Thread: Repurposing 18650 batteries???

Repurposing 18650 batteries???

My cordless vacuum stopped working because the battery pack went bad. I decided to open up the pack to see what was in there… turns out it was comprised on eight 18650 cells.

I fave a few non-tactical flashlights that use 18650s. Do you guys think it’s worth repurposing any of the cells that might still be good? Or am I just wasting my time trying to separate and test the cells… they are connected together with spot welds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    My cordless vacuum stopped working because the battery pack went bad. I decided to open up the pack to see what was in there… turns out it was comprised on eight 18650 cells.

I fave a few non-tactical flashlights that use 18650s. Do you guys think it’s worth repurposing any of the cells that might still be good? Or am I just wasting my time trying to separate and test the cells… they are connected together with spot welds.
    nope.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have done this in the distant past to get high drain, unprotected cells. I used new packs. It’s probably not worth it for used / compromised cells.

A lot of battery packs including those that power Tesla cars are just lots of 18650 batteries.

No, you should definitely not repurpose them.

New battery pack.
    #RESIST

Thanks everyone… the old battery pack is off to the battery recycling spot.

There are two types of 18560 batteries button and non-button. The one of them is longer and certian devices won't accept/work with the wrong type.

https://www.large.net/news/8ju43pg.html

Also:

Some 18650 batteries have outer layers or extra coating. The purpose of the outer layer is to secure the battery correctly. After all, there are some chances of cells suffering from overheating. For this reason, some manufacturers take extra precautions. The covering is one of the forms of extra precautions. There are, however, some 18650 batteries that do not have additional coverage. The lack of extra coating is mostly for the purpose of function and usage.
    Was it designed for standalone use? Or designed for use in a sealed pack?

Preventing Fire and/or Explosion Injury from Small and Wearable Lithium Battery Powered Devices
    OSHA Safety and Health Information Bulletin
    https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/f...shib011819.pdf
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List