Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GT3 needs a new engine

Wow. Sorry to hear about the bad motor. Glad they are covering it under warranty.

Surprised because I thought the GT3 engine was pretty bullet-proof.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Hammertime
    If I recall, your 997 was your autocross car mainly and this one was the daily driver? No need to answer if it will jeopardize warranty. But I don’t see how autocross or even track work would void a warranty on a GT3 which is clearly made for sustained track use.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Surprised because I thought the GT3 engine was pretty bullet-proof.
    It's obviously a defective engine and not representative of what you're likely to experience. GT3 engines do not routinely die at 3,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    If I recall, your 997 was your autocross car mainly and this one was the daily driver? No need to answer if it will jeopardize warranty. But I don’t see how autocross or even track work would void a warranty on a GT3 which is clearly made for sustained track use.
    The warranty covers use but not abuse. Porsche does not draw a distinction between regular driving, untimed HPDEs, or timed racing in its warranty. The company is very receptive to supporting the warranty, however dealerships have a fair amount of say in detecting abuse.

Use that will usually be covered:

I was going WOT on the straight away about 15 minutes into my second track session for an HPDE, and the engine died. I had followed the factory break in period and performed all factory recommended maintenance on time.

I was in a registered time attack racing event and the brakes developed stress cracks. I had followed the factory break in period and performed all factory recommended maintenance on time.

What usually won't be covered:

The engine died at 3,000 miles while driving slowly around town, and I used the car for a single HPDE or autocross in the first 900 miles (still inside the break-in period).

I followed the factory break-in program and performed all factory recommended maintenance, and the powertrain failed while I did a continuous burnout at WOT for 5 minutes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    They said cylinder linings separating but they’re not sure why.
    Corrosion due to never being driven?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Corrosion due to never being driven?
    I don’t think that’s probably the case. Lots of Porsche garage queens out there.

@TGS the car was broken in nicely and per spec. We got it in November after the season had ended so we had plenty of time to put plain Jane miles on it.

We have a very good relationship with our dealership and not worried about coverage and non-coverage.

That being said, we buy all our Porsches in cash and don’t buy cars we aren’t okay pushing off a cliff. You kind of have to be okay with that if you track them.

That’s why we raced Hondas on track before we paid off our house and student loans.

Name:  D98C11B8-960B-453E-9433-463BB5A2F6BD.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  55.9 KB

She’s back with a new motor, muffler and clutch. All complementary thanks to Porsche!

They took care of us well. We had a brand new Macan loaner during the time.

Final report was cylinder scoring.

So Porsche 1 - Cylinder 0 was the final score?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I am really glad Porsche took care of you. When that countershaft(?) bearing thing was going on and I read about a lot of people being stiffed by Porsche I was put off. The cars are way out of my league $wise but that was still a disappointment coming from a company whose cars I have always loved from afar.

Hammertime
    She’s back with a new motor, muffler and clutch. All complementary thanks to Porsche!

They took care of us well. We had a brand new Macan loaner during the time.

That is really cool. What causes cylinder scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I am really glad Porsche took care of you. When that countershaft(?) bearing thing was going on and I read about a lot of people being stiffed by Porsche I was put off. The cars are way out of my league $wise but that was still a disappointment coming from a company whose cars I have always loved from afar.
    you can probably afford a boxster.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List