Thread: Barnes .223 55gr JHP BT?

Barnes .223 55gr JHP BT?

Does anyone have experience with this particular load (55gr Barnes JHP BT) or 55gr JHP's in general? What can be expected from them as far as terminal performance? Do they tend to behave more like an M193 round because they're fast and light, or a typical JHP round (or even like an OTM round that fragments relatively early in tissue)? The website gives no indication as to whether or not it's bonded, so I would assume the answer is no. I ask because this stuff is available for prices just a hair above range ammo prices and is from a reputable manufacturer (Barnes). I have plenty of 77gr OTM for defensive use, but this might make a nice load to stack deep while it's cheap (especially if it's cheap enough to regularly practice with). Thanks!

https://www.barnesbullets.com/produc...et-type=jhp-bt
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

I'm no wound ballistics expert, but I bring up the police shooting in Hazelton, PA around the 2006 time frame whenever I talk about duty ammo (emphasis on shot placement, tactics, reliable eq). It generated some discussion on wound ballistics since the suspect took around 17 rounds of handgun (.40 cal) and .223 (I think it was 55 gr JHP) and still fought while being handcuffed. Suspect did sustain non-survivable wounds. An incorrect finding on the .40 cal wound tracts was the biggest issue. I think the FBI created a PP or memo (can't find it) to debunk the concern with the specific brand of .40 duty ammo.

Some links to a couple of 55gr JHP type gel shots. They are not "deep" penetrating rounds.

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ba...omparison.aspx

https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammu...r-tap-urban#!/
    Last edited by JF1; 09-23-2022 at 04:46 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Barnes is owned by Sierra now, so the bullet is probably pretty accurate. They don't list a component bullet that looks like the photos of that Barnes load. Their HP is bigger and it's marketed as a varmint bullet.

It's probably a typical match bullet construction, I wouldn't rely on it for anything more than accuracy without more information.

I have found Barnes CS is typically very helpful in explaining the characteristics and intended applications of their products.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The projectle performs surprisingly well.

Gel tests have been performed.

Unfortunatly I cannot say much more. I just thought I would chime in.

Barnes has taken a significant transformation when we were sold to Clarus. (Sierra)

There is so much in the pipeline ( Jacketed Projectiles) wise, and everything is tested (everything)

I would state, the average person has no clue to the testing regimine that goes on daily, in house for all of the bullet line and ammo.

If I can get cleared to post on social media. Then gel pics we get.

This is an underated bullet weight for performance aspect.

On my phone sorry for the spacing.
    Last edited by DISCO; 10-01-2022 at 12:49 AM.

User Tag List