Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Banff and Montana vacation input

Site Supporter

RFI - Banff and Montana vacation input

Thinking of driving up to Banff right after Labor Day. Probably staying at friends’ in Boise and Spokane on the way up, but considering a detour on the way back to explore some of Montana.

I’ve only been to Calgary and Billings for work, never spent any “fun time” in these areas. Any input is welcome/appreciated, especially in terms of “can’t miss” or “not worth it” sights, good places to eat, etc. Will be just me and my wife, driving my car, staying in hotels. We are in our sixties, like to hike, and like both wilderness and cities.

Cant help with Montana or Banff. Jasper is about 100 km north. Small friendly and very cool town. some of the best hiking I've done was around Mt Robson, another couple hours north of Jasper. Well worth the drive. Highly recommend checking out Jasper and Mt Robson hiking.

I'd be very interested in a trip report whatever you decide.

Best of luck and have fun!
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Site Supporter
    Glacier National Park is beautiful. Going to the Sun Road and the Highline Trail (long, but pretty flat, along the side of mountains) are splendid. I was there in early September last year, and be advised that it was absolutely crawling with grizzlies, including mothers with cubs. My desire to visit Banff, unarmed, waned a bit after that experience.

Rising Sun Pizza outside the east entrance of the park had the best chicken wings we've ever tasted.

We were in the Banff area about 15 years ago, after first being up that way about 30 years ago. We hit it mid-summer this last time. The crowds and traffic around Banff-Jasper were stunning, especially compared to what we experienced on our first trip. Traveling over to Robson Provincial Park was like going to another world: far fewer people, camp sites available, much more enjoyable vibe. You will probably have better crowd conditions in September though. Just be prepared with an alternative if the main attraction is jammed.
    And driving the Icefield Parkway is beautiful.

Site Supporter
    Unfamiliar with Banff but the wife and I spent a week in and around the Bozeman MT area and fell in love with it! Absolutely stunning views everywhere. We went on a nice hike every day, from 3-7 miles depending on our timeline. As that’s the Mecca of fly fishing, I went out on a full day guided trip and picked up a new hobby. Food is great in Bozeman, but not much once you get out of the city with respect to nightlife and restaurants. All in all, I highly recommend the Bozeman, Livingston, etc area. We spent three days exploring the Yellowstone National Park and I’m still in awe of that place. It’s truly another world. We’re going back next year and bringing our kids this time. A must have is a good pair of binoculars; you can’t spend too much on good optics as the distance stretches out when you’re out west. And plenty of extra layers. I was watching the weather for a month prior to going and was expecting 55 degrees. Which it was, but also dipped down in the high 20s - low 30s when storms rolled in from the mountains.

Site Supporter
    The wife and I went to Banff for our honeymoon. We are not skiers, but there is a lot of skiing there. We loved Sulfur Mountain and Lake Louise. There's a lot of good food there. We hiked some easy stuff around Lake Louise, which was beautiful, but there's a lot more hiking up on the glacier. Theobald said there would be a ton of wildlife around town during the summer. We were there in the fall. Don't leave any food out anywhere, there are enormous ravens that can and will get into anything.

I was advised during trip planning to Yellowstone to travel South from Billings to Red Lodge and drive the Beartooth Mountain road to Silver Gate. Best advise ever. The Beartooth range is breathtaking. Almost better than Yellowstone.

Also, been to Glacier. There really isn't a bad spot in Glacier. Just be prepared to hike. The Highline trail was the crown of that trip.

The mountains are still calling me back there ever since 2012.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    The Beartooth range is breathtaking.
    So true. The drive up and over Beartooth Pass is among my favorites ever, and I’ve been around. It’s a long way from Glacier and Banff, though.

Site Supporter
    Great info so far; thanks everyone!!!

Add-on question: anyone have experience bringing pistols into Canada? I know I can’t actually carry a pistol in Canada, but I’d like to be armed for the US portion of the trip if it’s not too much hassle dealing with having the pistol in the car in Canada.

Years ago I had to go into Canada quite a bit to do work and that was a pain in the ass. At the time they really didn’t want to let you in even for a week if there was any chance a Canadian could do the work, even though technically I should have been allowed in with no problems. I’m a bit worried bringing a pistol in might be the same sort of pain.

I know the minimum barrel length law means my P365 and G19 are out of the question. if I do this I’ll probably pick up a G48 as my “go pretty much anywhere” pistol, which in practice means “go to WA”. That’s assuming a G48 behaves well with bear-capable loads which is another thing I will need to research.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I was advised during trip planning to Yellowstone to travel South from Billings to Red Lodge and drive the Beartooth Mountain road to Silver Gate. Best advise ever. The Beartooth range is breathtaking. Almost better than Yellowstone.

Also, been to Glacier. There really isn't a bad spot in Glacier. Just be prepared to hike. The Highline trail was the crown of that trip.

The mountains are still calling me back there ever since 2012.
    This sounds awesome! Unfortunately the Beartooth range part might need to wait for another trip when I have more time. Thanks for the idea though, it’s definitely going on my list.

When I went to Yellowstone I was driving from West Virginia so I came through Cody to get there. That was really fun just because we got to see the rodeo while we were in Cody.

User Tag List