Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt's Single Action Army Model of 1873

I'm not exactly recoil adverse, but I have found nothing to handle heavy-recoiling rounds as well as a plowhandle. They really spare the web of your hand.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Name:  87930602.xgdUSNn1.IMG_6338.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  63.6 KB
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

There used to be some reproductions of the Flat Top Target with sights you can see.
    Seem to be gone now.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    There used to be some reproductions of the Flat Top Target with sights you can see.
    Seem to be gone now.
    I've kicked around the idea of a New Frontier to match.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm halfway tempted to shoot a match with my Blackhawk.

I'm guessing my best bets for reloads is a dump pouch at 2oclock
    We had someone shoot one stage at an IDPA match several years ago with I think a Starr precussion revolver. (Only the first six shots of it, IIRC.) Smaller matches on a day with light turn out can sometimes be amenable to shenanigans.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    The last time I sampled an SAA, I admired the thing but could not use that front blade to save my butt- it was sheer sighting torture.

Sometimes I still think I need a single action revolver, but at this point, I'd just get a Ruger NM Blackhawk 4-5/8" .357/9mm convertible and be live with it (assuming it came from the factory reasonably well-made). My eyes don't like drama, and the Blackhawk has everything I need and nothing I don't.

Except maybe panache... which I care less about every day.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

It is one of my favorites. I have bought and sold many over the years. Colt's, USFA, Rugers, Standard Manufacturing. They just feel right in the hand and the roll up recoil is Iconic. My wife enjoys shooting them too.

The "ivory" handled Standard Manufacturing below in 44-40 is the most accurate I have owned. The nickel plated Standard Manufacturing in .45 isn't too far behind.

Name:  FF98A54B-CCD3-4D8C-9A3C-56BFA77EA8D5.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  63.8 KB
    Name:  3B3A688D-0981-482B-BE15-1C20C981ECC7.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  57.0 KB
    Name:  57842480497__C0F857A7-74CE-40F9-8378-D1E4B8ED6F2A.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  StdMan.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  51.5 KB
    Name:  Colt Cavalry.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The last time I sampled an SAA, I admired the thing but could not use that front blade to save my butt- it was sheer sighting torture.

Sometimes I still think I need a single action revolver, but at this point, I'd just get a Ruger NM Blackhawk 4-5/8" .357/9mm convertible and be live with it (assuming it came from the factory reasonably well-made). My eyes don't like drama, and the Blackhawk has everything I need and nothing I don't.

Except maybe panache... which I care less about every day.
    Philistine
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Philistine
    Guilty. And tres déclassé to boot.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Coal Train,

Where on earth did you find a Standard Manufacture in 44 WFC? I've never seen one, and would have bought it if I had. (smile)

Back in the 1980-1990 time frame I had a small collection of 1st Gen SAAs. I fired all of them with black powder and came to love the look, the feel, and the history. Life intervened and I sold off all my old guns.

In my later years I have re-kindled my love of single action revolvers. I can no longer afford 1st Gen Colts but 8-10 years ago I discovered USFA single actions. More than any of the Italian reproductions the later (all US made parts) USFAs are the closest guns I've found to the look, feel, and quality of the 1st Gen Colt SAA.

LOL - Now I can't afford the USFAs anymore as their prices have gone bat guano crazy. I was lucky enough to get a hold of a few good ones a number of years ago.

Name:  DSC00153.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  37.2 KB

These are all black powder frames, chambered in the proper 45 Colt cartridge.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Coal Train,

Where on earth did you find a Standard Manufacture in 44 WFC? I've never seen one, and would have bought it if I had. (smile)
    It must have been 2-3 years ago. For a while they had a wider variation available than just their current Standard offering (pun intended). They had a .38, the ridiculously long target model with a ladder sight, "black powder" frame guns, and the .44 WCF. If you can search back through their Instagram feed they are probably still there.

I happened to have some left over ammunition for a Colt I had in .44 WCF so obviously I needed a gun to go with it. The local gun store was their only stocking dealer at the time so they ordered one for me. I nearly walked away when it arrived because we were a bit off on the trade in value for my 3rd Gen Colt. My friend said, "we ordered this for you, you can't back out now, who is going to come in here and buy a gun in .44-40?!?" Now I know who would have done it!

That is a nice collection of USFA's you have. Another local store used to stock them. I wish now I had bought every one they had!!

User Tag List