Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 47 MOS

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Amen. Always done this. The size difference of the mag is inconsequential. In fact a few years ago my spare became a Glock 24rd mag.
    I still haven't picked any of the 24 rounders up, I need to.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Don’t know anything about that. There were no plate issues here. I just know that RMRs were coming loose after battery changes. My partner has a loaner gun right now because he needed a new battery.
    There could be a funny meme about all the G men being gunless if some admin guy decrees all RMR batteries are to be replaced on January 1 of each year.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I still see a lot of hate for the G47 online and from some of the well known guntubers. I can give my perspective on why I'm buying it, and it's not Glock fanboyism.
    I treat my handguns like a system and don't own any safe queens or custom 1911s. I prefer simplicity and have only Gen 5 Glocks right now. I don't think they are perfection. However, the inexpensive and easily obtainable magazines, the ease of installing sights, aftermarket support of the MOS system, easy holster compatiblity, availability of the dry fire mag, my understanding of the operating system, and just the whole cottage industry behind Glocks compel me to stay with the gun.
    The G47 is a great replacement for the G17 for me, because now I have the same internal parts compatibility with the G19 down to the same recoil spring. I doubt I'll be swapping slides to make the G45-like gun very often, but I like that option. I'm gathering from this thread that for people like me who shoot the Glock a lot, this may have better shooting characteristics than the G17 and G45, which is value added.
    I understand how someone who has all types of different pistols from different manufacturers and enjoys variety would think this is stupid. In my world, it's a sensible transition to replace the G17 over the long haul, simplify the supply chain, and by all accounts improve on the original Glock 17's performance.

Can we articulate a reason why the 47 has better recoil characteristics? As it stands now, we have two new pistols (45 and 47) which were created to satisfy somewhat arbitrary requirements by institutional users. The 45 needed a shorter slide to meet the compact pistol requirements for the army, the 47 to meet the parts compatibility requirements for the CBP. Yet both of these changes lead to better recoil characteristics than the 17?

Understanding "good recoil characteristics" is subjective, but there must be some explanation as to why one feels better than the other.
    Last edited by GlockenSpiel; 01-18-2023 at 05:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    What we were just told in the last couple days.

Gen 5 G17 will still be available for agency purchase. While MOS was not specifically addressed, it sounded like they would only be available as MOS models. Also, no Blue Label purchases after a certain point.

The direct mill MOS versions of the G45 should be available for Blue label soon (currently agency only).

The G26 MOS is pretty much dead. They were told at one point to expect them, now, not. No explanation provided.

Performance trigger modules will also be available separately soon, if not already.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I still see a lot of hate for the G47 online and from some of the well known guntubers. I can give my perspective on why I'm buying it, and it's not Glock fanboyism.
    I treat my handguns like a system and don't own any safe queens or custom 1911s. I prefer simplicity and have only Gen 5 Glocks right now. I don't think they are perfection. However, the inexpensive and easily obtainable magazines, the ease of installing sights, aftermarket support of the MOS system, easy holster compatiblity, availability of the dry fire mag, my understanding of the operating system, and just the whole cottage industry behind Glocks compel me to stay with the gun.
    The G47 is a great replacement for the G17 for me, because now I have the same internal parts compatibility with the G19 down to the same recoil spring. I doubt I'll be swapping slides to make the G45-like gun very often, but I like that option. I'm gathering from this thread that for people like me who shoot the Glock a lot, this may have better shooting characteristics than the G17 and G45, which is value added.
    I understand how someone who has all types of different pistols from different manufacturers and enjoys variety would think this is stupid. In my world, it's a sensible transition to replace the G17 over the long haul, simplify the supply chain, and by all accounts improve on the original Glock 17's performance.
    Is there any reason to believe that the G47 might have less reliability due to it running a G19 spring over a G17 spring? Sorta like what some have claimed about the G48 compared to the G43X?

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Is there any reason to believe that the G47 might have less reliability due to it running a G19 spring over a G17 spring? Sorta like what some have claimed about the G48 compared to the G43X?
    Stating up front I don’t have a lot of direct experience with the G47, US Federal LE (CBP) did by all reports some pretty extensive testing, and the 47 and 19 passed. I believe one should change the recoil spring; Armorer recommendation is 5,000 rounds, but I’ve known guns to go well past that. I’ve run a 19 and a 45 over thousands of rounds with no issue. I not the highest volume shooter around here, but shoot more than the average bear.
    I am looking forward to running a 47. @GlockenSpiel asked about shooting it. In my limited experience, ~1-200 rounds of “ fam fire”, the 47 felt like it handled “faster”. YMMV. If I were running just irons, I’d gravitate towards the 47 for sight radius. I got an “Advanced” rating at Rogers school years ago with a 17 with irons. I can get close with an iron sighted 19, but not quite. Dots change the equation, obviously.
    I usually carry a 19MOS daily. I may be skirting heresy here, but I believe I’m pretty competent with it. In some circumstances, I could see the 47 as an advantage.

Are all Gen 5 G17s eventually going to be phased out or just the MOS versions? I've seen both ideas mentioned in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MRW View Post
    Are all Gen 5 G17s eventually going to be phased out or just the MOS versions? I've seen both ideas mentioned in the thread.
    It’s just the MOS version, which was replaced by the G47. The regular 17 is still available. Glock put this out in their press release for the new models.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Can we articulate a reason why the 47 has better recoil characteristics? As it stands now, we have two new pistols (45 and 47) which were created to satisfy somewhat arbitrary requirements by institutional users. The 45 needed a shorter slide to meet the compact pistol requirements for the army, the 47 to meet the parts compatibility requirements for the CBP. Yet both of these changes lead to better recoil characteristics than the 17?

Understanding "good recoil characteristics" is subjective, but there must be some explanation as to why one feels better than the other.

It doesn’t.

It’s a Glock 17 with a heavier recoil spring.

Just like the 19X/45 is just a 19 with a longer grip.

It doesn’t make a drastic difference, but it’s still not as flat shooting as a 17.

User Tag List