Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: General (and some specific) Defensive Shotgun Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Mossberg vs Remington is just personal preference.

I do like the fact that you're not going to get your thumb jammed between the shell lifter and receiver like in Remingtons and the tang safety. Those are imo the only functional differences.

Also kinda nostalgic from use in the Marines.
    I got started shotgunning with an 835, and it was quite awhile until I understood that shell lifters in most shotguns don’t only pop down while the action’s open. It felt like such a clear difference in loading the guns that even now, I still wonder why “lifter up” during loading appears to only be a Mossberg thing.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Oof...I wish you hadn't mentioned them. I went and looked them up, because I hadn't heard of them. And aye-aye-aye...they do some nice work...This Model 12 gives me a bad case of 'wants'.

http://instagram.com/p/CAEPbhrp7Pg/
    If you want to take over my Model 12 project gun, holla.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Does it have to be new or NOS?

If not, and you are just leery of the history, buy a beater one at a pawn shop and send it to Wilson for their Remington Steal package.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun...remingtonsteal
    This is sorta what I did, though I got mine from Summit. I'm really happy with the work, and it made it through a class with the Haughts with only a couple of through bolts loosening once (I understand this is common with the 870). I've also got a 590A1 I bought new around 2008 and it's clunky in comparison; I had to replace the ejector soon after I bought it but it's been 100% since. I prefer the 870.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    This is sorta what I did, though I got mine from Summit. I'm really happy with the work, and it made it through a class with the Haughts with only a couple of through bolts loosening once (I understand this is common with the 870). I've also got a 590A1 I bought new around 2008 and it's clunky in comparison; I had to replace the ejector soon after I bought it but it's been 100% since. I prefer the 870.
    What bolts came loose? I notice on a lot of modified 870s, there’s screws where the trigger group pins are. Were those what was coming loose and what is the point of them?
    Also, why did the ejector need replacing on the 590A1?
    It's my understanding that the ejector, ejector spring and shell-stops are staked in place. I do like that they are more easily replaceable on the Mossberg.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 09-29-2022 at 06:44 AM.

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-22578.html

I've been going through old threads on home defense shotguns, and stumbled upon this one from 2016. It seemed that there were many good points about the advantages of a quality semi auto shotgun over a pump action, specifically that there is less chance for user error. The thought process is that using quality defensive ammunition, a reliable semi auto shotgun like a Benelli M4 or a Beretta 1301 is going to be less likely to have an issue than a user-cycled pump action. Some anecdotal experiences in the thread revealed some who had been shotgunning for decades and never short stroked... until they did.

I also noticed a lot of praise for the Benelli M2, though I've always had it in my mind that the Benelli M4 is the ultimate for an ultra-reliable semi auto shotgun.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I like this guy's work. What about Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies?
    CBC does excellent work. I've handled multiple samples of his work and it's always been impressive. So impressive that I trusted him to do a restoration on a family heirloom, a single shot 16 gauge Model 37A that I used as my primary hunting gun when I was a kid. I dropped a fair few rabbit and squirrel with that gun.

Wilson Combat's packages are nice. I've had the chance to run Rob Haught's signature WC gun as well as having one of my own guns refinished in their Armor Tuff finish and it seems to slick guns up extremely well. They run much smoother after the ArmorTuff finish is applied. Smoother, even, than the guns I've got with cerakote and NP3'd internals. Not by much, but enough for me to notice.

I think it's a tad expensive for the work they are doing, but the full package guns are solid performers.

Also, just curious, but why do you prefer the 870 over the Mossberg 590A1?
    The first gun I ever fired was an old Wingmaster in 12 gauge. I like the action better and it's easier to do work on the trigger plate with the 870 than the Mossberg. But mostly it's just personal preference.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've been going through old threads on home defense shotguns, and stumbled upon this one from 2016. It seemed that there were many good points about the advantages of a quality semi auto shotgun over a pump action, specifically that there is less chance for user error.
    On a shot to shot basis, yes.

On the basis of getting the gun into action in the first place...well...that's where it gets complicated. And keep in mind that one of the reasons why people short stroke shotguns is because of how ill-fitting most of them are. The Magpul stock, ugly though it may be, does an excellent job of reducing the LOP for most folks enough that it allows the hand to be closer to the body while working the action, which guarantees more power.

So where are you most vulnerable to making the mistake? Between shots, or getting the gun into action in the first place?

It's like anything else in life...you are picking the set of problems you want to have. I've run my semi-auto shotguns enough that I can problem solve with them at speed. Most people aren't putting that kind of flight time on a defensive shotgun and so CHUNK-CHUNK-BOOM-CHUNK-CHUNK is a pretty good strategy for them.
    3/15/2016

I notice on a lot of modified 870s, there’s screws where the trigger group pins are. Were those what was coming loose and what is the point of them?
    I think you're referring to the Sidesaddle mounting bolts. They replace the trigger pins and thread into the Sidesaddle where it mounts on the opposite side of the receiver.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response
    Assistant Instructor at Protective Shooting Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    On a shot to shot basis, yes.

On the basis of getting the gun into action in the first place...well...that's where it gets complicated. And keep in mind that one of the reasons why people short stroke shotguns is because of how ill-fitting most of them are. The Magpul stock, ugly though it may be, does an excellent job of reducing the LOP for most folks enough that it allows the hand to be closer to the body while working the action, which guarantees more power.

So where are you most vulnerable to making the mistake? Between shots, or getting the gun into action in the first place?
    In my experience I’ve been more vulnerable with making the mistake between shots rather than getting the gun into action to begin with. Particularly under “stress” or speed, like shooting at ducks before they get too far away.

For hunting I’ve been using a Beretta Silver Mallard semi auto the last several years, but I like the idea of a pump for defense and have an attraction to them.

For hunting I’ve been using a Beretta Silver Mallard semi auto the last several years, but I like the idea of a pump for defense and have an attraction to them.
    Man, I'd go back and read TC's response to my Q" "If someone is running a hunting gun of same/similar action to their defensive gun are they at an advantage?"

If you're running a AL390 - a 1301 will have the safety in the same place as an AL390. You're already used to having to hit a bolt release to drop the bolt. The 1301 has just a little bit different manual of arms, but not so different that your time behind an AL390 is a hinderance as opposed to a help. If you run a Beretta semi-auto hunting gun, I would emphatically not recommend a Benelli. The Benelli has a different semi-auto manual of arms compared to the Berettas.

User Tag List