Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Wonder if I should go with the MC over the standard model. I prefer the looks of the standard model, but it sounds like the MC may have a bit more QC on the fit and finish.

ETA: Looks like the MC is out of stock everywhere I look...
    If you're gong to shoot predominately .357 magnums, I'd go with a full-lug GP100; if you're going to be shooting predominately .38 Special/.38 Special +P or lighter .357 Magnums, the MC would be a good choice in my opinion. But hey, it'll be your gun, so choose whichever feels right and best for you. Frankly, probably the biggest decision criteria would be choosing the variant with the sights/sight picture that you prefer, at least for me.

Ruger CS will make things right as necessary, or most corrective/cleanup work can be provided by a good local gunsmith if needed or desired.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If you're gong to shoot predominately .357 magnums, I'd go with a full-lug GP100; if you're going to be shooting predominately .38 Special/.38 Special +P or lighter .357 Magnums, the MC would be a good choice in my opinion. But hey, it'll be your gun, so choose whichever feels right and best for you. Frankly, probably the biggest decision criteria would be choosing the variant with the sights/sight picture that you prefer, at least for me.

Ruger CS will make things right as necessary, or most corrective/cleanup work can be provided by a good local gunsmith if needed or desired.

Best, Jon
    The last several GP100s and SP101s our gun shop has received from Ruger have been pretty good (at least as good as it can be without firing it), I hope I get to be as fortunate when I get mine. I'm leaning towards the standard 4" model, because yes I will be shooting a lot of Magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's not really that bad in a holster that spreads the weight around. I used to carry one with two speedloaders, though I've since pared down to either a polymer-framed bottomfeeder or a 3-4" K frame. I think my M22-4 weighs less than my 4" M19 due to .45 caliber holes in the cylinder and that tapered barrel. Also, the 28 weighs less when you're in the woods. Or maybe it just feels right.
    I could carry it in a shoulder holster hiking just fine. I actually have an El Paso Saddlery shoulder holster for a 4" N frame somewhere.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I plan on likely getting a Match Champion in the future, but I'll use it for .38 Special/.38 Special +P use, and will likely get the adjustable sight version for easy sight calibration/re-calibration with either 125 gr or 158 gr cartridges. I'll likely use VZ's G10 grips with it.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I plan on likely getting a Match Champion in the future, but I'll use it for .38 Special/.38 Special +P use, and will likely get the adjustable sight version for easy sight calibration/re-calibration with either 125 gr or 158 gr cartridges. I'll likely use VZ's G10 grips with it.

Best, Jon
    Solid pick.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but you might want to hold off until this T&E article comes out.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

In 50 years I've run a lot of 357s. Carried Smiths mostly on duty for 20 years, then autos. But for today in retirement my favorite 357 and I have several, is the 3" GP/WC I just love this revolver. Recommend it highly. The GP/WC does many things well, and with proper leather it carries without a lot of fatigue and it's easier to conceal. Contrary to many on here I love the green blob. I just look right through it. A close second is the 357 in my avatar, a 3" also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but you might want to hold off until this T&E article comes out.
    Amen, Sister.

I am doing just that myself.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Wut? I didn’t even know this was a thing, Taurus has been so far off my radar. Dang, if these actually work and you can get holsters, I could get 3 of these (stainless 3” practice gun, 3” ultra lite carry, 2” ultra lite pocket gun) for not much more than the cost of a 2nd Kimber K6 I was planning to buy for practice.

Sounds kinda too good to be true at this point.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    In 50 years I've run a lot of 357s. Carried Smiths mostly on duty for 20 years, then autos. But for today in retirement my favorite 357 and I have several, is the 3" GP/WC I just love this revolver. Recommend it highly. The GP/WC does many things well, and with proper leather it carries without a lot of fatigue and it's easier to conceal. Contrary to many on here I love the green blob. I just look right through it. A close second is the 357 in my avatar, a 3" also.

I sure do like the idea of the GP100, especially the 3 inch version. However, they are pricey from what I see.

User Tag List