Thread: SA35

Angry SA35

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with their new SA35 not extracting. It was running 11% failure rate so Springfield replaced the extractor and the barrell, but I haven't shot it enough to get an accurate assessment. Seems to be about 1% now. The odd thing to me is that when it does fail, the empty will fall right out when I just point it up so it's not like the case is stuck. I've tried different brands of ammunition and Remington seems to be the worst offender. These are all factory new rounds, no reloads, FMG. Other than that, I really like this gun. Very accurate

I don’t have one yet, but there’s another thread with expansive info. Starting around posts 671 +/- some posts, there’s discussions of failures to extract, including a fix with stronger extractor spring.

Garand thumb and others reported extractor issues.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....er-back/page68

I've had the exact same problem. I sent it back to Springfield twice and allegedly they fired 75 rds without a problem the 2nd time after replacing the extractor, extractor spring, barrel and magazine. I haven't gotten it to the range yet, but I'm going to try today.

I noticed several times that if the extraction issue occurred on the last round in the magazine, the slide locked back and the case was left sitting on top of the follower. Every other failure to extract resulted in a type 3 malfunction. When I wrote to SA, I ventured the idea that maybe the problem wasn't a failure to extract, it was a failure to eject. Maybe the ejector is a touch too short. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    I've had the exact same problem. I sent it back to Springfield twice and allegedly they fired 75 rds without a problem the 2nd time after replacing the extractor, extractor spring, barrel and magazine. I haven't gotten it to the range yet, but I'm going to try today.

I noticed several times that if the extraction issue occurred on the last round in the magazine, the slide locked back and the case was left sitting on top of the follower. Every other failure to extract resulted in a type 3 malfunction. When I wrote to SA, I ventured the idea that maybe the problem wasn't a failure to extract, it was a failure to eject. Maybe the ejector is a touch too short. We'll see.
    Sounds like you should should do the 10-8 extractor test.

My vintage '62 Browning Hipower has the same last round problem of the last empty doing a 180 in the chamber.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Unhappy SA 35

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post

Thanks for the reply. Springfield didn't mention the extractor spring but I think I'll get a stronger one installed. My malfunctions always happen before the last round.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My vintage '62 Browning Hipower has the same last round problem of the last empty doing a 180 in the chamber.
    In 1911s at least, my understanding is that this likely indicates an extractor that isn’t properly fitted and/or tuned - it isn’t working correctly for the other rounds either, but the following round pushing up helps “mask” the problem, hence problems with just the last one in a mag.

The 10-8 extractor test mentioned above has all testing done without a mag inserted for that reason. I’ve had a gun that was having intermittent extraction issues during normal use show near 100% failure during the test, because it doesn’t have the mag or an upcoming round “helping.” Definitely confirmed what my problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    In 1911s at least, my understanding is that this likely indicates an extractor that isn’t properly fitted and/or tuned - it isn’t working correctly for the other rounds either, but the following round pushing up helps “mask” the problem, hence problems with just the last one in a mag.

The 10-8 extractor test mentioned above has all testing done without a mag inserted for that reason. I’ve had a gun that was having intermittent extraction issues during normal use show near 100% failure during the test, because it doesn’t have the mag or an upcoming round “helping.” Definitely confirmed what my problem was.
    It's got the old style internal extractor, so that's muy possible.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I took it to the range yesterday and it appears that they got it fixed the second time. 50+ rounds, no malfunctions, accuracy was good and POA/POI at 15yds (max at this indoor range). I emptied mags at a good place to see if heat caused any problems and they didn't. I have a smile on my face.

User Tag List