Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story Time - ACW

Story Time - ACW

This year will mark 33 years as LEO and while I am still working (not sure when it will be time). By policy I am not able to endorse anything and by no way is this an endorsement. I have had a badge number assigned to me since 2005, however our badges and numbers changed a few years ago. But the coworkers I hang out with know me as the old badge number.

I thought it would be cool to own my favorite piece (1911 Style) with the badge number as my serial number. I started researching Springfield Armory FBI Govt Models (Professional, Bureau, HRT) for early serial numbers.

While Springfield was no help as it apparently is not public information to release serial number info, but I think if you are “in”, and you know the right people there… it can be obtained. I also met a few online who are very knowledgeable about this type of info and it’s a needle in 1000 haystacks kind of game. That puzzle will never be solved.

Some years ago, I had spoken to Rob at the original ACW at length via email on repairing a COACP that had sentimental attachment and I had garage smithed messed up (cosmetically) in the 90s. I finally sent it to him and while there were some areas that could not be repaired (hey…. I have a big heavy hand), ACW did a great job if fixing what I f’d up. Play $$$$ back then were tight and my intentions were to send it back to Rob at ACW to complete the job when I save more $$$$ (checkered front strap and black finish). When I contacted Rob about a year or so later to finish my COACP, he done moved to Cabot and not taking in any work for ACW.

ACW eventually re-opened and early 2020, I started communicating with Rob on a “piece” for a gift to me for 30 years as LEO. I had asked if my badge number could be my serial number. It took Rob sometime to get back to me with that info, but unfortunately the serial number request could not happen. Disappointed yes, and I mulled over on a decision for some time.

I decided on a Commander style ACW, and I took delivery of my Classic Carry while on quarantine in late Dec 2020. It’s a very nice piece, cost me a pretty penny and while I am very happy with it… it was missing something.

FFWD to Nov 2021.

I am always looking at the new ACWs that hit the “street” and when I noticed the ACW serial numbers hit the 900 range, I was having conversations with myself on the possibility of getting my badge number on a 1911 style pistol again. It was still several hundred numbers away and I was concerned Rob would say no…. I waited weeks before I built up the courage to ask Rob.

I essentially told Rob, I don’t care how long it takes, put my name in the hat, if I have to send IOUs, if I have to wait, if I have to pay a little extra, and I wanted no special treatment meaning as the frames come in… I want this one “1201”. Rob made no promises and asked me what I was planning on ordering. I told him a plain jane Prime 5” in .45acp to be made into a hard fit range piece.

Rob had told me that frame was a few months away but ordered it as a Prime model frame and I was just to sit and wait for the frame to come in. After several impatient PMs to Rob and 6 months later “1201” arrived at ACW. Now the build time wait which was supposed to be estimated completion in late Oct 2022 which I had figured late Dec 2022 to early 2023.

Much to my surprise “1201” arrived early Sept 2022 (no complaints). I know I have been a pain to Rob on my two builds and my timing could not have been more accurate on making contact with Rob for 1201.

I am not sure I can justify two ACWs and I prefer a Commander length gun due to my arm length but if I could only keep one…. It will be 1201.

I ask Rob for permission to release this journey for my true retirement piece. I am not sure what red tape or issues 1201 caused but thank you very much, Rob.

While I call it my retirement piece, that means I will likely not buy another 1911 style piece of this magnitude. I chose a range piece as I plan to be there a lot when retirement does happen.

I am off work this week burning use or lose and I wanted to go to the range today, but my home chore list was long…. So, I must prioritize. Maybe range time tomorrow.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

That’s awesome, my Unit # is 1201, but our badge numbers are our employee numbers. Our unit numbers change as we advance but our badge numbers never change. Glad it worked out!! I’m starting on year 27, myself and hope to do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    That’s awesome, my Unit # is 1201, but our badge numbers are our employee numbers. Our unit numbers change as we advance but our badge numbers never change. Glad it worked out!! I’m starting on year 27, myself and hope to do something similar.
    I have had many numbers too. Employee #, Patrolman, Senior Patrolman, Detective, Sgt and Lt. Our current badge is our employee number but my radio call sign and number is 1201.

Some things are worth the hassle, cost and waiting for. Nice piece man, very nice piece!

I forgot to add this image

Very nice shooting man. Be interesting to see how'd she do at 50 & 100 yards. Just fine, I'd bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Very nice shooting man. Be interesting to see how'd she do at 50 & 100 yards. Just fine, I'd bet.
    CS, that's the test target that came with my piece since I opted for hard fit. I might be off, but I think that's 10 shots.

Field strip, oil and church grips.

ready for the range

Vending Machine Operator
    That is a very nice pistol. The badge-inlaid grips are just the sickest thing.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Posts like this makes me wish I didn’t bail on my Acw order but it had to be. Fantastic looking gun.

Site Supporter
    That gun reminds me a lot of my Special Combat Government, which is a Good Thing.

Name:  SCG.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  38.2 KB

User Tag List