Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I hope you have a lot better luck with that Retrax retractable bed cover than I did. I bought one for my Ram shortly after I bought it brand new and it was literally impossible to keep the rain water out of my bed to where I even had them warranty the side rails which did nothing to the point to where I eventually ended up selling it to a family member and ended up buying one of those painted-to-match solid fiberglass covers from Undercover. Sure, I liked the bed access with the Retrax but I didn’t like my gear getting wet. Hauling big shit in the bed is an issue but for one, I have a little trailer and two, the cover really isn’t all that hard to remove if the trailer just isn’t feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get a little water intrusion on the back edge by the tailgate only and that has to be a major down pour. Trucks too big to go through a car wash with the rack on it so it’s hand wash only. I never expect bed covers to be 100% water tight. The Retrax checked the boxes for side rail mounts, lockable and retracting.

AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I get a little water intrusion on the back edge by the tailgate only and that has to be a major down pour. Trucks too big to go through a car wash with the rack on it so it’s hand wash only. I never expect bed covers to be 100% water tight. The Retrax checked the boxes for side rail mounts, lockable and retracting.

Mine leaked really bad on the bed sides above and around the wheel humps and this was just from rain. I had a little bit of water intrusion around the tailgate but that even happened with my Undercover until I put up some special weatherstripping on the end of the bed that seals the gate.

I do miss not being able to drop my tailgate without opening the tonneau first tho but I guess it’s a price I pay to have a completely bone dry bed and carpeted bed floor even in the worst Oklahoma downpours.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'll get another tri-fold like I have on the 1500. Water tight completely. Easy off if needed. Cheap. Good warranty service if needed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'll get another tri-fold like I have on the 1500. Water tight completely. Easy off if needed. Cheap. Good warranty service if needed.

Which one is that? Before I even bought the Retrax, I thought about one of those Bakflip G2’s but I read where a lot of people were having problems with the seals between the panels cracking creating leaks.

I had an Extang Trifecta 3-panel folding tonneau on my last truck that had that canvas convertible-type material on it that was actually pretty good and pretty waterproof but being that it was that ragtop canvas material, I didn’t figure it would be very secure verses a knife blade so I just sold it with the truck after I got my new one.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Which one is that? Before I even bought the Retrax, I thought about one of those Bakflip G2’s but I read where a lot of people were having problems with the seals between the panels cracking creating leaks.

I had an Extang Trifecta 3-panel folding tonneau on my last truck that had that canvas convertible-type material on it that was actually pretty good and pretty waterproof but being that it was that ragtop canvas material, I didn’t figure it would be very secure verses a knife blade so I just sold it with the truck after I got my new one.

I think it's Tonno Pro. I'll double check once I'm home. I bought it from Summit Racing. First one wore the stitching and rubber seals after 6 years or so and they replaced it free.

That green color is just gorgeous in person. Congratulations!

I had a quad-fold Bakflip and it was great, but it eventually took on water and got very heavy.
    I replaced it with their Revolver Tonneau and am very happy, it is much easier to open and close. It would be venerable to vandalism because it is a vinyl cover, but has an interlocked aluminum structure under it. The seal seems to be very good, but I have a couple of holes on each side from a cap I used to have that I never bothered to plug.

I finally drove my Power Wagon today, first time since bringing it home. I drove down to my hometown during the day and back home at night. Random observations:

The active headlights are a-fucking-plus amazing. The amount of light cast to the side is so much better quality than my old truck, your odds of spotting a deer before it's a problem are vastly improved. Straight ahead, it's at least as good as the HIDs on my Camaro, probably a touch better. If you pay attention you can watch the beams follow your path as you steer. It's very noticeable on sharp turns, like into a driveway, but is more subtle on sweeping curves in the road. This fixes my biggest complaint with my old truck, the headlights suuuucked. With these lights, the seating position, the sheer amount of glass to look out, visibility is now the tits night or day.

Power delivery is silky smooth and super linear. On ramp 40-75 and swing-out-passing 65-85 are drama free and just glider smooth. It's not the fastest truck out there, but it never feels like it's straining. Without the speedometer, I'd have been running in the low 80s constantly. It's so smooth, quiet, and just massive that there's very little sensation of speed.

Hands down the best factory stereo I've ever had.

Heated steering wheel was something I didn't know I needed. Honestly, I still don't need it...but it's nicer than I thought it would be. It turns it on for me automatically when its under 40.

Downsides:

Fuel economy sucks ass. Duh. Don't care, but still wish the tank was bigger so the range would be longer.

Amazon Music and Android Auto don't play together that well. Known issue where Google voice commands don't work with Amazon Music. NP, I just had to enable Alexa on my phone and then use the correct voice command input. Alexa to control music, Google to control navigation.

I'm completely satisfied with my choice and can't think of anything I'd replace this truck for at this point.

Site Supporter
    I finally drove my Power Wagon today, first time since bringing it home. I drove down to my hometown during the day and back home at night. Random observations:

The active headlights are a-fucking-plus amazing. The amount of light cast to the side is so much better quality than my old truck, your odds of spotting a deer before it's a problem are vastly improved. Straight ahead, it's at least as good as the HIDs on my Camaro, probably a touch better. If you pay attention you can watch the beams follow your path as you steer. It's very noticeable on sharp turns, like into a driveway, but is more subtle on sweeping curves in the road. This fixes my biggest complaint with my old truck, the headlights suuuucked. With these lights, the seating position, the sheer amount of glass to look out, visibility is now the tits night or day.

Power delivery is silky smooth and super linear. On ramp 40-75 and swing-out-passing 65-85 are drama free and just glider smooth. It's not the fastest truck out there, but it never feels like it's straining. Without the speedometer, I'd have been running in the low 80s constantly. It's so smooth, quiet, and just massive that there's very little sensation of speed.

Hands down the best factory stereo I've ever had.

Heated steering wheel was something I didn't know I needed. Honestly, I still don't need it...but it's nicer than I thought it would be. It turns it on for me automatically when its under 40.

Downsides:

Fuel economy sucks ass. Duh. Don't care, but still wish the tank was bigger so the range would be longer.

Amazon Music and Android Auto don't play together that well. Known issue where Google voice commands don't work with Amazon Music. NP, I just had to enable Alexa on my phone and then use the correct voice command input. Alexa to control music, Google to control navigation.

I'm completely satisfied with my choice and can't think of anything I'd replace this truck for at this point.
    Super glad you are happy...And...I like one with the squiggle on the front...😜😛🤣🤪

pat

Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Dang, that’s pretty cool. I didn’t know the new ones had headlights that move with the turns. Nice.

You got that big 392ci in there but it’s pretty sad they won’t up the HP/TQ any higher than what it is at 410/429 which isn’t much over the current 5.7 power specs although I heard they were a lot better now with the 8-speed as opposed to the doggish 6-speed they had prior.
    That’s also something I never thought I needed but now that I have it, I’m not afraid to say it’s something I need because it sure is nice on those cold mornings…lol.

Glad to hear it and with the way the newer vehicles are going these days, hopefully it continues to impress you for many years to come.

I just made the last payment on mine back in the summertime and being that I’ve got the lifetime warranty on mine, I’ll probably be driving this thing for quite some time.

User Tag List