Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Finnish civil guard drill. Valid even today.

I’m fortunate to have a dept. indoor range. With a coworker who shoots, we did a kind of variation: shooting hand only at 25 yards, large silhouettes, etc.. Variation was we turned our dots off and used the irons(!) just for fun, but also instructive. My friend slid by me with 8 for 8 hits. I “passed” with a 7 of 8, one high just over shoulder.-ach du lieber! Fun little test.
    I can imagine the Luger might have too complex a mechanism to function in the very cold. Makes one appreciate some of the modern designs…
    We turned our dots back on and I got him on Givens Core Skills eval, thank goodness…

This civil guard drill is become drill that I often shoot at the end of training session. Good drill that makes you concentrate accuracy and trigger control. Good that you make different versions of it.
    I need to try different ammo with Luger. I have some old Lapua and Sako ammo to try.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    This civil guard drill is become drill that I often shoot at the end of training session. Good drill that makes you concentrate accuracy and trigger control. Good that you make different versions of it.
    I need to try different ammo with Luger. I have some old Lapua and Sako ammo to try.
    Yes, that would be good, as well as “cold” at the beginning. In your case, temperature wise too!
    I read decades ago the Luger was particular about its ammo diet-needed pretty good pressure to work that toggle action. I shot one as a teenager 50 years ago and still remember the “feel” of the angled grip.
    Nice to see an old warhorse still getting some exercise. If you come across any other tests or European police qualifications I’d be interested in reading them. Take care of that Luger and keep shooting!

User Tag List