Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliable JHP for old Series 70 1911?

The 230gr Winchester did pretty good in my testing and I would have no issue carrying them if I had to. Midway has them for $43.50 before shipping right now. They also have some Federal Train + Protect 230gr JHP for $41. I don't know for sure, but I suspect their "Versatile" HP is simply another name for their Hi-Shok line of bullets, at least it looked like it in their 9mm loading.

Winchester .45ACP 230gr JHP in vyse ballistics gel. – General Cartridge (general-cartridge.com)
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Also try a Wilson Combat ETM magazine. The results might surprise.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Surprisingly, my Commander feeds XTPs, short and conical, very far from hardball.
    I like the 200 at 900 version, just like Mr Browning said in 1905.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Golden Saber 230 gr. ammo has been the best feeding ammo that also works well terminally for my guns. That said, pay attention at least as much to the magazines you are using. The Wilson mags have a well deserved reputation for good feeding performance. I feel that the Checkmate and the new Ed Brown magazines work even a little better with a bit higher presentation and feeding angle that places the round more directly into the barrel almost completely bypassing the feed ramp on the frame. Some say that the Sig 1911 mags do the same but I have not tried any of the Sig magazines. A properly tuned extractor is also important.

How about Hornady Critical Defense for feed reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I've a 1973 vintage Series 70 1911 that is in need of some new ammo. I don't want to change the barrel on this particular pistol.
    Have it throated and polished and move on. Whatever value the pistol has in original form isn't going to send your grandkids to Harvard, so why worry about it? As a family heirloom it will have sentimental value whether it's pristine or not.

If the thought of having work done on the pistol bothers you, the possibility of your 1973 pistol sitting in evidence should give you chills.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    How about Hornady Critical Defense for feed reliability?

The polymer tip tends to hang up and stick as the round is being fed into the chamber. I wouldn't count on it to feed well in an older 1911.

Back when I carried a 45ACP 1911, I liked the 230 grain Winchester Ranger. It fed well in multiple 1911s.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    The polymer tip tends to hang up and stick as the round is being fed into the chamber. I wouldn't count on it to feed well in an older 1911.
    Thanks, very good point. I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Also be careful with exposed lead noses on JHPs for the same reason. I have great success with cast bullets, but for some reason, jacketed hollowpoints with exposed lead noses will choke some 1911s. It has to be some variation in the feed angle or something like that. Or perhaps it's a magazine issue.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List