Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 20 v. Sig XTen

Glock 20 v. Sig XTen

I know many of us are having so much fun discussing politics in various threads, but I thought I would bring an actual pistol discussion to the forum. Unlike Trump believing he can declassify documents simply by thinking it in his head, and unlike @blues similarly having just gotten laid by thinking about it (great looking woman you posted over there by the way blues), I actually want to go to Alaska to hunt. As much fun as it may be to think and dream about going to Alaska, I want to get there in person while my physical abilities still permit. I have been looking at pistols for bear defense. I thought Glock 20 was the clear choice, but Sig unleashed its XTen several months ago. The Sig trigger is supposed to be much better, but I have been reading it is 3.5 - 4 pounds. Seems a little light to me for a woods gun. Has anyone shot both of these and have any opinions?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Not sure why it was necessary to bring me into this...but when I went backpacking and climbing in Alaska, (Wrangells and Denali area, mostly)...I carried a Colt Gov't Model, Series 70.

Not a hunter, (though I hunted some desperadoes), so I can't assist on that score.

You won't regret going there, that I'm certain of. Beautiful, beautiful country.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Most Glock 20’s tend to work out of the box. The Sig X Ten doesn’t seem as reliable. Most knowledgeable people have learned to not purchase new Sig products. Sig has to let the public beta test new products for a year or so. If I wanted a reliable pistol to keep bears from eating me, I would (and do) use a G20. Underwood 140 grain extreme penetrators are very reliable.

My G4 20 choked on Underwood Lehigh penetrators. My wife and I have been carrying a 19 with a Mayhem comp and sealed emitter optic. For now, Underwood Lehigh penetrators but evaluating Underwood 147+P coated hard cast.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My G4 20 choked on Underwood Lehigh penetrators. My wife and I have been carrying a 19 with a Mayhem comp and sealed emitter optic. For now, Underwood Lehigh penetrators but evaluating Underwood 147+P coated hard cast.
    Thing 1
    Is the G5 23 field pistol done and why?

Thing 2
    Have you compared various 9mm ball to Lehigh and Underwood etc.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Thing 1

Thing 2

Thanks
    I really enjoy how the G5 23 shoots. However, there are multiple negatives for my use, and I don't think .40 offers enough over 9, to justify it. The G5 23 doesn't work in my other appendix and ALS retention holsters. There isn't an easy comp solution for the G5 23. Magazine followers are critical -- the mags and followers that work in my G4 23 pistols won't work in the G5 23. Between my wife and I, we are too invested in G4/5 9mm pistols.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Thing 1

Thing 2

Thanks
    9mm ball sucks. Yeah, it penetrates, but only leaves a tiny little knitting needle sized hole. Flat point penetrator rounds do better.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. They have run like a champ in mine. However, the 200 coated hard cast had problems. They fed and functioned, but I had keyholing problems and 2 split cases out of about 100 rounds. Underwood promptly exchanged the remaining ammo. No such issues with the 140 penetrators.

GJM- what were your specific failures with the 140 penetrators in your G20?

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Interesting. They have run like a champ in mine. However, the 200 coated hard cast had problems. They fed and functioned, but I had keyholing problems and 2 split cases out of about 100 rounds. Underwood promptly exchanged the remaining ammo. No such issues with the 140 penetrators.

GJM- what were your specific failures with the 140 penetrators in your G20?
    I have had excellent luck with the Underwood Lehigh penetrations in many calibers and many different platforms-- 9, 40, .45, .45 Super. Reasonable velocity and a FMJ bullet profile seem a good combination for reliability.

I tried some Underwood 10mm 140's in my very stock G4 20, not expecting any issue. It has been a year or two, but all I remember is stoppages. Same 140 bullet ran great in my G5 23 pistols.

Glock 20 v. Sig XTen

I believe these Glock 20 failures are caused by the mags not feeding fast enough for the greater slide velocity caused by heavy 10mm loads. The problem occurs with wide meplat hardcast, XTP, and now XP, so it's not caused by bullet profile.

I have solved the problem by using the following aftermarket parts. @JCL has built up a similar Glock 20, and tested it extensively.

-24# ISMI recoil spring, Glockmeister captured guiderod
    https://www.glockmeister.com/product...less-steel-rod
    https://www.glockmeister.com/product...product_detail

-460 Rowland mag spring. This holds 13 rounds, reloadable.
    https://www.460rowland.com/shop/extr...er-mag-spring/

-460 Rowland mag shim set to prevent damage to magazine and keep mag from dropping out when you fire full power loads.
    https://www.460rowland.com/shop/acce...zine-shim-set/

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List