Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I got a 2007 Tundra and I'd get another if I was buying - go Crew Cab instead of the extended I got.

I view a lot of trucks as being very similar or the same, you'd be good with whatever you pick up.

Would a straight F-150 do you just fine? Does the raptor/tremor give you so much more? Is that more something you can just bolt on/switch out if you see the need?
    The Tremor comes with a lot of the options I'd add anyway and ends up being the same or very similar to a Lariat spec'd out the same. It does add several things you can't just bolt on. Notably, the Tremor (high package) and Raptor come with a true locking transfer case with auto function. You get 4wd auto for driving on the road in varying traction (rain, snow) but get a true mechanical lock for off road. Ram and other F-150s it is one or the other, you either get a lock or you get auto. Chevy has no true locking transfer case, not even in the ZR2, clutch only. Clutch is fine for auto, but can overheat and lose 4WD in actual off roading or under higher loads. Raptor is very different with live adjustable shocks, beefed up frame, etc. Power Wagon has front and rear lockers, built in winch, etc.

I do not want halogen headlights again, period. LED reflectors minimum, but strong preference for projectors or HIDs, which eliminates most of the lower trims.

I could, in theory, buy a Lariat or King Ranch and do a mid travel suspension system but it would end up costing more and being less in most regards.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Is there any reason the Silverado 1500, GMC, etc are not on your radar? A SFC I work with here just bought a Silverado 1500 quad cab RST, and despite how ugly GM made the front end, the truck is very nice.
    Lack of a locking transfer case
    Lack of selectable locker in the rear until the very expensive and difficult to procure ZR2
    Lack of a front locker at all, except in ZR2
    Worst fuel economy combined with smallest gas tank. No option for larger tank

If the Silverado ZR2 was priced in line with the Tremor, had a locking transfer case, and had a 35+ gallon tank, and you could actually get one, it would be a strong contender. I like the new interior.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Tremor with 5Star tune if you need more power.
    I've already looked at replacement intercoolers and 93 octane tune that result in stupid power in either Raptor or Tremor, roughly $2500 and a job I can easily do myself. Downside is it makes it difficult to add a front winch without relocating intercooler. Since I'll be alone a lot, a winch is probably a good idea, and I'd be stuck with a less than ideal hitch mount. Which is doable, mind you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The Tremor comes with a lot of the options I'd add anyway and ends up being the same or very similar to a Lariat spec'd out the same. It does add several things you can't just bolt on. Notably, the Tremor (high package) and Raptor come with a true locking transfer case with auto function. You get 4wd auto for driving on the road in varying traction (rain, snow) but get a true mechanical lock for off road. Ram and other F-150s it is one or the other, you either get a lock or you get auto. Chevy has no true locking transfer case, not even in the ZR2, clutch only. Clutch is fine for auto, but can overheat and lose 4WD in actual off roading or under higher loads. Raptor is very different with live adjustable shocks, beefed up frame, etc. Power Wagon has front and rear lockers, built in winch, etc.

I do not want halogen headlights again, period. LED reflectors minimum, but strong preference for projectors or HIDs, which eliminates most of the lower trims.

I could, in theory, buy a Lariat or King Ranch and do a mid travel suspension system but it would end up costing more and being less in most regards.
    You have done serious homework.

I can see the desire for lockers and the advantages but I rarely see where most dudes would need them. Maybe they just get you places you can get stuck worse. If you are rolling a winch and some traction boards, you are going to get out of most things and get someplace to get a steak.

Good luck on getting your ride.

GM/Chevy trucks with the remote starting feature are being stolen by thieves who carry an electronic gadget that hacks, unlocks, and starts the vehicle.

The Toyota Tundra is the most-likely vehicle, in the Houston, Texas metro area, to have its catalytic converters stolen. Not sure about the stats elsewhere.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    GM/Chevy trucks with the remote starting feature are being stolen by thieves who carry an electronic gadget that hacks, unlocks, and starts the vehicle.
    Fob cloning?

Fob cloning?
    I reckon that would be an applicable term. Either cloing the fob, or otherwise, somehow, able to hack the connection. I have no insider knowlege, and do not, to my knowledge, have any contacts among the folks who investigate auto theft.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Is there any reason the Silverado 1500, GMC, etc are not on your radar? A SFC I work with here just bought a Silverado 1500 quad cab RST, and despite how ugly GM made the front end, the truck is very nice.

Of the trucks you've listed, I'd be partial to the Rebel.

The F150 Ecoboost trucks of any trim level make fake V8 engine noise using the stereo and that offends me on a DNA level, and it's kind of a pain to get rid of. Once that's done, the Ecoboost sounds rather lame, and anecdotally the Ecoboost seems to be hit/miss for 100k+ mile reliability even with obsessive maintenance.

'23 is supposed to see the F150 Tremor get a 5.0L V8 and I'd probably hold out for that if I had to go Ford and couldn't find a 'normal' F150 trim package I liked with the 5.0L.
    My 2018 doesn’t make said noise and I know you can disable it in newer trucks. Also, the Ecoboost hauls ass The 5.0 has had issues the past few years, the pre 2017s were good though.

I wouldn’t trust a GM with AFM. Nor a GM diesel.
    #RESIST

I've already looked at replacement intercoolers and 93 octane tune that result in stupid power in either Raptor or Tremor, roughly $2500 and a job I can easily do myself. Downside is it makes it difficult to add a front winch without relocating intercooler. Since I'll be alone a lot, a winch is probably a good idea, and I'd be stuck with a less than ideal hitch mount. Which is doable, mind you.
    You don’t even need an aftermarket intercooler. They’ll sell you three tunes as a package from a nice change from stock, to HOLYSHITTHISTHINGISFAST. Decent veterans discount, too. You can change the tunes in about three minutes in a gas station parking lot or go back to stock. I’m on the 91 octane Performance/Haul tune and drove it 200 miles to my precision rifle/long range class at about 75-80MPH and got almost exactly 20mpg (the mileage went up after I took this pic). If you ever tow at altitude or do anything at altitude or just tow period, the 3.5 spanks the 5.0 soundly. This is the Gen2 engine and the Gen1 was good, too.

Name:  032AEF70-C045-4358-AA9F-5A98B59A33BC.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  26.5 KB
    #RESIST

The F150 Ecoboost trucks of any trim level make fake V8 engine noise using the stereo and that offends me on a DNA level, and it's kind of a pain to get rid of. Once that's done, the Ecoboost sounds rather lame, and anecdotally the Ecoboost seems to be hit/miss for 100k+ mile reliability even with obsessive maintenance.

'23 is supposed to see the F150 Tremor get a 5.0L V8 and I'd probably hold out for that if I had to go Ford and couldn't find a 'normal' F150 trim package I liked with the 5.0L.
    Sorry, I meant to address the rest of your post earlier.

It's not a "Fake V8 engine noise" but yes, there is some enhancement. Forscan is a super cheap program that lets you make changes via OBD port and it's cake to turn it off with that. Don't even need a tuner, just a little blue tooth thingy or a cable and your phone and the program.

My Hemi sounds really awesome. When you're outside. I can't hear it from in the truck very often. I doubt I hear the Ford's motor much more often while actually driving it. My Camaro, you can hear it. I'd like the 6.2L in my truck, just can't do GM for the reasons listed.

You *have* to order a '23 F-150 now, order banks are closed for the '22. The 5.0 is now the base engine, the 3.5 is a roughly $800 option. Ford added that cylinder deactivation tech to the Coyote now, not sure I want to deal with that. Or the temptation to Whipple it. That way lies madness.

My current truck is 10.5 years old and has 80k miles on it. Given my take home car and my Camaro, and my wife's car, I just don't put a ton of miles on any given vehicle. I'll probably be ready to buy an electric hyperdrive time machine by the time this one hits 100k. Seriously, my plan is to drive this until ready retire, and then buy "my last truck" or just rebuild this one indefinitely.

User Tag List