Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting pictures thread (possibly gory)

Went out for a couple of stands this afternoon after the storm broke. First stand had a hard charger come in from the south. Saw him from 1/2 mile out all of the way to the call. I killed the sound when he was 200 yards out, then howled and woofed at him. Couldn't get him to stop. He hit the call and bolted. I shot at him on the run but missed. I kicked the sound back on and a couple of minutes later another one came in from the northeast. He was acting kind of hinky and reversed course to leave at about 150 yards. I shot at him on the move and missed again. He checked up for a last look back at 340 yards and I thumped him.

I picked up and hiked a mile north to get one last stand in before dark. Called in a herd of cows. Lol. Right when I was just about to call it a night, a coyote came barreling in from the northwest. He was on me so fast that by the time I got a shot off all I could see was fur in the scope. I missed him too. I suck at running shots....
    Been a while since I have had all of the coyotes on a hunt come in that fast and not stop. Usually I can lip squeak, bark or howl and get them to stop for a second. Not today. Good times, though. Lots of action.

Name:  IMG_0750.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  73.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Here in RI it's muzzleloader season for deer and I haven't had a muzzleloader for a few years. I had to sell the TC Hawken I had since I was a kid to pay some bills a few years back.

I was out squirrel hunting today and got a few but as I was making my way back to my car I had a large buck 50 yards away watch me walk by. I waved and said hi. He didn't move. Kinda frustrating
    Attachment 32444
    That can be frustrating. Would you want to get into another muzzleloader?

Name:  IMG_0768.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  71.8 KB

Went out calling again today. For my first stand, I walked a little over a mile into the edge of a brushy creek where I had seen coyotes in the past. I started the caller playing prairie dog distress on about ⅓ volume. After less than two minutes, I saw a nice Muley buck going up the ridge on the other side of the creek. I checked him out with the binos for a few seconds. Right when I dropped the glasses I saw a coyote standing on the edge of the trees to my north. He was coming in at a moderate clip and would stop when I would pause the sound, then resume when the sound was playing again. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a blur of motion. Coyote #2 came in fast and stopped behind a bush less than 50 yards from me. Coyote #1 appeared to be looking at something to his southwest, I was to his southeast. He started trotting in the direction he was looking and then bristled up and started charging after something. Then I saw the bobcat!! The coyote was all over that cat and chased it over a little ridge to the west of me. I looked back at coyote #2 and it was still standing there watching the other coyote and the cat. He broke cover and came to the call, then went right past it. He stopped and looked back and I dumped him. Coyote #1 had come back over the ridge but bolted at the shot.

I switched the sound to a coyote fight to see if I could get #1 to peek out. After a little over a minute, I saw #1 going up the ridge the deer had gone up earlier. It stopped, so I ranged it at 469 yards. I was starting to figure my drops so I could take a shot and coyote #3 came over the near ridge, right next to where the bobcat had disappeared. #4 popped up a little to the south of it a few seconds later. I killed the call, but the coyotes were coming in fast. They were apart enough that at the same time #3 got to the caller, #4 stumbled on to the coyote I had shot. They both started bouncing around like idiots. #4 was the first to stop, so I shot him. #3 bolted without looking back or stopping. Start to finish, this whole thing unfolded in less than 10 minutes. Talk about getting your blood pumping!! My craziest stand ever.

I moved to another spot and hiked in for another stand. Again, prairie dog distress on ⅓ volume, I had a coyote charge right up the bottom of the draw to the call at the two-minute mark. I barked, he stopped, I shot. That’s that. Called in five coyotes and a bobcat on two stands. Killed three coyotes.

Got the opportunity to hunt this afternoon. I decided to take my 1976 Vintage Ruger M77 in ‘06. My parents gave me this rifle for Christmas in 2001 (Freshman year of college). I killed my first deer, my first buck, and my biggest buck with this rifle. I’ve not shot a deer with it since 2009 and have only taken it out once or twice since then.

Name:  D9070044-810A-4EB3-AACF-C5D2C971FF8B.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  56.2 KB

I was blessed to take this big ole nanny doe with it this evening. Grateful to God for the strength and opportunity!

Name:  99C68BB8-0E42-4F98-94C1-0833456BB5A3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  42.3 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    ^^^ For God's sake don't ever get rid of that rifle.

Was able to harvest this last week over thanksgiving. For as big of a body it has I was expecting bigger antlers but I’m still pleased.

Finally had time to post some pictures. Both taken Thanksgiving weekend.
    My buck, used my SPR with IMI razor core 77gr
    Name:  20181123_130807.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  61.9 KB

My wife buck, she used her Tikka T3 308 with 165gr Nosler Acubond
    Name:  20181124_071343.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  58.0 KB

Also, my buck had the biggest liver I have ever seen in a whitetail!
    Name:  20181123_141206.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  56.0 KB

Friday I got this small 8 pt with a single load of Federal Flite Control #1 buckshot. Range about 20 yards.

I counted 8 holes in his right lung but I think perhaps some were made by multiple pellets close together. I couldn't account for all 15 pellets individually.

Attachment 33131

Attachment 33132
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Name:  8D579C77-75EE-475A-AA1E-0459A78AD936.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  69.7 KB

2018 deer season is over. No doe tags, just one buck tag. Lots of hiking, lots of pretty scenery, lots of does. Saw one buck in somebidy’s yard, next to their house.

Ah, well. Next year. Now to hunt birds again.

User Tag List