Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Armorer Bench

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Minimalist Armorer Bench

Finally getting set up in my new home free from the immediate tyranny of the Kalifornia legislature and Gavin Newsom. One thing I enjoyed with my old Kalifornia home was a large work bench with a good vice that I could use for various projects - mostly light gunsmithing/armorer work.

My new home does not have a work bench or vice. I was planning to purchase a decent bench at HD or Harbor Freight but since I am in a rental an will be moving w/in a year I would like to not have to buy another big an heavy thing I will have to move but still have the ability to torque on/off barrels and muzzle devices and similar work.

I have a “desk” but I do not want to damage it by drilling into it and mounting a vice and I’d really like a more substantial vice than those little ones that c-clamp onto tables.

I’m sure I’m not the first person in a similar situation.

Any suggestions or ideas?

For a smaller vise, a vise/bench grinder stand can work. You're not going to chock up giant things and whack them with sledges in it, but it'll hold stuff for smithin' on. If you need to really crank on something sometimes you'll have to be thoughtful with your force vectors to keep it stable.

of course if you can anchor it in the floor in the corner of the garage or something, you can get away with a lot bigger vise and more forces involved.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Spit ballin... do you have a pickup truck? I have seen a vise mount that uses the tow hitch. Maybe you have the room to make that work???

Buy a sacrificial desk with the intent of throwing it out? Alternatively, HD sells "Work bench kits" consisting of legs. You buy the table top separately. This could be easy to disassemble for move.
    When I was living out of my room, I drilled holes into a desk I got from staples that I threw out eventually.

I have this at work and we have exceeded the 1000 pound limit several times with no ill effects. The top seems to be impervious to anything a firefighter can spill on it. If I ever have to get rid of my built in bench, this will be what replaces it.

Husky 6 ft. Solid Wood Top Workbench in Black G7200S1-US - The Home Depot

I like that Husky bench a lot. If you have the room for it I would second that. Another option that I did long ago was build a bench out of 2x4's and a 2" slab for the top. Wood screws, drill and skill saw is all that's needed. Only advantage over that Husky would be you could customize the size to fit your needs and might cost less although lumber is expensive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have this at work and we have exceeded the 1000 pound limit several times with no ill effects. The top seems to be impervious to anything a firefighter can spill on it. If I ever have to get rid of my built in bench, this will be what replaces it.

I got the adjustable model of this; was more money but I really appreciated the height set the way I wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

I have that in my basement. Moved it down myself without assistance, and it hosts a fully-loaded Dillon 750 and a Forster CoAx. It has never so much as wobbled. I'm going to be making a lower shelf for it to reinforce it further.

That Husky bench is good. I like these better, Sam's Clubs usually have them in stock:

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/prod...iABEgLHxPD_BwE

This slides/rolls right under mine: https://www.samsclub.com/p/6-drawer-...5/prod15550134

I inherited these from my wife after I finished up a craft room in the house for her and she let me have my man cave back.

The stuff is nice, goes together easy, and is sturdy.

We also have a couple of their rolling cabinets:

My wife is still using them to store all her card making/stamping stuff in. You guys need to suck up to me to get on the Christmas Card list. I figure right now, with what I KNOW she's spent, a homemade card goes out the door at right at $95.00. This may be why she lets me buy gun and motorcycle stuff.

For real the Seville Classic stuff Sam sells is good.

Last one: https://www.sevilleclassics.com/coll...ucts/uhd20247b

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thanks for the replies!

The Husky and similar benches were what I was originally planning. My focus right now is on something smaller as the move will likely be in 9 months.

I’m thinking perhaps a 1 inch plywood “table” that I can mount a vise to and then clamp it to my desk?

Also wondering if anyone has any working knowledge with this “gun vice” from midway?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015146148?pid=598507

User Tag List