Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Alaskan for non magnum loads?

Thanks for pointing out the finger groove-less Hogues. I wasn't aware of those.

Name:  1553959483899-2058445526_jpg-895090~2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  29.6 KB
    The 4" redhawk handled hot loads pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    OP's subject is something I've been wondering about as well. It sure seems like the gun would last forever using .45 ACP or moderate .45 Colt loads. Only question is, are there any .45ACP/.45 Colt JHP loads that would be able to expand out of a 2.5" barrel? The velocities you cite above, are those chrono'd from the Alaskan?

Then again, even if no expansion is attainable, a moderate .45 Colt or .45 ACP full wadcutter would probably be pretty effective on it's own.
    My understanding with pistol rounds in revolvers is BC gap probably going to be bigger issue than barrel length.

Plus one needs to remember pistol and revolver barrel length isn't an Apples to Apples comparison because revolver has added length of the cylinder that adds to the functional length of the revolver's "barrel".

My J frame with a 1.875" barrel if measured from base of cartridge at bottom of cylinder like you would on a pistol is ~3.5" long so for functional barrel length its about the same as my G26 minus whatever you loose to the BC gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Blazer Aluminum 45 Colt - CCI Ammo USA

These worked well out of a Blackhawk 4.6"(and longer barrels). CCI doesn't claim the bullet as a Gold Dot but recovered rounds looked just like the Gold Dot. I'm thinking it should work at least OK out of the 2.5".

I do miss my .45 Colts and peruse the pawn shops looking for one. If Ruger would ever produce a run of Blackhawks I would be happy with that.
    I like the 44 special version of that load https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001523065 I've used that for decades in my 629 for nightstand duty.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Thanks, I was not aware of this loading. I gotta think even if it doesn't get picture-perfect expansion out of a 2.5" barrel, it'll probably still be pretty nasty.
    I haven't owned a 45 Colt gun yet, but the similar 44 special load has a huge HP, like will fit nose of Federal 9mm BPLE bullet into the HP cavity IIRC.

User Tag List