Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

Ruger for years didn't make any adjustable sighted 3" GPs. They do now. Find a used GP 3 or 4 inch as they are "tough as tanks" and if you have a problem Ruger will fix it. 500-600 is a good purchase price with a bit of a premium for something special. Good Luck!

How reliable and durable are the S&W 627 Pro 4" 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers? I know the Redhawk rechambered for .357 with 8 shots had (and last I heard, still have) some issues. Are there any issues with the 627/327 eight-shot series?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    How reliable and durable are the S&W 627 Pro 4" 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers? I know the Redhawk rechambered for .357 with 8 shots had (and last I heard, still have) some issues. Are there any issues with the 627/327 eight-shot series?
    I had one, and it was dandy. You can definitely feel that big cylinder turning in DA, so I’d suggest trying one first.

I'm trying to find the revolver that would be the least stupid to choose to carry over a Glock 19 or other semi auto pistol. Not sure why I want to be carrying a revolver as my primary carry and not a semi auto, but here I find myself. I guess part of it is you see a lot of pistols have stoppages in badge cam vids, many times looking like limpwristing when moving around in unorthodox ways.

How reliable and durable are the S&W 627 Pro 4" 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers?
    They're fine. USPSA opened the door for 8-minor almost 10 years ago, which has been almost exclusively 8-shot N-frames (627 / 929) since.

I broke one hand on my 627 pro several years ago. Happened at the 'local' match with the longest drive because of course it would. Based on other shooters' experience that was a fluke. It is not a common problem. That was the only one I've seen happen. I've not seen or heard of it happening to anyone since.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    They're fine. USPSA opened the door for 8-minor almost 10 years ago, which has been almost exclusively 8-shot N-frames (627 / 929) since.

I broke one hand on my 627 pro several years ago. Happened at the 'local' match with the longest drive because of course it would. Based on other shooters' experience that was a fluke. It is not a common problem. That was the only one I've seen happen. I've not seen or heard of it happening to anyone since.
    That is weird to happen, I read your thread and it happened at a pretty low round count. Any idea what a typical dedicated match-goer's 627's round count is? I figured more than a few of those guys would be into the tens of thousands.

Since you mentioned IWB as your mode of carry, what about another option that is a half size smaller?

I continue to be impressed with my Kimber K6s, I have the 3” DAO version. But, I don’t have a high round count. It carries a lot easier for me than my K or L frames and has decent sights. Would that be an option? They seem to be holding up decently.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

it happened at a pretty low round count. Any idea what a typical dedicated match-goer's 627's round count is? I figured more than a few of those guys would be into the tens of thousands.
    I don't think it would vary significantly between divisions. Fewer makeup shots can add up over time but I wouldn't say the average person showing up at X matches per year has a lot less wear on their N-frame because no makeup shots compared to their Prod/CO/Lim/Open gun.

Anything can break. It's not endemic to the design or anything; more just a footnote that sometimes "shit happens." Even before 8-minor people have been flogging N-frames in USPSA REV (when 6-major was competitive) and IDPA ESR (before they collapsed the divisions for SSR and ESR) for a long time. They work fine. The 8 shot guns aren't notably different.

User Tag List