Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88

Thread: Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

  1. #11
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I used to own a Colt Python (1980 production) and foolishly shot lots and lots of magnums through it, necessitating it going back to Colt for a fix. I learned that lesson. I'd like to be able to run lots of magnums through it.
    The new production Pythons are supposed to be able to handle magnum ammo better than the K or L frames.

    @jetfire ran the 2000 rds test with one and it passed with flying colors.

    For myself, using the same reasons as for yourself, a 3" or 4" python would be on top of my list.
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Willys View Post
    3 or 4 inch round butt K frame

    A la

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948063887

    Or

    Security/Service Six with 2.75/3 inch tube

    A la

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947671533

    Of course I like the old stuff.
    If it weren't for the fact that Ruger no longer works on or produces parts for the Security/Speed/Service Six, I would've already bought one! I figure the GP100 is close enough and little stouter.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The new production Pythons are supposed to be able to handle magnum ammo better than the K or L frames.

    @jetfire ran the 2000 rds test with one and it passed with flying colors.

    For myself, using the same reasons as for yourself, a 3" or 4" python would be on top of my list.
    Didn't see that anyone ran a new Python through the 2k rounds test. Huh. That is rather impressive. I had kind of written off the new Pythons when they had timing issues right out of the box upon their initial release. I guess Colt figured it out quick.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My 66 started skipping. I dry fire a lot. Fast da dryfiring probably did more to cause that issue than actually shooting.

    I never shot the gun with the lock in it.

    I like the 686 over the gp100 purely on looks and handling.
    Did you replace the lock with the plug yourself? Did the plug itself ever cause any issues?

    50k rounds, especially half and half .357 and .38 +p before issues arose, is pretty impressive

  5. #15
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Didn't see that anyone ran a new Python through the 2k rounds test. Huh. That is rather impressive. I had kind of written off the new Pythons when they had timing issues right out of the box upon their initial release. I guess Colt figured it out quick.
    The old problems seem to have been entirely resolved over a year ago.

    I'm sure it's detailed in the couple of Python threads in this sub-forum.
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  6. #16
    Site Supporter 03RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Did you replace the lock with the plug yourself? Did the plug itself ever cause any issues?

    50k rounds, especially half and half .357 and .38 +p before issues arose, is pretty impressive

    I replaced the lock as soon as I got the gun and never had an issue.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The old problems seem to have been entirely resolved over a year ago.

    I'm sure it's detailed in the couple of Python threads in this sub-forum.
    I'll try to find it. I'll probably be sticking with a GP100 or 686 for the purposes stated in this thread, but I will definitely be picking up one of the new Pythons at some point. If they're more durable than the old ones, that's a home run. I tried the trigger of a new production one and my 1980 production one side by side and I was surprised to find that I found the new one to be better.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I replaced the lock as soon as I got the gun and never had an issue.
    Good to know, thanks. Sounds like either one will be good.

  9. #19
    Site Supporter Joe in PNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papua New Guinea; formerly Florida
    If I was to look on the cheap (which I did), I'd prowl around the used cases of my local gunshops for some bargain priced K frame S&W's. Even if you don't get anything, you can still have regrets for years about that old Model 19 or 2" 15 you passed on like an utter idiot. And who knows? Maybe you'll find a nice 3" Model 65 dusty and unloved in the back of the case.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

  10. #20
    Site Supporter DocGKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    I had a lovely 3" model 13 that was likely the best carry revolver I have ever used, wish I never sold it....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •