Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You’re saying the PW does NOT come with a front locker?

Does it come with a rear locker? Is the front locker optional?
    No. The new 2500 REBEL doesn't come with a front locker, but has an optional limited slip.

PW comes with selectable front and rear lockers.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The Power Wagon is 2500 only, but it's not a tow rig. I touched on it briefly in the "trucky-ness" section, but because of the soft suspension it has greatly reduced payload and trailer tow ratings. On paper, anyway, a 5.7L 4x4 Ram 1500 with 3.92 gears (like the V8 equipped Rebel) has *more* payload and *more* towing capacity than the 2500 Power Wagon.

PW: 1,630 / 10,590 lb
    Rebel: 1,810 / 11,210 lb
    Non-PW gas 2500: 3,250/ 17,080 (in the same 4x4 6'4" bed configuration, goes higher in other configurations)

What you get is the robustness. A drivetrain, frame, axles, ball joints, brakes, etc. that are designed for double those bigger "normal" 2500 numbers that the springs on the PW won't let you get to. The PW is also geared differently at 4.10 vs, 3.73 for the other gas trucks. Better for acceleration and for offsetting bigger tires.
    Huh, I wasn't aware of any of that. I just saw "2500" and ass-you-me'd "tow". In my case, with near zero offroading fantasies but some potential desire to tow, that's good to know as I love the idea of the PW and could have fucked around and wound up with one.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Huh, I wasn't aware of any of that. I just saw "2500" and ass-you-me'd "tow". In my case, with near zero offroading fantasies but some potential desire to tow, that's good to know as I love the idea of the PW and could have fucked around and wound up with one.
    Yeah, it's kind of a shit choice if you want to tow on road. You can add air bags in the rear springs and/or replace the factory rear coils with Thuren springs and get a lot of the tow rating back plus keep the cushy ride, but then you're paying for a lot of stuff you won't use and you'll have to tinker. Although, in fairness, aftermarket airbags are an extremely common and not very difficult tinker. The brakes and everything are the same, it's just the springs that reduce it so much.

I don't think it's unique to the Ram, but the hitch camera is pretty damned sweet. I can't imagine how many marriages that thing has saved. Being able to see the hitch and ball yourself as you back, and having a guide line on the camera? That's technology I can get behind.

Their prices are incredible. Even paying $800 to have it delivered it would be way cheaper. Or fly in and drive it home, they'd pick me up at the airport.
    In your dealing were you able to get them down below that price in the link? If you don’t want to answer I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    In your dealing were you able to get them down below that price in the link? If you don’t want to answer I get it.
    Yes. Roughly another $1500 and then 1st responder rebate and affiliate code would have been another $1k combined.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    , but wouldn’t the Rebel be less expensive and get you a lot of the same features (I am totally there with you on factory options vs, tinkering!) at a lower price?
    Oh, another thing on the Rebel, it's eTorque only starting in 2023. I'm not sure how I feel about the eTorque for long term ownership as it adds a very expensive battery in to the mix. I get the appeal of it, it saves gas via regenerative braking, supposedly smooths out shifts by keeping the power up while the transmission is between gears, and helps get a load moving. I just don't know it does any of that enough to justify the cost down the road. The battery alone is roughly $1500- $2k.

https://www.carfax.com/phoenix/stick...xhG7Xp07Mh.cfx

This used one just popped up fairly near me, under 10k miles. I don't know if I'll get "the look" again, but I may pitch the idea one more time.

https://www.carfax.com/phoenix/stick...xhG7Xp07Mh.cfx

This used one just popped up fairly near me, under 10k miles. I don't know if I'll get "the look" again, but I may pitch the idea one more time.
    She's onboard with this one, it's low enough miles to be not too used in her book, so we'll see what happens.

She's onboard with this one, it's low enough miles to be not too used in her book, so we'll see what happens.
    That’s a really nice optioned out PW, I’m the trim just under that one. I don’t have the forward Collison stuff and lane assist or ram boxes. But basically the rest is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

The Ford F-150 Tremor was quicker without a doubt, but also clunkier. Turbos, wastegates, and that 10 speed did not make a smooth "2 lane passing" sort of manuever when you got on it hard then left off suddenly. If you stay in it, it takes a bit to catch but then it's gone. I think it's more the 10 speed than the motor, but it's there. The PW is not as quick but is more predicatable and linear, if that makes sense. The big NA motor just does it's thing without drama and the 8 speed is dialed in. Tremor passes in less space, though, and feels sportier.
    I think some of the lag that people are understandably prone to attributing to the turbos is probably more computer processing time. My Focus probably has a single turbo that is bigger than the two on the truck and it responds right away when you stomp it. The truck OTOH doesn't seem to respond so well when you just stomp it. I think it takes a while for the ECM to figure out just exactly WTH you expect it to do, then it downshifts too far (6sp) and spins way up out of the torque. It is probably getting down the road pretty well, but just seems like it is wheezing, and is really unimpressive. Mine is best when you roll into it, and not giving it enough pedal that it calls for a downshift, and just let the big (little?) dog eat. When you get to the top of the on ramp you are going faster than the traffic. Flooring it from a stop goes pretty well, but nailing it to the floor while rolling is kinda funky.

User Tag List