Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable JHP for old Series 70 1911?

Reliable JHP for old Series 70 1911?

I've a 1973 vintage Series 70 1911 that is in need of some new ammo. I don't want to change the barrel on this particular pistol.

So... is there a quality JHP round that has a reputation for feeding reliability, particularly in old school Colts?
    Way back in the day I recall this pistol having occasional problems with some brands and doing fine with others, hardball of course was great. I've been out of the .45 world long enough that any detailed knowledge is long out of date. With the current ammo drought I would like to short cut the whole search for a reliable choice.
    My apologies to weasels.

Site Supporter
    Old school advice -find a bullet with as close a profile as possible as a 230 g Round Nose Lead of FMJ-the default rec by more than one of my mentors was Remington.

I would look at Remington Golden Saber. I might even take the barrel only to a store and do a bit of “plunk” testing to confirm.

Let’s us know what you do because I am sure more than one of us may be in the same boat.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I second the Remington Golden Saber. It's an effective bullet too.

Remington 230gr Golden Sabers or Hornady 230gr XTPs.

Vending Machine Operator
    My first thought was XTP because they have a good reputation for feeding in pretty much anything, hence their reloading popularity. If Golden Saber works I'd favor that as a carry round, so worth checking.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

HST has a very ball-type profile with a rounded ogive and not really any sharp edges at the hollowpoint cavity.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I'll be able to just get three brands to try now. One issue is that the pistol is at my sister's house out of state. So, no quick report back until a visit in December probably.
    My apologies to weasels.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I'll be able to just get three brands to try now. One issue is that the pistol is at my sister's house out of state. So, no quick report back until a visit in December probably.
    Ammo price / availability being what it is right now, maybe that's for the best!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Old school advice -find a bullet with as close a profile as possible as a 230 g Round Nose Lead of FMJ-the default rec by more than one of my mentors was Remington.

I would look at Remington Golden Saber. I might even take the barrel only to a store and do a bit of “plunk” testing to confirm.

Let’s us know what you do because I am sure more than one of us may be in the same boat.
    Back in the day, I bought several boxes of Winchester White Box 230 gr HP ammo for what now would be a paltry sum. Back then I was a total stud for spending that kind of money. They fed well in everything and had an excellent street reputation. This is the closest thing Winchester now lists: https://winchesterarmory.com/product...-hollow-point/

It may be worth trying a box to see what you think. FWIW, the list price shown is well over double what I paid in the olden days.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Back in the day, I bought several boxes of Winchester White Box 230 gr HP ammo for what now would be a paltry sum. Back then I was a total stud for spending that kind of money. They fed well in everything and had an excellent street reputation. This is the closest thing Winchester now lists: https://winchesterarmory.com/product...-hollow-point/

It may be worth trying a box to see what you think. FWIW, the list price shown is well over double what I paid in the olden days.
    I think so, too.

The Winchester .45ACP 230-grain JHP has a relatively round nose profile and might be an option for the OP if it feeds correctly in his 1911. Unfortunately, although it was initially offered by Winchester as ''economy'' option, current prices range from $50.00 to $65.00 for a box of 50 rounds at various online retailers.

Tested in H2O in the following link, its predicted terminal performance was fairly reasonable.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post776342

The Federal .45ACP 230-grain Hi-Shok JHP might also be another option for the OP since its nose profile is also similar to that of ball ammo. Predicted penetration depth was quite shallow.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post775652
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 09-23-2022 at 06:46 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List