Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Storm Rising: The Dance of the Vampires

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Anyone ever play Harpoon??

I believe the authors used that to help create the story.

Site Supporter
    I literally just downloaded this book again onto my kindle for my once every couple of years re-read. I do the same with the first few books of Clan of the Cave Bear and a couple of others. I was planning on spending a week in a ground blind with my daughter on a tank waiting for a mule deer to walk by and ask her to use an arrow to manage his suicide attempt. Those two books would get me through about four 12 hour days sitting, moving as little as possible and waiting.

Also, by reading it on my kindle app in the woods I wouldn't be able to touch words and get sucked down the Google rabbit hole of looking up weapons systems and locations, and chasing those links to learn more. It happens every time...I have read web pages on each aircraft, ship, ship class and tank mentioned. Every single time...

Reading in the woods- 2 to 2.5 days to read. At home, on wifi, 3 weeks.

pat

Thanks for sharing. Classic book - cool to see it brought to life.

I used to play Red Storm Rising on my Commodore 64...I understand Cold Waters is something of a spiritual successor.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    That book came up in a job interview. When the interviewer asked if I read it, I said yes, and I didn’t know a LAMPS pilot who knew a tenth as much about ASW as the one in the book.

He laughed.

(I didn’t get the job.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I was stationed in Iceland (the first time) Sept 89-Sept 90. Red Storm Rising had an incredibly accurate in the description of Keflavik NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

Reading in the woods- 2 to 2.5 days to read. At home, on wifi, 3 weeks.

pat
    I hear that.

I recently read three or four books on my Kindle app in two weeks of elk hunting, reading a few minutes at night to wind down, and trying to pass the hot afternoons in the trailer without running the generator to power the AC. It helped that I was hunting alone, and was at least 40 or 50 miles from the nearest gas station (hence not wanting to run the genny, and burn fuel that was hard to replace). I had to download new books when I hiked high enough in the right direction to actually get 5G internet.

I also spent one rainy day glassing from my truck, and reading when the rain fell hard enough to hinder the far distances I was trying to look at. I think I finished nearly a whole book that afternoon.

Good luck on the hunt!

I need to dig out my dog-eared copy of Red Storm Rising again... its been a few years. I can't bring myself to buy the Kindle copy.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Sorry for the time you’re going to lose watching this. It’s amazing. If you’re an uncouth, cultureless Philistine, please read this ASAP.
    Dude, no need to be sorry! Red Storm Rising is my favorite Clancy book.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Vending Machine Operator
    RSR was the first Tom Clancy book I ever read. Trade paperback just like the one someone posted on the first page. I read it so many times the cover fell off, but my spine-only copy is still at home. It is the book that made me fall in love with studying modern military history and eventually military history and defense throughout history. One of the most "this seems real" books ever.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Dude, no need to be sorry! Red Storm Rising is my favorite Clancy book.
    It’s tied with The Cardinal for me and Clear and Present Danger is a close second.
    #RESIST

User Tag List