Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-Grip Failure. Known issue?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    @RoyGBiv

Pics?

Every time a Sig fails I feel something fuzzy inside, and pictures help.
    I thought about taking a pic a millisecond after all the pieces hit the trash bin. I felt bad about that one.

Remember when chewing gum came in sticks? And if you left an open pack hanging around long enough, the sticks got dried out... Then, they would crumble into chunks when you put one in your mouth... That's the best description I can think of...

ALSO.... On the same gun I had the housing of a TLR split on me about a month ago. Streamlight was nice enough to replace it without any ado.
    Coincidence or related, I wonder??

I carried the gun (P2000SK in this case) for ~4 years, but never with the X-Grip. Switched to the P2000 mag and X-Grip about 3 years ago when it became my nightstand gun. The gun sits in the closed drawer with very little else in there. Some papers and a spare charging cable. And a spare foot for our bed frame. Nothing "chemical".

The gun sees only a few rounds/year, and a semi-regular wipe off and lube check. The only chemical I can think of that could have attacked the TLR and the X-Grip would be something outgassing from the furniture finish, but, the bedroom set is ~15 years old... should have finished outgassing long ago.

I don't see or feel any degradation to the polymer frame itself, but will take care next time I take it to the range, which will be soon... Don't want to find out that the frame is affected in a moment of need.

ETA: TLR Failure pic...

Name:  TLR.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  56.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This is a wild question, just try not to laugh:

By any chance, did you handle flour prior to touching the X-grip at any point? Maybe cooking in the kitchen to get food ready before you cleaned the gun, or perhaps pizza during a range outing where the excess flour rubbed on the crust got on your fingers?

It'll degrade certain types of old rubber.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

By any chance, did you handle flour prior to touching the X-grip at any point? Maybe cooking in the kitchen to get food ready before you cleaned the gun, or perhaps pizza during a range outing where the excess flour rubbed on the crust got on your fingers?

No recollection of doing so.... Not impossible, but, unlikely...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Obligatory “this wouldn’t happen to a pizzagun” comment.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Some things that are listed on evil-bay as new, are NOS, New Old Stock, and may have been stored under horrendous conditions.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List