Thread: Advanced Application of Pistol Fundamentals

Advanced Application of Pistol Fundamentals

I took the Advanced Application of Pistol Fundamentals Course on 3 September 2022 in Culpepper, VA. The course was 8 hours in length. Equipment used was one Glock19 pistol with Trijicon iron sights, Glock magazines, FMJ ammunition, Bravo Concealment holster and magazine case. I used Federal Eagle ammunition and did not encounter any issues with the equipment throughout the course of training. Topics discussed, covered, and drilled included meet-up and administrative procedures, convoy to the range, introduction to the instructors and classmates, range safety procedures, grip improvement, sight alignment refinement, trigger press techniques as well as several one-off tips on assisting the shooter to be able to place the round more accurately on target. We shot at varied distances (from 5-50 years) on a variety of paper targets. We also tested our skills in the afternoon on a steel target from 25-88 yards. We learned, rehearsed, and fired from the holster using the 4-count draw technique. Our last exercise was the B8 target assessment whereby we were given the opportunity to evaluate what we had learned all day. A rough estimate on ammo shot was approximately 300+ rounds.

Sustain - The instructors were top notch. They were organized, maintained range safety all day, showed a genuine interest in improving every student in the course and were able to "walk the walk" with their occasional demonstration of technical expertise. They provided shade, water, and good conversation during the reload and break periods. Their ability to explain not just how to drill a given technique, but why, is what set this course apart from any that I had taken in the past. Also, the porta-potties we cleaner than most. In short, the plethora of drills and techniques that green-ops shared with us on 3 September 2022 were invaluable, indispensable, and most can’t be easily replicated elsewhere.

Improve - I genuinely have no complaints. The difficulties that some were encountering were equipment related. I suppose if there were a way to check the functionality of every student's pistol prior to arrival at the training site, more success could be enjoyed. That said, the minimum age requirement for this course is eighteen, so some degree of adult responsibility is implied. Some of this stuff is just difficult to mitigate in advance (e.g., until you are either told or learn for yourself that Glock's factory sights suck and will shift on you after a period of shooting, how are you supposed to know?). What I can say is that for the couple guys that clearly had more equipment than technique related issues, they were well informed of such by course completion and still appeared to be happy with the course.

Overall, I do not know enough about civilian-led firearms' instruction to be able to objectively isolate the "needs improvement" areas. That said, I simply had no complaints with this course. Additionally, I think it a big challenge to find a better course that promises the same or similar skills, concepts, techniques, and drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wright View Post
    I took the Advanced Application of Pistol Fundamentals Course on 3 September 2022 in Culpepper, VA. The course was 8 hours in length. Equipment used was one Glock19 pistol with Trijicon iron sights, Glock magazines, FMJ ammunition, Bravo Concealment holster and magazine case. I used Federal Eagle ammunition and did not encounter any issues with the equipment throughout the course of training. Topics discussed, covered, and drilled included meet-up and administrative procedures, convoy to the range, introduction to the instructors and classmates, range safety procedures, grip improvement, sight alignment refinement, trigger press techniques as well as several one-off tips on assisting the shooter to be able to place the round more accurately on target. We shot at varied distances (from 5-50 years) on a variety of paper targets. We also tested our skills in the afternoon on a steel target from 25-88 yards. We learned, rehearsed, and fired from the holster using the 4-count draw technique. Our last exercise was the B8 target assessment whereby we were given the opportunity to evaluate what we had learned all day. A rough estimate on ammo shot was approximately 300+ rounds.

Sustain - The instructors were top notch. They were organized, maintained range safety all day, showed a genuine interest in improving every student in the course and were able to "walk the walk" with their occasional demonstration of technical expertise. They provided shade, water, and good conversation during the reload and break periods. Their ability to explain not just how to drill a given technique, but why, is what set this course apart from any that I had taken in the past. Also, the porta-potties we cleaner than most. In short, the plethora of drills and techniques that green-ops shared with us on 3 September 2022 were invaluable, indispensable, and most can’t be easily replicated elsewhere.

Improve - I genuinely have no complaints. The difficulties that some were encountering were equipment related. I suppose if there were a way to check the functionality of every student's pistol prior to arrival at the training site, more success could be enjoyed. That said, the minimum age requirement for this course is eighteen, so some degree of adult responsibility is implied. Some of this stuff is just difficult to mitigate in advance (e.g., until you are either told or learn for yourself that Glock's factory sights suck and will shift on you after a period of shooting, how are you supposed to know?). What I can say is that for the couple guys that clearly had more equipment than technique related issues, they were well informed of such by course completion and still appeared to be happy with the course.

Overall, I do not know enough about civilian-led firearms' instruction to be able to objectively isolate the "needs improvement" areas. That said, I simply had no complaints with this course. Additionally, I think it a big challenge to find a better course that promises the same or similar skills, concepts, techniques, and drills.
    Thank you for the wonderful AAR and for coming out to train with us. We hope to see you soon in another class. Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List