Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Probably shouldn’t admit this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Memory is the second thing to go…
    Nope.

(Do you want me to text you pix? Now where did I leave my iPhone? )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    You know the first thing to go...

I'll tell you as soon as I remember...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Source confusion - here's a rundown of such memory tricks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misattribution_of_memory
    A little off topic, but is there a general subject/area/sub-field that addresses people seeing things that aren't there? I know there has been some work on people filling in the blanks of things they only partially saw, the blind spot in our vision, etc. I'm thinking somewhat different from a false memory in that the person actually observed it wrong in the first place?

Site Supporter
    That is a tremendous area. Perception is basically a constructionist process of taking the stimuli and then running it through hypotheses based on past experience and genetic predispositions to come up with your perceived experience. Stimuli below the conscious level influence it (but not in the BS way of subliminal stimuli that would make you a communist or buy Wheaties - that was crap). Memory then is a reconstruction from what the stimulus was and past other knowledge and new information presented.

That's why some much of eye witness testimony is crap. The more certainty a person has can actually be negatively correlated with the truth as they keep rehearsing an inaccurate memory and making it stronger. Then they swear to it.

It's covered in any intro cognitive psych or memory textbook. I'm sure their are wikis or memory researcher pages on such.

Name:  ForgetWhatImDoing.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  95.1 KB

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Not being able to remember books, shows, and movies prompted me to start keeping a journal. It seems about 80% of our lives goes in one ear and out the other.

If you can't remember a dozen-plus hours of entertainment, imagine how many other life events your brain is losing....
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Not being able to remember books, shows, and movies prompted me to start keeping a journal. It seems about 80% of our lives goes in one ear and out the other.

If you can't remember a dozen-plus hours of entertainment, imagine how many other life events your brain is losing....
    This.
    I keep an "Every day since birth" journal of random memories that I recall. Whether elicited by simple recall or calendar events, triggered by smells or sights or associations. Even just fragments of events. Music also helps trigger them in a big way as songs are woven into various years and seasons.
    It's very disconcerting how little of my life is immediately accessible to memory.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I was watching some old videos of when my son was a baby. (His baby is due next March or April.) He was just learning to walk and would support himself on the couch as he strolled in front of it. He made a nuhh nuhh sound that I remember from that time and thought I'd never forget.
    I had forgotten it, and would never have remember it if not for the video. Like you, I wonder about how many precious memories I've lost.

Perhaps you two started watching the show, then became distracted with something else? (Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more)!

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    A pastor visits the less devout husband of one of the church's senior members.

"Do you ever consider the hereafter?"

"Lately yes, all the time."

"Oh, how so?"

"Every time I walk into a room I think 'Now what the **** was I here after?' ".

User Tag List