Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PF Hurricane Thread 2022

NOAA has a viewable map of the damage here.

Wow, just wow.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Well, down to tropical storm status, but we've been gusting to 30+ mph in NW Central NC. Fair number of trees down in my neighborhood. Been on generator power since about 1800. Looks to be past us around 0400.
    Good luck, W. It was a non-event for us. A bit of rain and 15 mph winds. We were really fortunate to not have any ill effects here in this part of the mountains.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I worked the whole storm in the north Orlando area, our shift got called in 16 hours early before winds got too intense(normally 0800-0800) to run a second engine and rescue out of the station. Didn’t really have anything going on until about 3am when we all woke up to dispatch and the crew on the call ran into a foot of water in the bay that quickly overtook the rest of the station. Literally had catfish swimming around the trucks. Had to park our engine on high ground at a hospital across the street and trek thigh high water to and from every call. Eventually the water started to recede and most the calls through the day were alarm systems going off from power failure. Seems most of my area has power back with a few outliers today. Station is filled with dehumidifiers and fans running with baseboards and such pulled back. So far it seems most people are happy it flooded to further justify the new station we’re supposed to get soon.

Power is back! Took about 4 days from the time it went out until restoration. On average I was using about 9-10 gallons / 24 hours. This was for fridge, computer/monitor, occasional TV and 2 portable ACs. I was also using microwave/electric cooktop.

I also found having a Kill-a-Watt invaluable. My generator would change power frequency, causing my UPS to stop recognizing the power, as the load changed. I had to adjust the governor screw a number of times to get closer to 60HZ for power output.
    Last edited by Andy T; 10-02-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Well, that wasn’t fun. Just now able to access internet from my phone. Comms were “spotty” at best until today. We have water pressure but authorities are recommending that any water for consumption be boiled. No power yet. Estimate of 8 Oct for the lights to come back on. House has some minor facia/soffit damage. New impact windows went in back in July. One of them narrowly avoided testing its capability. Our mango tree had 5 huge branches ripped off with one landing against a window another nearly skewering my daughter’s Camry. There was some water intrusion around these new windows that was disturbing. The company is going to get a call tomorrow about it. My wife has ups and downs. Considering what we just went through, she gets to be rattled.

Several hospitals in the area were evacuated post storm due to lack of water pressure. Fort Myers Beach kinda doesn’t exist anymore. Sanibel and Captiva are unrecognizable. The causeway to SanCap washed out in places and part of the bridge span is gone.

Yesterday, we heard that I75, US41 and US17 were closed due to flooding. That really took the wind out of our sails as those are the primary truck routes to SWFL. I understand that 75 and 41 are back in service.

Let’s NOT do this again , okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    Sanibel and Captiva are unrecognizable. The causeway to SanCap washed out in places and part of the bridge span is gone.
    The Sanibel lighthouse, before and after:
    Name:  Sanibel.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  56.2 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Sanibel lighthouse, before and after:
    Name:  Sanibel.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  56.2 KB
    I had not seen that. Several coworkers lost their homes. I am grateful to have an intact home and, above all, my family is safe. It’ll be a long road back to pre storm SWFL. Not sure the area will ever fully recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    Not sure the area will ever fully recover.
    this is an interesting topic to me.

Arguably New Orleans (Katrina) still hasn't, but Miami (Andrew) has and then some.

The politicization of the storm has gotten one thing right, and that is that there is a fair amount of money in the areas hardest hit and (if our business of building apartments & condos is any indication) was poised for an even greater influx. I suppose that, on that note, whether or not the population influx of "affluent" people continues depends to some degree on how the businesses recover.

I saw an interview with the mayor of Ft Meyers, and he got at least one thing right, and that is that the immediate focus needs to be on fixing roads, bridges and other infrastructure. No point replacing a mobile home you can't get to, doesn't have power, and can't flush the shitter.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I have to wonder if we will see a serious uptick in wind resistant building in the municipalities.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have to wonder if we will see a serious uptick in wind resistant building in the municipalities.
    Hurricane Andrew resulted in a mass overhaul of the Florida Building Code, and the areas affected by Ian would be covered by the Wind-Borne Debris Region portions of that update.

What many people don't realized is that the various pictures we see of horrific loss are of structures not covered by current code. Or even the previous, or the previous previous.

Yes, Charley followed basically this same path, but it was much less devastating for a variety of reasons.

Something that's also not perhaps immediately clear in this situation is the impacts of flooding vs wind. There is certainly wind damage, but a lot of what we are hearing about is flood damage. I heard one case where a homeowner built above the 100 year flood plain (15 ft up, in their case, IIRC) and they STILL wound up with 24 in of standing water in their home. Sadly, many people are going to get super-hosed because they don't carry flood insurance because their mortgage company doesn't require it, because they aren't in a flood zone. and double-sadly, if you're not in a flood zone flood insurance is stupid cheap.

Other than making everyone build on stilts, and making them include frangible walls, there's not much code change to make re: flooding.

Name:  figurea_colors8.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  55.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List