Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop safe pistols

Drop safe pistols

Yesterday, I was on the pad scoring for one new shooter. He was shooting a Glock 17 in Linited using a Double Alpha race holster. After he finished the stage, and showed clear, he holstered. The RO missed that he didn't lock his holster, and I watched as his Glock tumbled out of the holster, doing a flip, and hit the ground with the muzzle pointed at the center of my chest. As the gun was tumbling, I was pondering "empty" and a Glock, and didn't dive out of the way. With my head in the pad, I could have been oblivious.

I really do like the idea of drop safe pistols, even in competition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yikes. Glad you’re safe! That’s no Bueno.

I wish that Cajun would stop selling extended striker pins as “standard” CZ upgrade. It makes them not drop safe when coupled with lighter spring.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yikes. Glad you’re safe! That’s no Bueno.

I wish that Cajun would stop selling extended striker pins as “standard” CZ upgrade. It makes them not drop safe when coupled with lighter spring.
    I've got them in my two -75Bs with the heaviest spring they recommend (15 lb). It's been a while since I've shot them, though.

ETA: I guess you meant the firing pin spring. I don't remember which one I have in there, hopefully the Wolff heavier one.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got them in my two -75Bs with the heaviest spring they recommend (15 lb). It's been a while since I've shot them, though.

ETA: I guess you meant the firing pin spring. I don't remember which one I have in there, hopefully the Wolff heavier one.
    When the RO was killed by the dropped Shadow 2, he had the longer firing pin and the lighter spring that’s common recommendation by Cajun and CZC.

But unless super hard primers it’s not necessary at all for proper ignition.

And I’ll bet a lot of people didn’t even realize they weren’t drop safe anymore.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yesterday, I was on the pad scoring for one new shooter. He was shooting a Glock 17 in Linited using a Double Alpha race holster. After he finished the stage, and showed clear, he holstered. The RO missed that he didn't lock his holster, and I watched as his Glock tumbled out of the holster, doing a flip, and hit the ground with the muzzle pointed at the center of my chest. As the gun was tumbling, I was pondering "empty" and a Glock, and didn't dive out of the way. With my head in the pad, I could have been oblivious.

I really do like the idea of drop safe pistols, even in competition.
    Empty and stock Glock might equal not getting out of the way.

However, given the prevalence of aftermarket trigger systems for the Glock, including some which defeat the drop safeties I would be moving as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Empty and stock Glock might equal not getting out of the way.

However, given the prevalence of aftermarket trigger systems for the Glock, including some which defeat the drop safeties I would be moving as fast as possible.
    I was safe -- he wasn't wearing a "jersey." Nobody puts an aftermarket trigger in without wearing a shooting jersey!

I was safe -- he wasn't wearing a "jersey." Nobody puts an aftermarket trigger in without wearing a shooting jersey!
    I run a Timney, but the closest I get to a NASCAR wannabe jersey is an Arcterx sun hoodie that someone here recommended…

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I run a Timney, but the closest I get to a NASCAR wannabe jersey is an Arcterx sun hoodie that someone here recommended…
    The Arcteryx sun shirts are so 2019, now it is the Kuiu ones for $79.

Based on what I have seen, there is more of a chance of the Timney not firing when you want it to, then firing when you don't want it to.

Based on what I have seen, there is more of a chance of the Timney not firing when you want it to, then firing when you don't want it to.
    Funny, that happened to me at the MN Section match after chrono. Actually it would fire, but not return consistently . I spent the next 8 stages saying “chrono broke my gun”.

Off to Kuiu dot com. Oh wait, we’ll need snow hoodies before we need sun hoodies again.

Site Supporter

For the proletariat :

https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Magellan Outdoors Men's Pro Angler Gaiter Hoodie
    Shop Magellan Outdoors
    $39.99

User Tag List