Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt's Single Action Army Model of 1873

Colt's Single Action Army Model of 1873

As we (tenatively) begin to (hopefully) round out 2022 and head into 2023 it will be the 150th year of the SAA. In the world of practical shooting this was, in fact, once a practical shooter.

But time marches on and by any objective metric these are obsolete. That said, people are allowed to have fun and they are, among other things, still fun. And while it would also be fun to shoot a modified, greatly shortened field course with a pair of these there is not now nor is there likely to be a faster CAS type game that would encourage such behavior. Which is probably for the best.

Name:  saa2.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  101.8 KB

This one is a recent acquisition. Second gen (1965) 4-3/4" .357 magnum. I don't know what the other one will be yet, I only know that these things absolutely must exist in pairs.

This is mostly a 'passion of the gun' type thread which is also a mostly thinly veiled excuse to note that the 150th anniversary is coming up and people like Lost River or Malamute probably have pics they haven't shared yet. (Also, videos of anyone two fisting a pair of these through the first 10 (or 12) rounds of a USPSA field course is optional but encouraged. Double barrel shotgun optional.)

Timely thread, been eyeing and doing some reading on the Italian clones. So maybe not as passionate but following with interest.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I'm halfway tempted to shoot a match with my Blackhawk.

I'm guessing my best bets for reloads is a dump pouch at 2oclock

I've had a handful of Italians and a pair of USFA but never a Colt or Vaquero. Every time I get the hankering for another I remember I can't see the sights which is why they always end up going down the road and I should stick to practical things like Blackhawks.

But since I've got practical covered, most of the things I'm picking up now are "passion of the gun" related so there may be another in my future and I'll just have to accept the limitations of the sights and my eyes.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If you have a 45 ACP cylinder for your revolver, reloading from a 1911 magazine is a good option. I've found it works better than using speed-strips; it is also a good way to recycle 1911 mags with damaged feed lips. So long as the rounds don't flop out, the magazine will work fine for reloading a revolver cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm halfway tempted to shoot a match with my Blackhawk.

I'm guessing my best bets for reloads is a dump pouch at 2oclock
    Or another cylinder…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Or another cylinder…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I've had a handful of Italians and a pair of USFA but never a Colt or Vaquero. Every time I get the hankering for another I remember I can't see the sights which is why they always end up going down the road and I should stick to practical things like Blackhawks.

But since I've got practical covered, most of the things I'm picking up now are "passion of the gun" related so there may be another in my future and I'll just have to accept the limitations of the sights and my eyes.
    Likewise. It's hard to be passionate about a gun I can't shoot well because I can't see the sights. Sad to say.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

This one is a recent acquisition. Second gen (1965) 4-3/4" .357 magnum. I don't know what the other one will be yet, I only know that these things absolutely must exist in pairs.

As it should be...
    Last edited by tango-papa; 09-26-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    As we (tenatively) begin to (hopefully) round out 2022 and head into 2023 it will be the 150th year of the SAA. In the world of practical shooting this was, in fact, once a practical shooter.

But time marches on and by any objective metric these are obsolete. That said, people are allowed to have fun and they are, among other things, still fun. And while it would also be fun to shoot a modified, greatly shortened field course with a pair of these there is not now nor is there likely to be a faster CAS type game that would encourage such behavior. Which is probably for the best.

This is mostly a 'passion of the gun' type thread which is also a mostly thinly veiled excuse to note that the 150th anniversary is coming up and people like Lost River or Malamute probably have pics they haven't shared yet. (Also, videos of anyone two fisting a pair of these through the first 10 (or 12) rounds of a USPSA field course is optional but encouraged. Double barrel shotgun optional.)
    That's a beautiful piece.

Do want.

User Tag List