have run through it with no trouble even using the super cheap and suspect trade in mags AIM surplus was blowing out for $10 for the longest time. And at an accuracy level I just can't get with anything else.
    I am still miffed that S&W discontinued a true compact model 45 from the line up. I'm holding out to find a decent 1.0 Compact, but I will probably break down and get a 2.0 once the feature set from the 10mm reaches the rest of the line.

The M&P has worked so well for me that it has actually spoiled me against 1911s. I love the idea of the 1911, I want to get a 1911 eventually, but 1911s just do not work for me. Multiple range rentals has born this out.

CZ Shadow 2. Such a pleasure to shoot, clean, dry fire practice with and beautiful to look at.

Narrowing it down to one is impossible. Context is always important and sometimes it's influenced by whatever I'm reading or podcast I'm listening to at the time. Sometimes it's simply whatever I'm shooting at that moment and it will change to the next one I shoot on the same range trip.

I have finally realized handguns are like puppies. I really just want to take all of them (or at least most of them) home...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have owned many pistols over the last 60+ years.
    If you had told me a few years ago that the Glock slimlines would be my favorite of all time I would answer. "You're full of shit."

But,low and behold that's what took place.
    The G43/43X/48 are my favorites of all time. The 48 at the very top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    I do not recall the exact model but my grandfather left me his old Taurus .357 blued, 4in revolver. Looks almost identical to a S&W 586. I traveled a lot for work and kept it at my parents house, been meaning to get it.

My favorite pistol because it’s the first one I ever shot and it reminds me of him. It also started a lifelong love of wheel guns.

After that probably a S&W 642/442. I just love snubbies.

Edit: I have the add the Sig P224-A1. No other guns feels as good in my hand.

Pardon the typo I meant the P225-A1
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

User Tag List