Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a Smith & Wesson 2.75 Model 69

Has anyone ever had the internal lock bind the gun up in these harder-recoiling calibers? As I understand it it's more likely with small, lightweight revolvers with Magnum cartridges, so the 69 might be big enough not to fall under that category.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    Have both barrel lengths since they first came out. Have been using the 2.75" mostly for the last couple of yrs. Have a pair and a spare. Guns handle recoil better than one would expect, especially with the Hogue Tamers. Shoot mine a couple of times a week.
    2 3/4" w/Modified Hogue Tamers (rounded butt and removed finger groves).

50 yd group rested on range bag - verified on differnt day:

Pick the load that works best for your intended use from mild .44 specials to heavy botique loads
    Here are some chrono results
    Three rounds at 5 Long paces from muzzle and 68 deg F. Larger sample could change the results a bit. Largest ES was 42 fps.
    Larger sample could change the results a bit. Largest ES was 42 fps.
    240gr Commercial Cast SWCBB coated 5.0gr WST deep seated and crimped over fr dr band - 697fps
    240gr Commercial cast SWCBB coated 17.5gr 2400 deep seated crimped over fr dr band - 1,100 fps
    240gr Zero JSP 9.0gr H Universal – 930 fps (muzzle Labradar)
    225gr Barnes XFB with 18.1 gr A#9 avg (1,214 fps (muzzle vel from Labradar)
    240gr Cutting Edge Flat Point Mono – 22.6 H110 1,218 fps (1,247 fr 2.5” 329 Alaska Backpacker)
    240gr Zero JSP with 24.0gr H110 avg 1,126 fps
    240gr JHP Fed Factory avg 1,125 fps (bought at an estate sale “44a 1981 production” – 1,375 fps from 7 ½” RSBH)
    260gr WFNGC w/23.0gr H110 avg 1,125 fps
    265gr CSWCGC (Lyman Thompson) with 17.5gr A2400 (Deep Seat – crimped over front drive band) 1,119 fps avg
    265gr SWCGC (429244) 23.5gr H110, seated and crimped in crimp grove in Mag cases ---------- 1,162 fps.
    310gr FNGCDC (Lee) with 20.0gr H110 avg 1,100 fps
    325gr WLNGC (BTB) with 22.0gr H110 avg 1,104 fps

I Was curious, so I bought some 305gr Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo – here are chrono results.
    Buffalo Bore, 305 LBT LFN HC rated 1,325 fps
    Underwood, 305 LFNGC Plated (HiTech?) rated 1,325 fps
    LabRadar muzzle velocity at 33 deg F
    S&W M69 2.75" ===> BB 1,195 fps ===> Under 1,147fps
    S&W M69 4.25" ===> BB 1,276 fps ===> Under 1,248 fps
    Ruger SRH 7.5" ===> BB 1,395 fps ===> Under 1,315 fps

My most used load is the 240/265gr 17.5 2400.

Paul
    Thanks for the detailed reload information. I would reload for one as well so that's great information. This is more of a want than a need thing, although we do have a large population of Black Bears around here. (Honey we NEED One Because Of The Bears)...

Nice Shooting by the way.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I’d get a .357/.38 special over a .44 Special: more ammo choices, and greater availability of ammo. .44 special seems to have a muzzle enters of around 300-350 ft/lbs in commonly available commercial loads, and you get very close to that in +P .38 special. If you’re just punching horses in paper, .38 special will be very easy on the hands, but you can bounce up to .357 to shoot moose.

Www.ballistics101.com has plenty of charts for various calibers/brands of ammo.
    I have .38/357 covered. Moose are not an issue here in the Panhandle of Florida. LOL Black Bears on the other hand are. We have them wandering around neighborhoods and climbing fences into back yards. Thanks for the ballistics link.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

69 or GP100

I have a 4.5" 69 @ 37.2 oz and a 5" GP 100 @ 38 oz. Both wear red dot reflex scopes. I prefer the GP because the GP points (handles) and fits my hand, the best.
    I should add, I am a bit bias because I also shoot a GP 357 full lug 5" @ 43.2 oz and despite the 5.2 oz weight difference, the GPs feel the same.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

I’ve had the 4.25” for a few years now, it was my UP gun. The 2.75” has always appealed, though - it’s on my someday-if-I-find-a-good-deal list.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I'd just like to state the obvious, you're all a bunch of enablers. However I have been guilty as charged on several occasions. Thanks for the information so far, I have not pulled the trigger yet....

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Has anyone ever had the internal lock bind the gun up in these harder-recoiling calibers? As I understand it it's more likely with small, lightweight revolvers with Magnum cartridges, so the 69 might be big enough not to fall under that category.
    I bought a part for a gun I don't even own yet so I have a plug sitting on a shelf for when I finally find one and get it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I bought a part for a gun I don't even own yet so I have a plug sitting on a shelf for when I finally find one and get it.
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing to do....

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing to do....

Hi, my name is Crazy Dane and I have a problem...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Hi, my name is Crazy Dane and I have a problem...
    Ok I'm bidding on GB. So I have a problem...

User Tag List