Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone delt with identity theft?

Anyone delt with identity theft?

Received an email receipt today for a $20 purchase from a PTO function at a elementary school. It was run through Square. The receipt showed the last 4 digits of the card and that it was a MasterCard

I only have 2 cards and neither are Mastercard. Nor did I buy anything from a school in a different state.

I have excellent credit history and don't want to lower my score. So far the card has not shown up on any at any of the reporting agencies But I already put a lock on all 3 reporting agencies and tomorrow morning I'm calling the school.

Anything else I should do?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Received an email receipt today for a $20 purchase from a PTO function at a elementary school. It was run through Square. The receipt showed the last 4 digits of the card and that it was a MasterCard

I only have 2 cards and neither are Mastercard. Nor did I buy anything from a school in a different state.

I have excellent credit history and don't want to lower my score. So far the card has not shown up on any at any of the reporting agencies But I already put a lock on all 3 reporting agencies and tomorrow morning I'm calling the school.

Did the email involve a link? That part could actually be the scam

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Did the email involve a link? That part could actually be the scam
    No link but you can click on order details. It had my name, email and phone number will one digit off.

No link but you can click on order details. It had my name, email and phone number will one digit off.

Probably trying to see what they could get away with. It's happened to me way too much (had a unit officer get a laptop stolen with our battalions social security numbers on it). You're doing the right thing, put the notice out there and keep an eye on it. Pretty much nothing else you can. Keep records.

After calling Mastercard, FTC, Police, School and credit agencies.....no one can actually do anything.

Mostly I was rather disappointed in Mastercard, they say they can't do anything without the name of the bank that issued it. If it's under my name you'd think they can look it up by name!

FTC was completely useless. All they can do is give a packet on how to proceed next.

So it seems now it's a waiting game. Waiting for the bank info to pop up on the credit report site

If you have ever had a security clearance (before 2015 or so) all of your personal data was compromised by OPM. Several years ago I had someone use the information to breach my bank and get about $20K. The bank ate the loss, but be aware that that information is out there. The feds did give me 1 year of free credit monitoring for the data breach (yippee!)

If you do not already do this, activate a credit freeze with all three major credit bureaus. That way no one can get new credit, including you, in your name (SS number). When you need to have your credit pulled, you deactivate the freeze at the bureau the lender(s) use(s) for a short period of time. It can be a PITA when trying to get a mortgage, purchase a vehicle, or open a new banking account, but it makes it almost impossible for someone to obtain debt in your name. For me, the once in a while PITA is worth the added security.

I have only had several too-common credit card hacks.
    My credit union is not as fast on the replacement as some banks.
    I now keep two credit cards, one normally used only for in person purchases, the other for www orders. But each serves as a spare for the other use.

Once I quit buying gas at the station where an attendant actually pumps the gas... and takes your credit card to a terminal in a booth between pumps, I have not lost a card since. What a coinkydinky.
    A shame, it is the only place nearby with non-alcoholic premium that my BMW likes. I have paid cash there a few times to juice it up.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I’ve had a few wonky charges, most notable was a $1250ish purchase on the PlayStation network, or whatever it is called. As much as USAA drives me crazy, they moved quick and I had the funds in my account in about three nights.

Most of my false charges were back when I traveled a lot, so there was the extra exposure. Now we have dedicated cards each for gas, groceries and whatnot, and online purchasing. Haven’t had a bad charge in about a year with that system.

Also second the credit freeze, it is annoying to deal with it but worth it, IMO. Also have template letters ready and saved for the credit agencies just in case.

Should go without saying but as convenient as PayPal, Venmo, and other similar services, are their appeal/dispute process is absolutely infuriating.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Any possibility it was a clerical error where someone at the PTO function with a Mastercard asked for an email receipt and they said “sure, we’ll send it to the account on file with this phone number…”

Did you check your PTO account to see if your phone number is wrong? Because there might be someone else with that phone number in your PTO and if you typo’d yours, you might have semi hacked theirs inadvertently.

User Tag List