Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

Site Supporter
    Late to the party.

3 inch k frame for 38s

3 inch Ruger for .357 mags or 38s

If I was all in, I might buy 2, one for dry fire/ live fire practice and the other for carry.

Many used models abound v. new.

Some can be had with more modern sights in their latest iterations.

Get some instruction on manipulation and shooting them at speed.

(Don’t be the guy who at a IDPA BUG side “match” uses a borrowed j frame with a very double thumbs forward grip and gets good and burned by some heat coming off the cylinder gap.)

Looking forward to see what you end up with.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While I've had several Smith & Wesson revolvers in the past, I'm firmly in the Ruger camp. For .357 magnum use with any regularity, I recommend the GP100. While there's pretty good anecdotal evidence that QC at both Ruger and S&W has slipped on current new production guns, Ruger's Customer Support has been, and is superb, so I wouldn't unduly worry about getting a new one. If there are issues, they'll expeditiously make it right.

For .357 magnum use, I'd go with Hogue Tamer grips. While not as concealable as the Ruger Compact GP100 grips, they're the most effective in painlessly controlling .357 recoil, and with judicious holster choices, a GP100 with them is concealable. Alternatively, the VZ G10 grips or the Ruger Compacts would be my choice for concealed carry.

While I prefer a GP100 for .357 magnum use, if you can find a later production heavy barrel Security Six, that could be equally viable. I wouldn't unduly worry about the lack of Ruger factory support-as Jerry Kuhnhausen comments in his shop manual for the -Six models, not much ever goes wrong with them, and Wolff has springs that cover the most likely breakdown components. I use my GP100 for dedicated .357 magnum use, and my standard barrel Security Six for .38 Special +P use.
    Best, Jon
    Compelling, thank you. Actually, while I can't find a NiB Security Six anywhere, I did find a NiB Service Six (fixed sight model) available for $925. Again, my only concern is parts replacement, but if Wolff has the springs, that only leaves small parts like the hand, etc. to worry about. I wonder how often those go wrong. Could also later pick up a GP100 as a Magnum trainer.

@jetfire put out a video comparing the 686, GP100 and Python about a year ago.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I don't know what your tolerance for recoil happens to be. If you're even a little bit sensitive, firing full-charge magnums from a K-frame is not a lot of fun. If you're not a fan of hand-thumpers and you want to shoot magnums, then go for the GP-100/686/627. If you don't mind recoil, then the Security-Six and the new-production K-frames are good.

Is there a range that rents guns? Do you have a friend who has revolvers that you can borrow?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I concur with basically everyone who's said that a 3 inch is the way to go. I have a number of 3 inch revolvers, and I find it to be just about the perfect length for an AIWB carried revolver. My favorite of the ones I carry is the 3 inch DAO GP100 in 357 Magnum.

For an IWB revolver that was meant to be a primary gun, and is going to see a lot of magnums fired through it, I would go with a Ruger. Either a Security 6, or a GP100. Personally I think the Security 6 guns are simply stellar, and they used to be had for pretty cheap money but that seems to not be the case like it once was. Since you are carrying IWB, I don't think it matters too much between the 3" or 4" and for me, sometimes the longer barrel is actually a better choice as it rides a little better, and is more secure, much like how a 5" 1911 seems to work better IWB than a Colt Officer's ACP with a 3.5" barrel.

So, the punchline is that I recommend a Ruger Security 6 or GP100.

A "grail" gun for me would be a NIB Security Six 3" Postal Inspector model.....

But I concur with Lost River; 3" or 4" barrel. I also prefer an adjustable sight revolver, as the sight picture is generally far superior to the topstrap trough and blade provided for fixed sight revolvers. And, in my opinion, today's adjustable sights are sufficiently durable and reliable for EDC and use. I REALLY wish Millett hadn't discontinued their orange (or white) bar front sights and adjustable rears, with a white outline.

Today, anecdotally (since other than Milletts, I've been pleased with Ruger's OEM adjustables, and haven't felt compelled to replace them), the toughest heavy duty adjustable revolver sights would seem to be Bowen's Rough Country and Target sights.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-23-2022 at 12:17 PM.

I think any of the three you mention in opening post would be good.

Personally I'd probably lean to ether to K frame with 38+P or 8 shot S&W 327/627 N Frame.

The S&W 327 Scandium Snub https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-327 with 38's is about perfect for me, really wish I would have bought one when I could have instead of the 386 Night Guard I got instead.

They also make 627 with snub https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...ounds/p/p47189 or longer barrel https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-627 if you want magnums.

The triggers on the 8 shot S&W N frame just work really good for me and the 327 Snub has really good sight for my eyes, at least before I needed bifocals.

Think DB has mentioned the snubby version of S&W 627 for car niche in past.

Edited to add:

I really prefer to have pair of guns, but especially so if primary is a revolver.

Reloading revolvers is not at all the same as reloading pistol, specially under stress and/or injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I don't know what your tolerance for recoil happens to be. If you're even a little bit sensitive, firing full-charge magnums from a K-frame is not a lot of fun. If you're not a fan of hand-thumpers and you want to shoot magnums, then go for the GP-100/686/627. If you don't mind recoil, then the Security-Six and the new-production K-frames are good.

Is there a range that rents guns? Do you have a friend who has revolvers that you can borrow?
    I've shot the Colt Python (6" blued 1980 production) over 1k rounds, almost all Magnums. Usually 125gr Federal SJHP (357B), the Remington 125gr equivalent (both going about 1450fps or so), Speer Gold Dot 125gr, and Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. Very small amounts of Winchester 110gr .357 Mag and a few .38 Special target loads have also been shot through them. With all loads, the gun was comfortable and viable to shoot accurately at speed, but after a bit over 1k rounds, something under the cylinder release latch broke. The gun still worked and you could still open/close the cylinder if you pushed it from the front, but I sent it back to Colt and had it fixed and never shot the gun much after that.

All that is to say, I know I have no problems shooting full power .357 out of a large frame all steel 6" revolver. I also shot many of the same loads out of my uncle's old S&W Model 66. It was a little more jumpy, but still manageable. I figure a 4" GP100 would be somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A "grail" gun for me would be a NIB Security Six 3" Postal Inspector model.....

But I concur with Lost River; 3" or 4" barrel. I also prefer an adjustable sight revolver, as the sight picture is generally far superior to the topstrap trough and blade provided for fixed sight revolvers. And, in my opinion, today's adjustable sights are sufficiently durable and reliable for EDC and use. I REALLY wish Millett hadn't discontinued their orange (or white) bar front sights and adjustable rears, with a white outline.

Today, anecdotally (since other than Milletts, I've been pleased with Ruger's OEM adjustables, and haven't felt compelled to replace them), the toughest heavy duty adjustable revolver sights would seem to be Bowen's Rough Country and Target sights.

Best, Jon
    How do you feel about a regular 4" GP100 vs the Match Champion version? Personally, I like the looks of the standard one better, but is there an advantage to the MC?

User Tag List