Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 47 MOS

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    With slide mounted optics a shorter slide has benefits for tracking the dot.
    Can you elaborate on that? Because I don’t really understand that or find that to be the case.

Longer slide tends also to be heavier which leads to slower slide speeds, which helps in tracking the dot….

I cannot think of a shooting reason I would want a short slide… dot or no dot.

Drawing and comfort, sure a short slide may be better.

I would say a shorter slide isn’t as much of a penalty with a dot over irons… but I don’t know how it’s a benefit.

Unless someone is shooting 0.07 second splits, the slide will still return faster than you can trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    Attachment 94472

Gaston, give me my 26 MOS!
    Name:  8134207D-588D-4257-884C-AFD82310FD8E.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  43.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    This makes no sense. Classic Glock.
    Nein! Pistol is fine.
    Yippee ki-yay

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? Because I don’t really understand that or find that to be the case.

Longer slide tends also to be heavier which leads to slower slide speeds, which helps in tracking the dot….

I cannot think of a shooting reason I would want a short slide… dot or no dot.

Drawing and comfort, sure a short slide may be better.

I would say a shorter slide isn’t as much of a penalty with a dot over irons… but I don’t know how it’s a benefit.

Unless someone is shooting 0.07 second splits, the slide will still return faster than you can trigger.
    I don’t have any short slide pistols with optics other than a regular G19. But people who are smarter than me have talked about it. It was also mentioned in a thread here. Pretty sure it was the Roland Special thread and Doc chimed in as well. It also referenced a JSOC fella who came to the same conclusion.

That’s pre-optics thinking. And I have a 19 with a 17 length upper thanks to Brownells. With slide mounted optics a shorter slide has benefits for tracking the dot. We will continue to see more duty pistols with short uppers and full length grips going forward.

For iron sights the longer upper gives better accuracy due to the longer sight radius.
    It will be a long time, if ever, before all pistols have optics.
    Many of us find a longer slide works better for carry, specially AIWB. Sure, you can just use a longer holster but why not fill it, if nothing else for the increased velocity?
    It doesn't have to be better to sell, just ask Glock.

The benefits of a longer or shorter slide for recoil control and sight tracking are subjective and vary from person to person.

It is objectively the case that a longer barrel gives more velocity which means a greater likelihood of the ammunition expanding as its designed, especially at extended distances, as well as decreased muzzle blast.

Also a G19 has a 4" barrel which is a bit long for a "compact", so even if a shooter prefers the 4" G19 barrel/slide to a 4.5" G17 slide, I wouldn't assume they would feel the same benefit with a different platform or when going to, say, a G26 length slide.

I don’t have any short slide pistols with optics other than a regular G19. But people who are smarter than me have talked about it. It was also mentioned in a thread here. Pretty sure it was the Roland Special thread and Doc chimed in as well. It also referenced a JSOC fella who came to the same conclusion.
    I think you’re probably conflating.

A compensated short slide is different than wanting a short slide over long slide.

Because you’re basically replacing a long slide with the same size slide, it’s just the moving part is shorter.

With a compensator, you can absolutely tune it to work better than a non-compensated long slide.

In the context of a “Roland special…”

Here is a long slide G22 versus a short slide G26….

Name:  0750A64E-6212-4153-9EA0-EEDB90D643D4.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  88.8 KB

Compensated short slide gives you much better shootability for the same overall length…

But lesser ballistics because short barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think you’re probably conflating.

A compensated short slide is different than wanting a short slide over long slide.

Because you’re basically replacing a long slide with the same size slide, it’s just the moving part is shorter.

With a compensator, you can absolutely tune it to work better than a non-compensated long slide.

In the context of a “Roland special…”

Here is a long slide G22 versus a short slide G26….

Name:  0750A64E-6212-4153-9EA0-EEDB90D643D4.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  88.8 KB

Compensated short slide gives you much better shootability for the same overall length…

But lesser ballistics because short barrel.
    It’s certainly possible I’m misremembering. But I swear the discussion turned away from comps and there was even reference to using a G26 slide on a 17 size frame as being beneficial with a red dot.

ETA: found this. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....with-a-red-dot

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    The benefits of a longer or shorter slide for recoil control and sight tracking are subjective and vary from person to person.
    Disagree with the first part. When people have trouble with longer slides from a shooting standpoint it’s usually more of a case of mismatched ammo to recoil spring tuning.

Usually you’ll get people who say “I don’t know why I shoot this gun better than XYZ but I do…”

Often there are other variables (grip angle, grip size, trigger, etc) rather than just the slide itself.

Glocks are notorious for this because of the difference in hump placement that affects ergonomics of the shooting that go along with different slide lengths traditionally.

It’s certainly possible I’m misremembering. But I swear the discussion turned away from comps and there was even reference to using a G26 slide on a 17 size frame as being beneficial with a red dot.
    I went through the trouble of putting a G26 slide on a 17 size frame so I feel you on that one.

It’s still beneficial… but a longer, heavier slide will still shoot better for me.

It’s just that a G26 slide is “good enough” because we as a gun culture have accepting 3” barrel “Macros” as acceptable length and weight.

Even @Glock26 who campaigned a red dot G26 to GM status… tested and was better performance wise with a G34. He just didn’t want to go that route.

User Tag List