Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop safe pistols

With all the stupid rules they change, I really wish they mandated functional firing pin blocks. Announce now, phase it in in 8-10 years. Currently owned guns will likely be shot out by then.
    I dropped a loaded gun during a match once, rather violently. It hit a wall and pointed squarely uprange, not too far from my head. I was pretty happy it had a firing pin block. My current ones do not.
    But USPSA is going to USPSA, protecting vendors and sponsors and citing safety track record.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yikes. Glad you’re safe! That’s no Bueno.

I wish that Cajun would stop selling extended striker pins as “standard” CZ upgrade. It makes them not drop safe when coupled with lighter spring.
    Agreed on that, and hopefully the shooting sports recognize the half cock position for Shadow CZ’s is a “safer” condition than full hammer down with no FPB… and the SP01 Tac and P07/9 series starts from that half cock…
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Like others here, I'm old enough to remember stories of very early glock reps putting primer only cases in G17s, and then hucking the things end over end down an indoor range to show off the safe action. Never saw that sort of thing myself, mind, but I have no problem believing that it happened.

The *only* gun I've ever dropped in a fit of complete clumsiness was an early G42. As it bounced off the carpet giving me a view of the business end, I had slow-motion time to muse to myself that I was glad it was a stock glock in good working order. 🙂

Thanks for serving to post another day, @GJM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Agreed on that, and hopefully the shooting sports recognize the half cock position for Shadow CZ’s is a “safer” condition than full hammer down with no FPB… and the SP01 Tac and P07/9 series starts from that half cock…
    Amen!!

Once I dropped a loaded p365 while getting it out of my safe. It fell right on the rear sight onto a tile floor. It’s amazing how many thoughts you can have in a fraction of a second. All the p320 drop safe testing fail videos played in my head while it was falling. Nothing happened but it scared me pretty good. I changed how my pistols were kept to prevent it from happening again.

I’ve tried to make a habit of not standing behind shooters after the CZ drop killed the RO. Uspsa has good rules but there aren’t enough rules to mitigate all the risk. Scary stuff I’m glad you’re ok!

Site Supporter
    The club where the RO was killed is down the road from me. I've shot IDPA there, not USPSA. I know some guy who saw the shooting and they won't talk about it.

I've seen things that scare me. In a class, a guy drew, of all things, a 22 semi (Ruger or Buckmark type), that was the gun he had and threw it down range. Said, OH, I threw my 'piece' down range!

I do get scared when I see someone fall, esp. hard, when they are running to make times. Some on hard floors in indoor matches. So far they've kept the gun down range. At an IDPA match, a guy I never saw ran down the lanes and fell hard. He got up and started to run hard and fell again. I would have stopped him but the SO didn't. There was an argument about that. I have difficulty with his mental state after two hard falls. Time to sit down. But folks, said - he's ok - blah, blah. Let him finish, blah, blah.

To me if you fall flat on your faces, you're done on that stage. Don't care if it screws up your 'game'. Seen folks in other circumstances take a hard fall, get up and then keel over.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Once I dropped a loaded p365 while getting it out of my safe. It fell right on the rear sight onto a tile floor. It’s amazing how many thoughts you can have in a fraction of a second.
    The G42 spaz I note, above, happened when I was getting it out of the safe. It also had a kydex trigger guard holster on it, and I had time to see the tool marks. So, yeah. Safes and small, slick guns. And the time distortion of increased perception. All of it.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I dropped a loaded, cocked, and locked Colt Officers model on an asphalt parking lot back in the day.
    It hit pointed directly at my head.

The .45 hole in the muzzle looked huge. Scared the shit out of me.

Site Supporter
    I have dropped a gun in the house, a NAA mini and nothing happened! Phew!

A note, I have talked to many men who have dropped a gun in the house as compared to outside. Outside - OMG, I hope I or others don't get shot!

At home: IF THIS GOES OFF MY WIFE WILL KILL ME (assuming your survive the drop).

You know when a hub cap comes off driving down the road how it goes blazing past the vehicle? I had that happen to a Glock 23 when I was sprinted across a Albertson's parking lot. I was real glad it was drop safe and proved it, multiple times right there.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

User Tag List