Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would change?

Site Supporter

What would change?

What would change for you if the price and availability of 9mm and .45 suddenly flip flopped? If you carry 9mm and don’t reload your own ammunition, would you switch to .45 for the increased availability of both practice and carry/duty use ammunition? Or would the capacity and shooting benefits (really just lower recoil/wear and tear) of the 9mm make the extra cost worth it to you?

I guess the whole question is long hand for: do ammo price and availability outweigh the shooting characteristics of the round itself?

Site Supporter
    I'd stick with 9, though I mostly carrying .380 now.

You do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    What would change for you if the price and availability of 9mm and .45 suddenly flip flopped?
    If you're asking if I would choose a 1911 chambered in .30 Super Carry over one in .45 ACP, the answer is no.

I'm guessing this question doesn't apply to 45 users like me

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    If you're asking if I would choose a 1911 chambered in .30 Super Carry over one in .45 ACP, the answer is no.
    Of course, it is difficult to find a SIG P365 chambered in .45 Auto

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm guessing this question doesn't apply to 45 users like me
    It still applies, would anything about your live fire regimen change?

I suppose it really only doesn’t apply if you load your own ammunition. Even then, as far as I know 9mm brass is cheaper than .45 brass if only by a little bit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Of course, it is difficult to find a SIG P365 chambered in .45 Auto
    Now that sounds like it would not be a fun gun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    I guess the whole question is long hand for: do ammo price and availability outweigh the shooting characteristics of the round itself?
    Shooting characteristics?

This is a 195 power factor out of a 1911. Intended to be Bill Drills except I apparently can't count when I shoot 45ACP. So I shot 5 rounds each time . There was one close C on that IPSC A zone between two runs, with time +/- 0.05 around two seconds.

I would most definitely shoot whatever centerfire caliber was more affordable, 9, 45, or 40. The only difference would be the attention to my elbows' health.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Shooting characteristics?

This is a 195 power factor out of a 1911. Intended to be Bill Drills except I apparently can't count when I shoot 45ACP. So I shot 5 rounds each time . There was one close C on that IPSC A zone between two runs, with time +/- 0.05 around two seconds.

I would most definitely shoot whatever centerfire caliber was more affordable, 9, 45, or 40. The only difference would be the attention to my elbows' health.
    Oh I certainly never meant to imply that you can’t shoot very well with a .45, but it just takes less mental and physical effort to shoot as well with 9mm.

But I agree, I’d shoot whatever was cheapest too. If that was .45 it would make getting into a nice 1911 that much easier!

Just shoot whatever caliber handgun you shoot best. Hits on the target is what we want. With the issues of ammo cost/availability, I'm sure some folks are either shooting less frequently or the same frequency but with less rounds shot per outing. I like to have a baseline of ammo on hand, then restocking after an outing at the range.

I did branch out to a Glock 20, 10mm, just to have an additional caliber available. I did this about a year or so ago. Gotta have options!

User Tag List