Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Hurricane Thread 2022

Site Supporter

PF Hurricane Thread 2022

Unfortunately it looks like it’s that time again with Ian forecast to track along the west coast of the Florida peninsula though were too far out for a good prediction on where it will make land fall. Hopefully our affected folks can batten down the hatches and ride this out without too much drama.

Edited because I got my east and west confused.

This is going to be my first hurricane in SW FL. Any insights/suggestions from "old-timers? How much fuel for my generator should I store ahead ?

I’m a little concerned - my best friend lives two blocks from the shore of Tampa Bay in Gulfport, and works almost on the beach on Anna Maria Island with one of those jobs that she must be there (USPS.) Plus she’s having surgery Tuesday.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

A friend's son is in CENTCOM, lives a mile from McDill AFB gate. First round evac.
    Another friend, actually that friend's sister, lives in St Leo, inland north of Tampa.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    This is going to be my first hurricane in SW FL. Any insights/suggestions from "old-timers? How much fuel for my generator should I store ahead ?
    Well, gas lines just plain suck. And if Ian comes to visit, gas won't be getting cheaper any time soon. Get plenty. Top off vehicles and then try to get enough gas to carry you through several days of generating. You can dump any left over into vehicles and what not. The gas thing will generally settle down several days after the storm, but electricity *could* be out longer than that. (Power coming back is a wild card. It could work out that you have power at some point, and the people across the street do not. You never know. But if Ian rakes the state of FL, that will be a lot of lines down. It might be a minute.)

Also, you don't have to run the penny continuously. Cycle it off and on to cool down the fridge and house/room; and then give it a break for a while 45 - 60 minutes at a go might be about right. Folk generally run them thru the night so as to sleep in the AC. (You have a window unit, right?)

Good luck.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

PF Hurricane Thread 2022

I’m a ways up the coast but this will be the first one I’ve ever really had to deal with. We’re still getting settled from the move too so I’m not nearly as stocked on the usual things that I would be. We’re also supposed to be in the field on Saturday which would be interesting.

My in laws are driving down to their new beach house in OBX today, which I really don’t understand. I don’t think NC will get hammered based on the predicated path of Ian but that house is literally across the street from the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Current track has trended east.

Name:  C94D33F6-C208-448E-B882-61A505A9E021.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  81.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Current track has trended east.

Name:  C94D33F6-C208-448E-B882-61A505A9E021.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  81.9 KB
    Hating the current track. Keeps getting closer to home. It’s going to be a suck fest for a few days.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    Hating the current track. Keeps getting closer to home. It’s going to be a suck fest for a few days.
    Good luck with everything. I’m afraid that Tampa and St. Pete are going to get hammered by this thing.

I’m not trying to freak folks out and don’t even live down there. But, we learned about how displacement of people from large urban areas can cause problems for small communities that they aren’t used to handling during Katrina in my recent memory and Andrew from people I’ve talked to who went through that.

The current cultural zeitgeist has me a bit more worried about what kinds of looting and civil unrest compared to a decade ago that we might see, but I’ll leave it at that so this doesn’t get punted to politics.

I've never lived through a hurricane in FL, but my wife weathered Andrew with her family in southern Miami. The only reason they lived is they abandoned their house after the windows got sucked out - about an hour later a tornado smashed a good chunk of it flat.

On the question of how much gasoline to stock - get all you can. After Sandy in NY, we had WEEKS of gas lines. Drinking water is the other thing you can never have enough of. Post Andrew the tap water was non-potable for weeks and weeks due to contamination.

Praying hard for all you guys in the track of this one. Stay safe and let us know if there's anything we "inlanders" can do...

User Tag List