Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P239 Questions

SIG P239 Questions

Alright, I know that SIG has fallen far from where they once were. However, I've been shooting a friends pre-Cohen P229R 9mm for a while and I shoot it better than other platforms I've tried, namely the Glock 19 and 1911 .45.

My question is that if I can get ahold of a P239 that was made before Cohen took over, would it be an acceptable choice for CCW. My reason for asking about the 239 is because I'm currently living in CA and I don't want to carry a neutered double-stack pistol if I can avoid it.

What makes you think Sig has "fallen" since Cohen? They are as good as ever. Not all of their stuff is made in Germany anymore and the 250 series was a dud, but the original P series guns are as robust as ever. The 239 is great for CC. I only carry full-size guns, may prefernce being a 226 E2, love that SRT, but if you want a single stack and are proficient on the DA/SA system, the 239 is good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4me View Post
    What makes you think Sig has "fallen" since Cohen? They are as good as ever. Not all of their stuff is made in Germany anymore and the 250 series was a dud, but the original P series guns are as robust as ever. The 239 is great for CC. I only carry full-size guns, may prefernce being a 226 E2, love that SRT, but if you want a single stack and are proficient on the DA/SA system, the 239 is good choice.
    Well, it's my undestanding from what I've read in my research that SIG was considered one of the gold standards for quality, but now they've come out with products like the P250, 556 series rifles, etc, and that they've been cutting a lot of corners on QC while charging HK level prices or higher for said products since Cohen took over at SIG-USA.

While I take most reports on the 'net with a ton of salt, when I hear the same thing from a fairly large group of people who know what they're talking about, I'm more likely to believe them.

I have put a few rounds down range with Sig's over the past couple of weeks, and have not known much of a problem with quality control or quality problems in terms of performance.

I would certainly choose a full sized 226 over the 239, but your argument for a streamlined single stack certainly has merit. I defected a few years back, but can certainly sympathize with the unfortunate circumstances of not being able to make it out of the occupied territory.

With the proper grips, and some practice, the 239 is a viable defensive pistol. It has some quirks, and needs some minor changes in your technique to run it effeciently and effectively but it can be done. If a single stack 9mm made sense for my personal situation/needs, I would probably look very hard at the 239 as the gap filler.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I guess I could have worded my OP a bit better RE Sig and QC issues. It's just I keep hearing horror stories about them of late so I might have read too far into it. I did shoot a range rental P229 that kept having malfunctions, but that was fixed by a bit of oil since the gun was completely dry.

Thanks for the comments, by the way. They're much appreciated.

Site Supporter
    My agency issues SigSauer Classic pistols in .40 226 and 239. Back in the day, SigSauer branding meant almost absolute quality. Today, it means you evaluate the gun like you would from any other gun manufacturer.

While you might get a lemon, odds are that you will get a quality firearm. If a single stack pistol is what you want (and you're willing to pay a few extra bucks), the 239 might be a good choice.

A few years back I carried a P239 for almost a year as my primary CCW. It was quite a nice specimen. Mine was a Two-Tone DA/SA in 9mm, had NS, and SIG logo'd Crimson Trace grips. It was utterly reliable, very accurate, and quite comfortable to shoot & carry. I think the grip is large enough for most to get a good purchase and the capacity is adequate (nearly as good as your going to get anyway in Cali, right?).

Damn, thanks. Now I want it back .... and I am NO LONGER a fan of DA/SA at all.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    My question is that if I can get ahold of a P239 that was made before Cohen took over, would it be an acceptable choice for CCW. My reason for asking about the 239 is because I'm currently living in CA and I don't want to carry a neutered double-stack pistol if I can avoid it.
    The P239 is rather bulky for a single-stack 9mm pistol (it's slightly larger than a G19, for instance) but if it works better for you then it's not a bad option for concealed carry.

As for Sig's quality, yes...Sig QC is not what it once was. While they never had a perfect record, they are more hit or miss these days than ever. That doesn't mean you can't buy a Sig that works, however. If you really want a P239 buy one and then run it to ensure it functions as you expect before relying on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    .... buy one and then run it to ensure it functions as you expect before relying on it.
    And I think we can all agree this is good advice with ANY weapon you plan to trust your life to anyway.

Site Supporter
    I shot a P239 in 9mm and loved it. I just don't like how big it is for the amount of rounds it carries.

Now most of my reading about Sig QC has been on the net, so it may have little importance, but the P239 is one I read about the least in terms of problems.

User Tag List