Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've talked myself into the PW pretty firmly at this point. If I can't find a 75th anniversary I like pretty shortly I'm just ordering the new one.

I've been reliably informed I'd be happier in a blue truck this time. Fair enough, the red and black is a little University of Louisville-y and the hydro blue or patriot blue both look nice with the two tone. I'm thinking hydro.

I'm settled on options except a sunroof. It's just a regular sunroof, not the big panoramic thing in the Fords. No complaints of noise, and only occasional complaints of leaks. Those are almost entirely due to clogged drains, and I'm fine with PM. Honestly, I don't open the roof all that often on my Camaro but I do like the light and have the sunscreen open quite a bit. I figure it's not a big deal either way.

Ram boxes, not if I order. I get the utility but it does make the bed smaller and I like the cleaner bed sides aesthetically. Not a make/break either way on a used.

There's no HUD offered on the 3/4 ton Rams, only the 1/2 ton. No "multifunction tailgate", which on the Ram lets you open it like barn doors to have easier access to the bed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Ram boxes, not if I order. I get the utility but it does make the bed smaller and I like the cleaner bed sides aesthetically. Not a make/break either way on a used.

There's no HUD offered on the 3/4 ton Rams, only the 1/2 ton. No "multifunction tailgate", which on the Ram lets you open it like barn doors to have easier access to the bed.
    If I were to buy another Ram (which is pretty unlikely at this point, not because I don’t like mine but because mine seems to be doing just fine) I’d want both of those for sure, along with a rolling tonneau. That combo would be ideal to me, given how infrequently I actually out stuff in the bed, how much crap I store in the truck day to day, and the stuff I do carry when I carry it.

Fwiw if you do want the ability to carry some stuff, I have two swing cases (started with one, added the second, lots of day to day shit, remember?) and I’m quite happy with them. And they are removable if you need the space.

https://www.swingcase.us/?gclid=CjwK...RoCJ68QAvD_BwE
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Do you include the Tundra in your "domestic" category? By cars.com's methodology the Tundra is the most American pickup. By the Kogod School of Business' methodology, the non hybrid F150 and v6 Ram 1500 are more American than the Tundra.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/is-the-...-the-ram-1500/

Thought exercise: It is the year 2035 and your grandchild has gotten stuck camping/off roading and can't get ahold of his dad. It is just above freezing and rain is falling as you turn off the asphalt onto the dirt. You bounce around for a couple of miles picking your line on the rutted road between swipes of the windshield wiper before coming to a muddy creek crossing. What truck do you imagine yourself in?
    I’m Tundra all the way.

My 2008 has 270,000 miles on it and shows no signs of giving up. It’s my Son’s now.

I almost like my 2019 4x4 as much, except Toyota really screwed the pooch on the 3rd Gen cab. No passenger side climate control, rear seats don’t recline or fold down (I could stash half of a Home Depot out-of-sight behind the seat of my ‘08). Of course, I’m not hauling around kids on long road trips anymore, so reclining rear seats aren’t a big plus, but IDK who thought foldup seats were a good idea. Yeah, you can carry a lot of shit …in one big pile that where you can’t access any one thing.

Before that it was a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 that sucked. The front end was downright scary. Hit a small bump at speed and the front wheels would start porpoising. A stiff breeze could fuck up the front end alignment, and it was impossible to turn in 4WD.

4x4 suspension and off-road tires don’t make for the most pleasant road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’m Tundra all the way.

My 2008 has 270,000 miles on it and shows no signs of giving up. It’s my Son’s now.

I almost like my 2019 4x4 as much, except Toyota really screwed the pooch on the 3rd Gen cab. No passenger side climate control, rear seats don’t recline or fold down (I could stash half of a Home Depot out-of-sight behind the seat of my ‘08). Of course, I’m not hauling around kids on long road trips anymore, so reclining rear seats aren’t a big plus, but IDK who thought foldup seats were a good idea. Yeah, you can carry a lot of shit …in one big pile that where you can’t access any one thing.

Before that it was a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 that sucked. The front end was downright scary. Hit a small bump at speed and the front wheels would start porpoising. A stiff breeze could fuck up the front end alignment, and it was impossible to turn in 4WD.

I have split climate controls on my 22 Tundra. I'm coming from an 09 ram 1500 so the underseat storage isn't a change for me. The seats don't fold up to where you gain any space doing so (I have a double cab). There is a little bit of storage behind the seat..

I'm pretty happy with it although there are some things that irritate me at times. Primarily the the babysitting features, and the incessant beeping about everything. If the truck is running and you shut a door while you are outside it will beep 8x. God help you if youbledt the truck running and are loading some stuff in various sides of the cab. The traction control is overbearing. I don't think they test drove it on washboards as it will pretty much lock up the brakes if it starts under steering on a washboard corner.

