Thread: OK to use Speer 260 gr JHP load data for a 250 gr XTP JHP bullet?

OK to use Speer 260 gr JHP load data for a 250 gr XTP JHP bullet?

I'm currently loading the Hornady 250 gr XTP JHP bullet in .45 Colt over the max load of 8.5 grs of Universal Clays according to Hodgdon for regular revolvers.
    Speer lists their 260 gr JHP bullet in regular .45 Colt revolvers with a Do Not Reduce and only one load at 8.9 grs of Universal Clays.

So, I'm inclined to believe that in my Ruger Super Redhawk I can go a pinch higher to 8.6 or 8.7 grs of Universal Clays under the 250 gr XTP bullet?

I must be reading something wrong...I'm seeing 7 grs min and 8 grs max for the 260 JHP according to Hodgdon?

You are correct. However, I'm looking at Speer's data in the One Book/One Caliber, Load books USA reloading manual. In the Speer reloading data section, Speer lists their 260 gr JHP in the regular .45 Colt section with a DNR and only one weight; 8.9 grs for Universal Clays.

That book is also known as the Complete Reloading Manual for the .45 Colt.

Speers older loading data was really very hot. I still use some of it in 357 mag, but their top end data in Speer manuals before #12 (I believe) merit a great deal of caution before using. I most commonly use 45 Auto Rim data for 250-260 gr. loads when I even bother with them. If more horsepower is needed I simply go with a bigger caliber/gun.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Sounds like I need to just make the switch to AA#9 powder for more velocity to stay in the safe pressure range. It's listed under the Ruger Only section. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Sounds like I need to just make the switch to AA#9 powder for more velocity to stay in the safe pressure range. It's listed under the Ruger Only section. Thank you.
    What sort of velocities are you looking for? I'm a big fan of AA #9. You said "Super Redhawk". Is it a .454 gun?
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I'm trying to reach 950 to 1,000 fps, maybe 1100 fps. And, yes, it's chambered for the .454 Casull.
    I'm trying to find a good balance between power for bowling pins and recoil. The Universal Clays load at published max of 8.5 grs falls short.

What velocities are you getting with 8.5gr and how long is the barrel?

What powders do you have access to?

It's a 7.5" barrel. I haven't chrono'd the Universal Clays load yet, but it's not moving the bowling pins like I want them to. Hodgdon says 8.5 grs of Univ. Clays, which the listed max, is supposed to make 856 fps out of a 7.25" barrel.
    I guess I got spoiled with the 300 gr JSP rounds I used before with 7.7 grs of Titegroup. I'm running low on those bullets and that powder, which is why I'm experimenting with the 250 gr XTPs that I have plenty of and other powders I have.

I've got Universal Clays, AA#9, WSF, VV N350, and AA#5. And less than 1/5 of a LB of Titegroup.
    I tried 8.0 grs of Titegroup with the 250 XTP bullet and it seems to put me right in the power/recoil area I'd like to be, but I don't have a lot of that powder and I don't like how that powder almost disappears in the large .45 Colt case. I'd prefer to use a powder that fills more of the case for safety reasons.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 09-25-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don't have a .45 Colt, but I do have a copy of Hornady's Seventh Edition manual.

Of the powders you list for that bullet, they only have AA#9 in the "Ruger & T/C" .45 Colt section. From a 10" T/C barrel, 16.8 grains went 1150 fps, and the max load of 20.6 grains went 1350 fps.

User Tag List