Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    As for QC, it generally sucks these days throughout the handgun industry these days.
    Can't speak much on revolvers, but at the gun shop I work at, since 2020 there have only been 3 handgun manufacturers that we've never had to send anything back to: Glock, H&K, and Beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Can't speak much on revolvers, but at the gun shop I work at, since 2020 there have only been 3 handgun manufacturers that we've never had to send anything back to: Glock, H&K, and Beretta.
    Ok, maybe I should’ve said “revolver”, or certain American manufacturers.

Ok, maybe I should’ve said “revolver”, or certain American manufacturers.
    Yeah... the whole thing makes me leery on buying a new revolver, but I guess if I get it and run 500 rounds or so through it, that should prove it's in spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    @jetfire put out a video comparing the 686, GP100 and Python about a year ago.

What I really like about this video is the ranking for out of the box, minor tinkering, and major modification. Not surprisingly, I agree with those rankings. If someone has decided to go with an L-frame sized revolver, this video has most of what's needed to make a decision from there.

The Python is indeed almost good to go out of the box, and the excellent stock trigger is a very big selling point. The one thing I'd add to the video is that at least for me, adding the Harrison sights is a required minimum upgrade for carry. So that's a $70 to $130 upgrade to get to where the rear sight is reasonably robust for carry purposes. That's not really out of line, most of my semi's get new sights before leaving the house. Other aftermarket support has improved a little in the several months since the video, although it still has a long way to go for this still relatively new design.

A GP100 could also be carried in near stock condition, although they benefit from a little trigger work and there are plenty of personal preference things.

The video highlights an important point about new or recent production S&W. They can be turned into sweet revolvers, but need some modification to get there. Things like the hole in the side, the typically heavy triggers, and sometimes a lot more. That can be a plus for a target or competition gun and maybe for a plinker or trail gun, however a heavily modified carry revolver could arguably raise legal liability concerns in the event of a self defense use. I won't go deeply into that debate and it bothers some people more than others, but it's something to consider. Most people will never experience a situation where it matters, but each persons risk tolerance is different. It's ironic that by adding supposed "safety features" a large corporation has basically transferred legal risk to the serious end customer.
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-24-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    For help with visualization:

Colt 1917 / New Service, 2", .45 ACP, roughly N frame or Super Redhawk size
    Beautiful. Would love to have. I'm guessing the Fitz modification requires special holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Beautiful. Would love to have. I'm guessing the Fitz modification requires special holster?
    When I first got it, special holster was my thought too. Purdy Leather came highly recommended for Fitz holsters they'd done for other folks. I was very much thinking an old-fashioned exposed trigger guard holster to prevent any chance of hitting the trigger while holstering. She convinced me though that, with the trigger guard already compromised, a fully covered trigger guard was the way to go to protect the guard from getting bent. Didn't quite have the cash for the Purdy I wanted at the time but wish I had. They stopped taking custom orders awhile back. Ended up with something more similar to a thumb-break Yaqui slide though I can't remember from who (it was a name brand but completely eludes me at the moment). Really the Colt has an extraordinarily heavy (though smooth) double action, add thumb on hammer, and looking it into the holster and it's safe enough. Sure wouldn't want to speed holster it though...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I have both a GP100 MC (10mm) and a Security Six.

While they’re both great revolvers, the MC is no Six Series. The Security Six is downright svelte next to the GP.

I don’t see where the MC has any additional tuning besides a hammer shim. I’ve been able to improve mine considerably (including 2 more hammer shims and 3 for the hammer dog.)
    According to Ruger on their website, this is the additional work they perform on a Match Champion above and beyond a normal GP100:

"Polished and optimized internals, a centering boss on the trigger, and centering shims on the hammer produce a smooth double-action trigger pull and a crisp and consistent let-off."

Probably the biggest thing is clean-up of the burrs, etc. that tend to be present on normal production GP100s.

Best, Jon

I just purchased a 4" model 28. I can't imagine carrying that anvil around. Or any N frame for that matter. I would probably go with a 3" GP-100 or something like this M 19 snubbie that lives in my safe. I don't carry it.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    According to Ruger on their website, this is the additional work they perform on a Match Champion above and beyond a normal GP100:

"Polished and optimized internals, a centering boss on the trigger, and centering shims on the hammer produce a smooth double-action trigger pull and a crisp and consistent let-off."

Probably the biggest thing is clean-up of the burrs, etc. that tend to be present on normal production GP100s.

Best, Jon
    Wonder if I should go with the MC over the standard model. I prefer the looks of the standard model, but it sounds like the MC may have a bit more QC on the fit and finish.

ETA: Looks like the MC is out of stock everywhere I look...
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 09-25-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I just purchased a 4" model 28. I can't imagine carrying that anvil around. Or any N frame for that matter.
    It's not really that bad in a holster that spreads the weight around. I used to carry one with two speedloaders, though I've since pared down to either a polymer-framed bottomfeeder or a 3-4" K frame. I think my M22-4 weighs less than my 4" M19 due to .45 caliber holes in the cylinder and that tapered barrel. Also, the 28 weighs less when you're in the woods. Or maybe it just feels right.

User Tag List