Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Storm Rising: The Dance of the Vampires

Red Storm Rising: The Dance of the Vampires

Sorry for the time you’re going to lose watching this. It’s amazing. If you’re an uncouth, cultureless Philistine, please read this ASAP.

#RESIST

Let's see. I think I... ah, yes. My copy from back when my age started with a "1" rather than a "5."

Name:  20220924_084557.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  31.8 KB

The cover's still nice, but the spine is beat to hell.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I read that in Korea 1986 on the DMZ whilst listening to Kim Il Sung rattle his saber.

Hammertime
    I pulled an all nighter in college reading Red Storm Rising.

Recently re read it and it still delivers.

It's always been back and forth for me whether Red Storm Rising or The Hunt For Red October is Clancy's best book. Very cool to see Red Storm with the visuals!

Clancy owed a fair amount of Red Storm's battles to Larry Bond and a Harpoon campaign:

Name:  51uylIVwGsL._AC_.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  34.8 KB

Used to spend a good chunk of time playing it myself with friends. Though there were computer versions later, we were doing it the old fashioned way back then: unit counters, and dice, and paper.

From the genre and time, also worth checking out is Team Yankee which is WW3 from the perspective of an Armor team.

As an afficianado of these sort of books, back then, I also always thought the biggest flaw was so many of them ended with "and then a miracle happened". An interesting counterpoint is Red Army. Written by an Army intelligence officer it's told from the Soviet point of view and doesn't let NATO off the hook so easily.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I love Michael Pritchard’s narration. He has read some great books, many in my audible library.

Another video in the OP.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Let's see. I think I... ah, yes. My copy from back when my age started with a "1" rather than a "5."

Name:  20220924_084557.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  31.8 KB

The cover's still nice, but the spine is beat to hell.
    Heh... here's mine, also read countless times. There are lines from this I can quote from memory. Easily my favorite book of all time.

"The M1 tank had an engine governor that limited its speed to about 43 miles per hour. It was always the first thing the crews removed..."

My first Clancy novel also. Was traveling on a trip with my mother to Charleston South Carolina and just happened to see it in a bookstore. Was immediately hooked.

Still think it's the best of them all. It gives a more global picture of everything, not just focusing on the Navy, or one particular set of individuals.

The digital simulator visualization really helps bring the story alive.

User Tag List