Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Distance for Offset RDS on 14.5” Rifle?

Zero Distance for Offset RDS on 14.5” Rifle?

I’ve ordered a Holosun EPS to mount on an Arisaka Offset on a 14.5” that has the PA SLX 3x Micro as the primary. I’m curious what zero distance those of you with more experience have found most useable. I may also move the EPS to another rifle with an LPVO. Currently this is a proof of concept for me.

My initial thought is 25 yards or would 50 yards be better? Rifle is general purpose.

Thanks!

Zeros are always a debate on ARs and you will get different opinions, so rather than say what the best zero is I'll just tell you what I've landed on.
    I zero offset red dots and offset irons just like they are primary optics, at 100 yards. Height over bore compensation is going to be a thing at close range, so I feel I should be able to also make hits at range with the offset. I like the 100 yard zero instead of the 50/200 because I like the simplicity of just memorizing a few holdovers and no hold"unders", and the primary range I shoot at is a 100 yard range. With a 50 yard zero, you really need to confirm it at 200 as there will usually be windage corrections at that distance.

I'd zero at whatever distance you zero the primary optic at. I don't think I'd want to have two zeros on the same gun when the power difference is only 3x. I can see having two zeroes for a 1-10x lpvo, though

I’m also in the one zero for everything no matter how / where it’s mounted club. 50/200 on rifles in my case.

Appropriate time for this thread. With the EPS Carry being such a compact optic, yet being sealed, I wonder whether it has more utility than conventional iron sights on the carbine as a secondary sighting system?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Appropriate time for this thread. With the EPS Carry being such a compact optic, yet being sealed, I wonder whether it has more utility than conventional iron sights on the carbine as a secondary sighting system?
    My thoughts exactly. Paired with the small prism scope it could be an effective and handy configuration. I ordered the larger EPS instead of the Carry as I found a red 2 MOA and don’t believe the slight size increase will be a problem as an offset dot. The EPS could prove to be the secondary sight of choice given the enclosed design.

The PA manual recommends a 50 yard zero on a 14.5” if shooting XM193 which is what. Shoot most of the time. I also currently load my defensive mags with Black Hills 50 gr TSX. Per StrelokPro these zeros are extremely close.

I may adjust my zeros if I change loads to the IMI 77 gr. My rifles with LPVOs are zeroed to the IMI load so will probably stick with the 50/55 gr loads for now.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Paired with the small prism scope it could be an effective and handy configuration. I ordered the larger EPS instead of the Carry as I found a red 2 MOA and don’t believe the slight size increase will be a problem as an offset dot. The EPS could prove to be the secondary sight of choice given the enclosed design.

The PA manual recommends a 50 yard zero on a 14.5” if shooting XM193 which is what. Shoot most of the time. I also currently load my defensive mags with Black Hills 50 gr TSX. Per StrelokPro these zeros are extremely close.

I may adjust my zeros if I change loads to the IMI 77 gr. My rifles with LPVOs are zeroed to the IMI load so will probably stick with the 50/55 gr loads for now.
    Good thought — plus the larger EPS has solar and auto, which as I recall, the EPS Carry does not.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My struggle right now is whether I want an offset dot anymore. I ran offset iron sights when I was stuck in budget LPVO land. However, this year I decided to shed one-time tears and put a Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6 on my primary rifle that had the offset irons. I took them off because the 1x on that optic is so good, so forgiving, and the dot is so bright that I just don't see the need anymore. I get the scenario of being on 6x and having to take a close shot, I know about the offset dot advantage on weak side barricades, optic fogging, open division 3 gun, etc. I'm just not in those situations and it's nice not having anything hanging off the side of the rifle.
    All that said, the EPS is exciting to me not only for my carry gun, but if I do decide I want an offset it seems like the perfect choice. The only problem I see is the mini dots by Holosun always have their adjustment on the left and it seems to be obstructed by the nature of how it has to mount on the offset.

Personally I zero all scopes at 100m and all red dots at 50m. Rifles are 100 as that is needed for reticle aubtensions to line up, red dots are 50 because that allows me to just put the dot on target for the type of precision I feel is realistic for a 1x dot, out to 200m for a 5.56.

I would not reccomend a 25y/m 0 in a rifle because you will really need to hold under if shooting 100-150y/m. Obviously everyones situation is different though, if you never see yourself shooting that far with the dot maybe the 25y 0 makes sense since you will have less offset at short range.

Site Supporter
    All sights on the gun get zeroed the same.

Don't want pesky math involved in transitioning between different sights involved on the same gun.

Teach/ use 50/200, but am rethinking the 100 yard zero....

pat

User Tag List