Partially turning off the traction control can only be done under 10mph. To disable it "completely" you have to be In park and hold the button for what seems like forever. It then has a warning message in your center dash that reappears after a few seconds even when you clear it. It also does this when you select any of the "offroad" driving modes. This is hilarious because the center display will show you pitch and roll of the vehicle.....which is unable to be displayed in any if the offroad modes because the warning keeps popping up.

I really do like it, but there are a couple things that make me shake my head and sometimes curse the ancestry of every single Toyota engineer that ever even looked at that truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Dang. My 98 Ram 4x4 half-ton I had way back in the day was a beast aside from the corporate limited slip rear diff eventually starting to make a little noise from one too many trips up Jeep trails in the SW Colorado Rockies even with 33” tires compared to the 29” stockers it rolled off the factory line with. Never once had it aligned and it never did have abnormal tire wear. It was a badass truck, just a little underpowered from the little 318 V8. Wish it woulda had the the 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is mostly for me, since it took me a bit to sort out the exact differences between top trim and mid trim on the Power Wagon:

• 17 Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound vs 9 Alpine® Speakers with Subwoofer
    • Bi-Function LED Projector Headlamps vs reflector LED headlamps
    • Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly Transfer Case vs floor mounted lever
    • Front and Rear Floor Mats
    • Power Wagon Vertical Bar Grille vs honey comb
    • Aluminum Litho w/Black Trim Instrument Panel Bezels vs ??
    • "Power Wagon" Instrument Panel Badge vs ??
    • Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats vs Leather-Trimmed 40/20/40 Bench Seat (optional on mid trim, but possibly different leather)
    • Luxury Door Trim Panel
    • Black Rotary Shifter with Silver Stripe
    • Uconnect® 5 Nav with 12.0-Inch Touch Screen Display (optional on mid trim)

You've got to be kidding me. I tried to finalize my order and put a deposit down, and the build she sent me was for a Rebel. I pointed out the 2GR is a Rebel and not the PW, which is a 2GP. She tried to change it and...

"2GP is no longer available to build. "

Apparently you can't even order a 2023 right now unless you want the Rebel.

You've got to be kidding me. I tried to finalize my order and put a deposit down, and the build she sent me was for a Rebel. I pointed out the 2GR is a Rebel and not the PW, which is a 2GP. She tried to change it and...

"2GP is no longer available to build. "

Apparently you can't even order a 2023 right now unless you want the Rebel.
    I know you’re probably not interested in it but I found out for 2023 they’re coming out with a HD 3/4-ton Rebel thats almost like the PW but it’ll be available with the 6.7 Cummins but it wont have the front and rear lockers or the electronic sway bar disconnects. I thought that was pretty neat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I know you’re probably not interested in it but I found out for 2023 they’re coming out with a HD 3/4-ton Rebel thats almost like the PW but it’ll be available with the 6.7 Cummins but it wont have the front and rear lockers or the electronic sway bar disconnects. I thought that was pretty neat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's the Rebel mentioned, and no, I'm not interested. I want the offroad ability of the PW, not the towing capacity of a regular 2500 and the rough ride that comes with it. The Rebel is sprung like the other 2500s to regain towing capacity. I also have zero interest in diesel.

Decisions are hard - truck edition

That's the Rebel mentioned, and no, I'm not interested. I want the offroad ability of the PW, not the towing capacity of a regular 2500 and the rough ride that comes with it. The Rebel is sprung like the other 2500s to regain towing capacity. I also have zero interest in diesel.
    Oh ok, I guess I musta missed that because it seemed to me you were talking about the half-ton Rebel at first- or at least before, that’s what I was referring to until I found out here recently that they were making a 2500 version.

But yeah, back almost 5 years ago when I was shopping for my truck, I wasn’t interested in a PW only because if my towing needs were to some day change, that PW wouldn’t be a good candidate for that if a future travel trailer was be discussed so I was looking at basically the 2500 version of what I eventually bought but it would’ve had the factory rear air ride so that when you’re not towing, you don’t have the heavy duty steel 3/4-ton suspension beating you to death but since at the time all they had was the 6-speeds, after a test drive of one of those even with that big motor, I wasn’t impressed. If I woulda waited another couple years I might would have bought one with the heavier 8-speed.

I used to have interest in diesel- still have interest but not for a daily driver ever since the EPA started jacking with the emissions. Far as I’m concerned, the only time I’ll have something like that is if I absolutely need it when nothing else would do. I even said no to the EcoDiesel. Great mileage but DEF, particulate filters, regens and more expensive oil changes and fuel filter changes just don’t excite me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List