Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

Could Use Insight on Choosing a Primary Carry Revolver, Advice Welcome

I'm trying to reach the end of a years long search for my ideal mid-size or full-size primary carry revolver for IWB carry, in lieu of a semi-auto for times when I decide I want to. As discussed before, I'm looking for the most durable, reliable, and effective service-sized revolver for this role. Primary contenders are a 4" stainless Ruger GP100, a 4" Stainless S&W 686, or a S&W Model 25/625 (in either .45 Colt or .45 Auto).

Leaning towards the Ruger, although QC complaints I've seen and heard make me hesitant. For S&W, I've always been wary of the stories of internal locks activating, as @DocGKR has seen on police armorer work benches (granted, these were J Frames IIRC). I like the idea of a .45 Colt Model 25, but even with lots of primers and .452" projectiles, it's not as practical to shoot a lot of that caliber compared to .357/.38, but I've always liked big bore bullets going at moderate velocities.

My brain is telling me the GP100 is the most practical and viable answer, but my QC concerns and affection for .45 has me looking at the other choices. I was hoping to get some insight from those here who are more familiar with, and carry, revolvers more than I.

Provided I take good care of it, use good ammo, and use a toothbrush under the ejector star at extended shooting sessions, would the GP100 be the most reliable and durable long term option? Or am I overlooking something?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The GP will outlast you, your kids, and prolly your grandkids.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I'd be ok with a .45colt mountain gun if I wasn't worried about concealing it.

I'd prefer the 686 over the gp100 but only by a little.

Im ok sticking with k frames. My m66 is still down but I think it has to do with my relentless dry fireing more than the 25k magnums and 25k +p .38s.

Are you going to shoot many magnums? A m10 or m64 might be all you need. A 158gr swc @ 1000fps will ride the river with ya.

Site Supporter
    When I first started carrying a gun, I owned a Dan Wesson .357 with a 2.5" barrel and a Colt Detective Special (1990's manufacture). Although I cannot comment directly on carrying any of the guns you mentioned, my experience with the Dan Wesson is relevant.

The factors which will increase the difficulty of carry are the length of the grip and the size of the frame and cylinder.

With this in mind, I would lean more towards .357 rather than .45.

I would also lean towards whichever .357 has sufficient factory or aftermarket support for a reasonably good selection of compact grips to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'd be ok with a .45colt mountain gun if I wasn't worried about concealing it.

I'd prefer the 686 over the gp100 but only by a little.

Im ok sticking with k frames. My m66 is still down but I think it has to do with my relentless dry fireing more than the 25k magnums and 25k +p .38s.

Are you going to shoot many magnums? A m10 or m64 might be all you need. A 158gr swc @ 1000fps will ride the river with ya.
    I used to own a Colt Python (1980 production) and foolishly shot lots and lots of magnums through it, necessitating it going back to Colt for a fix. I learned that lesson. I'd like to be able to run lots of magnums through it. Why is your M66 down? 25k rounds of magnums and 25k of +p .38s is pretty good. I don't remember the old ones being able to do that. My uncle's old M66 went out of time probably less than half that. How do you feel about the internal lock in regards to potentially making the gun go down?

And yes, I do want to be able to conceal carry it realistically. Why would you prefer a 686 over the GP100? Do you think it would be more long term durable?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When I first started carrying a gun, I owned a Dan Wesson .357 with a 2.5" barrel and a Colt Detective Special (1990's manufacture). Although I cannot comment directly on carrying any of the guns you mentioned, my experience with the Dan Wesson is relevant.

The factors which will increase the difficulty of carry are the length of the grip and the size of the frame and cylinder.

With this in mind, I would lean more towards .357 rather than .45.

I would also lean towards whichever .357 has sufficient factory or aftermarket support for a reasonably good selection of compact grips to be available.
    I definitely would like to be able to conceal carry it, so yeah, .357 probably is the better option for that reason. It looks like with both the 686 and GP100, there are reasonably compact grips available for both.

As a younger man I conceal carried a 6" blued Colt Python... I'd like something easier.

Duty revolver for iwb carry

SwampDweller,

Like you, I also have thought a lot about the best larger revolver for IWB carry. I started with a 686 4 inch and found the length was just over the edge for me in comfort for iwb when bending over to say, tie my boot laces, or sitting in a vehicle.
    I then went with a Smith and Wesson 627 that is 2.6 inches in length, although it is fairly thick iwb with the 8 round cylinder and more challenging to conceal for me.
    Finally I have settled on a 3 inch Ruger GP100 as the best compromise of barrel length, velocity of ammo, durability and all round duty revolver for me. I carry a revolver 100 % of the time and sometimes a smaller back up revolver in a pocket.
    I recently found a GP100 on Gunbroker from someone who had the hammer bobbed and I think it may be the best choice I’ve found so far for *me*.

As to your concerns for quality control, I have occasionally had revolvers from both S&W and Ruger that had an issue and both companies took care of me with no issues.
    Good idea to google “revolver examination before purchase” , etc. if you need to familiarise yourself on how to check out a revolver so you can always turn down one before you spend you hard-earned $$.
    I am a fan of both of the manufacturers.
    Good luck with your search! Name:  34740501-2325-4B24-8CC8-27C7B89F2E95.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  58.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I used to own a Colt Python (1980 production) and foolishly shot lots and lots of magnums through it, necessitating it going back to Colt for a fix. I learned that lesson. I'd like to be able to run lots of magnums through it. Why is your M66 down? 25k rounds of magnums and 25k of +p .38s is pretty good. I don't remember the old ones being able to do that. My uncle's old M66 went out of time probably less than half that. How do you feel about the internal lock in regards to potentially making the gun go down?

And yes, I do want to be able to conceal carry it realistically. Why would you prefer a 686 over the GP100? Do you think it would be more long term durable?
    My 66 started skipping. I dry fire a lot. Fast da dryfiring probably did more to cause that issue than actually shooting.

I never shot the gun with the lock in it.

I like the 686 over the gp100 purely on looks and handling.

3 or 4 inch round butt K frame

A la

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948063887

Or

Security/Service Six with 2.75/3 inch tube

A la

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947671533

Of course I like the old stuff.

User Tag List