Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You don’t even need an aftermarket intercooler.
    What are you, my mom? Who said NEED?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What are you, my mom? Who said NEED?
    I’m not the guy that started a new truck thread and gave everyone #NewTruckBlueBalls
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m not the guy that started a new truck thread and gave everyone #NewTruckBlueBalls
    Fun fact reminder: My wife *told* me to buy a new truck.

I showed her the Power Wagon and she likes it, she thought the Ram Box thing was cool. She reaffirmed she'd rather I buy actually new vs used because, and I quote "you take really good care of your stuff", but since it's pretty low miles and certified I'll give it a go. I've got nothing else going on Friday morning anyway, and my son still needs hours of driving so he can haul my ass up there to see it. In my truck. When we went to Wisconsin Dells, she asked what we were going to drive. I said "my truck" and she said "you mean *our son's* truck". Oh, then he owes me $200 for a battery. Then it was still my truck. (She would rather take her car due to gas milage, but I hate her car for anything over 4 hours. It's fast and it's really good on gas, comparatively, but the seats are made out of a thin layer of leather over cinder block and pain. "Sport" seat, indeed.

If the Power Wagon blows my socks off, I'll make an offer. If it doesn't, I think I'm just going to order the Tremor and wait. I'll give Ford a few weeks to see if they come off a PCO, though. Production doesn't start for a few months, no need to get in a big hurry.

My Hemi sounds really awesome. When you're outside. I can't hear it from in the truck very often.
    My 2016 Ram Sport is like that. And it’s come to be the one thing I actually HATE about the truck. I have other minor annoyances, I have *wants* for the new models, I have choices in trim and options I would prefer to have done differently, but I HATE how loud the truck is.

Even just the smallest acceleration to pass and it sounds like I’m trying to race. Remote start the thing and, in addition to the two honks (which can be turned off), you get this obnoxious revving sound that I’m pretty sure isn’t necessary.

I can’t recall if the Sport (used to be a trim, now just an option) was made to be louder than the others, but I think it was and it seems to be. I seem to recall even thinking it was cool when I bought the thing nearly 7 years ago, but now I find it obnoxious and embarrassing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

With a take home for a commute car, the answer is the Power Wagon. As gas prices go up, I've noticed the prices on local, SF Bay Area, 2500s go down. As the big gassers and diesels sit longer on lots as fuel prices will climb, I bet you will be able to make a deal on a new one, or get great financing. Sounds like you will use this as a trip cruiser and off-roading machine, so the PW would fit the bill and has a TON of mods you can do, other than motor because the 6.4 is pretty maxxed out, IMO. I need a daily driver for the wife, so I've put off replacing my 2008 Ram 1500 Big Horn. We're probably going to order a Lexus RX450h in the next few months. If I get a job, I'll be looking at the Ram Rebel and Power Wagon, along with a Ranger Tremor. In all of those vehicles the ONE item I will require is Adaptive Cruise Control. My son's 2109 Mazda 3 AWD has it and it makes long drives, even in an econobox, so much nicer.

You might be able to pick up a used Raptor at an even better price by waiting for the SPR to run out and gas prices to go up.

I purchased my 2008 after the crash, and the fact that my wife, RN, and I had recession-proof jobs allowed me to save big money. I think the housing market is going to crash after the reported Fed rate hike in Nov and many folks will not be able to afford new cars. Might be worth waiting, but you're risking a higher interest rate.

One universal rule: Too much performance, is never enough. I want a Power Wagon.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post

I purchased my 2008 after the crash, and the fact that my wife, RN, and I had recession-proof jobs allowed me to save big money. I think the housing market is going to crash after the reported Fed rate hike in Nov and many folks will not be able to afford new cars. Might be worth waiting, but you're risking a higher interest rate.
    I've been holding off waiting for that crash, but with chip shortages and pent up demand it seems like it's just never quite getting here. I suspect Raptors are more recession proof than a lot of other cars just based on the likely target audience anyway. My crystal ball is real cloudy, but with inflation I'm just not seeing much of a drop between now and March, which is kind of my deadline at the moment. Unless my son gets stationed somewhere he doesn't need a vehicle, then I can push back a bit.

I've been putting money back for quite awhile and since I sold the house I had been renting to my dad recently I can do a cash on the barrel head deal for the trucks I'm considering, so interest rates aren't a huge concern. I'll finance only if it makes sense to.

I've been holding off waiting for that crash, but with chip shortages and pent up demand it seems like it's just never quite getting here. I suspect Raptors are more recession proof than a lot of other cars just based on the likely target audience anyway. My crystal ball is real cloudy, but with inflation I'm just not seeing much of a drop between now and March, which is kind of my deadline at the moment. Unless my son gets stationed somewhere he doesn't need a vehicle, then I can push back a bit.

I've been putting money back for quite awhile and since I sold the house I had been renting to my dad recently I can do a cash on the barrel head deal for the trucks I'm considering, so interest rates aren't a huge concern. I'll finance only if it makes sense to.
    It's worth it to finance if you can pay it off after a month or two with no penalty, even if you have cash, because the dealer usually gets a $3-500 kickback for the financing and might get you a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    It's worth it to finance if you can pay it off after a month or two with no penalty, even if you have cash, because the dealer usually gets a $3-500 kickback for the financing and might get you a better deal.
    Yeah, although there's usually a minimum time you have to carry the loan. I've done it twice for a better deal, including a lease that I paid off on the 13th month to get a manufacturer's kickback that wasn't available for a cash deal.

I'm thinking more of the loan interest rate vs safe dividends, I-bonds, even CDs. If interest rates do skyrocket, a today loan rate is likely lower than a tomorrow safe yield rate. Ford will give you 2.9% financing. FDIC insured CDs are paying more than that at the moment. Sallie Mae is at 3.05% at the moment. Some credit unions are 3.5-4%. I'm getting about 10% on I-bonds, depending on when I bought them, but can't buy any more this year.

I'm getting about 10% on I-bonds, depending on when I bought them, but can't buy any more this year.
    Did your wife also buy them? I believe a married couple can double the allotment that way.

User Tag List