Thread: Need Some Advice - Ruger Redhawk 45lc Round Butt Grips... Ergos are Horrible!

Need Some Advice - Ruger Redhawk 45lc Round Butt Grips... Ergos are Horrible!

So - I was re-reading the 45LC service pistol thread and it caused me to dig out my barely fired Redhawk round butt in 45LC 4.2 inch barrel.

It is barely fired because I find the ergos of the grip horrible! The exposed backstrap combined with the round butt make it painful to shoot with anything but "cowboy" loads. The heavier loads I use in my Blackhawk Bisley are a no go. When I went to look for Redhawk grips it seems like the discontinued Uncle Mikes are the reccomended.

1.) Does anyone here on the forum have experience with this revolver? Any advice regarding grips and the Redhawk?

2.) Is it worth the hunt for grips... or should I send it down the river? (Have you ever had a "problem child" in the grip area that you wish you would have "quit while you were ahead"?

3.) I like the versatility of 45LC and I like the 4" barrel. The Ruger Only 45LC loads are what interest me the most... but maybe the Alaskan would be a better launcher? How hot can you push the 45LC in the S&W models?

4.) Can I run the square butt grips on the round butt frame?

I have not normally done a lot of changing of grips with revolvers so it is a little new to me... any advice is appreciated.

Hamilton Bowen built me an "Alpine" RedHawks, four inch round butt, .45 LC. I despised the round butt. He built me a second on in .44 magnum with a square butt that I really like. Can't offer advice in what to do, but can confirm the round butt doesn't help in this application.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hamilton Bowen built me an "Alpine" RedHawks, four inch round butt, .45 LC. I despised the round butt. He built me a second on in .44 magnum with a square butt that I really like. Can't offer advice in what to do, but can confirm the round butt doesn't help in this application.
    GJM - Thank you for the feedback. If push comes to shove, Do you think it is possible to replicate the square butt with a set of wooden grips... a sort of "conversion"? (Having had both, I thought you would be able to offer an informed "guess" if nothing else.)

I have a friend with a Bowen Redhawk (square butt and 45LC) and he LOVES it... I do as well. When we are in Montana / Glacier area it has been in his chesty while camping and fishing togther.

JDP

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    GJM - Thank you for the feedback. If push comes to shove, Do you think it is possible to replicate the square butt with a set of wooden grips... a sort of "conversion"? (Having had both, I thought you would be able to offer an informed "guess" if nothing else.)

I have a friend with a Bowen Redhawk (square butt and 45LC) and he LOVES it... I do as well. When we are in Montana / Glacier area it has been in his chesty while camping and fishing togther.

JDP
    It has been too many years since I was messing with RedHawks to offer any good advice. An inexpensive try might be a set of Hogue rubber grips and see if they fit well enough.
    Last edited by GJM; 09-18-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A friend of mine has a RB Redhawk and having shot it, I know where you're coming from. As suggested by GJM, a $23 set of Hogue grips should be a marked improvement until you can find something better.

https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-.../dp/B07DPVDV7G

ETA: https://badgercustomgrips.com/ruger?category=Redhawk
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Pachmayr should work. The round butt frame was one of the reasons I ditched the Kodiak Backpacker for an Alaskan.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

The skinny grip panels that come with the Redhawks are indeed unpleasant to shoot with anything that has any oomph to it. I have small hands, but for some strange reason I've found that Pachmayr grips work for me. Plenty of cushy grip to hold on to.

Name:  IMG_20161019_191319800.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  66.6 KB

Very skinny grip, much ouch.

Name:  IMG_20161019_191851325.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  70.4 KB

More betterer.

(The wood grip panels do look a whole lot nicer though. Still, better an ugly gun you can shoot than a pretty one that you can't, right?)
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    The skinny grip panels that come with the Redhawks are indeed unpleasant to shoot with anything that has any oomph to it. I have small hands, but for some strange reason I've found that Pachmayr grips work for me. Plenty of cushy grip to hold on to.

Name:  IMG_20161019_191319800.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  66.6 KB

Very skinny grip, much ouch.

Name:  IMG_20161019_191851325.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  70.4 KB

More betterer.

(The wood grip panels do look a whole lot nicer though. Still, better an ugly gun you can shoot than a pretty one that you can't, right?)
    Thank you guys for the input! I am going to try a few things :

1.) Order Pachmeyers

2.) Keep hunting for Uncle Mike’s

3.) Investigate a Tyler T-Grip sort of thing for the Redhawk.

I will post back with outcomes. I appreciate the advice … and am thankful for the PF crew!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List