Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Ed Head - Gunsite Ops Manager/Instructor, USBP (ret) & my uncle

Quick Ed Head story from that San Diego trip in... Christ I guess it would have been '89...

He loved being in the Border Patrol, and he loved being an instructor and a supervisor. So he was dying to show us the border. So we all load up in this big old two-door car of his (back when two-door cars could hold 6 people). Front seat was him driving, my younger brother in the middle, and his wife riding shotgun. Back seat was my dad behind Ed, me in the middle, mom behind my aunt.

We all roll down to the border from his house. Glocks were kinda new, and he was real happy to have an early one. Why I remember that fact will become clear in a minute.

As we are out driving around we pass two dudes in track suits walking down a dirt road carrying a gym bag. Ed says "yeah, those are mules". Another two minutes down the road, headed in the opposite direction from us and in the direction of the "mules" we pass a USBP SUV and Ed gives the driver a wave and says "that's one of my guys". Another minute later he says "let's go see if he picks up the mules!" and flips a K-turn in the middle of the dirt road, in the land yacht, and we head back the other direction. As we come around a bend we see the SUV pulled over, and the driver talking to the two track-suit guys. As we come around the corner, the two dudes take off in opposite directions, with the SUV pursuing one of them. Ed says "well, let's help him out!" and off we go in pursuit of the second guy. At some point we pull off into a side dirt road, my uncle kicks open the door, and goes running off into the scrub, only to come back a few seconds later with one of the track-suit mules, Glock to the back of his head, fingers interlaced on top, with Ed's other hand holding the hands in place. Ed brings him right over to the side of the car, makes him kneel down right next to the driver's side, with the entire family sitting there agape at the situation. As the mule's knees hit the ground, he locks eyes with me and my dad, and my dad just gives him a little wave, upon which my mom hisses "Bob, stop waving at him!"

Ed winds up getting the SUV guy on the radio and he comes and picks up our mule, with the other trussed up in the back.

We went on to go down to the border, spotlighting the illegals as they came across, before calling it a night.

One of the best times of my life, and I've told that story some hundreds of times in the last 30+ years.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Sincerest condolences Rob.

Prayers for you and all of the family.

RIP Sir.

Sorry for your loss Rob.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Quick Ed Head story from that San Diego trip in... Christ I guess it would have been '89...

He loved being in the Border Patrol, and he loved being an instructor and a supervisor. So he was dying to show us the border. So we all load up in this big old two-door car of his (back when two-door cars could hold 6 people). Front seat was him driving, my younger brother in the middle, and his wife riding shotgun. Back seat was my dad behind Ed, me in the middle, mom behind my aunt.

We all roll down to the border from his house. Glocks were kinda new, and he was real happy to have an early one. Why I remember that fact will become clear in a minute.

As we are out driving around we pass two dudes in track suits walking down a dirt road carrying a gym bag. Ed says "yeah, those are mules". Another two minutes down the road, headed in the opposite direction from us and in the direction of the "mules" we pass a USBP SUV and Ed gives the driver a wave and says "that's one of my guys". Another minute later he says "let's go see if he picks up the mules!" and flips a K-turn in the middle of the dirt road, in the land yacht, and we head back the other direction. As we come around a bend we see the SUV pulled over, and the driver talking to the two track-suit guys. As we come around the corner, the two dudes take off in opposite directions, with the SUV pursuing one of them. Ed says "well, let's help him out!" and off we go in pursuit of the second guy. At some point we pull off into a side dirt road, my uncle kicks open the door, and goes running off into the scrub, only to come back a few seconds later with one of the track-suit mules, Glock to the back of his head, fingers interlaced on top, with Ed's other hand holding the hands in place. Ed brings him right over to the side of the car, makes him kneel down right next to the driver's side, with the entire family sitting there agape at the situation. As the mule's knees hit the ground, he locks eyes with me and my dad, and my dad just gives him a little wave, upon which my mom hisses "Bob, stop waving at him!"

Ed winds up getting the SUV guy on the radio and he comes and picks up our mule, with the other trussed up in the back.

We went on to go down to the border, spotlighting the illegals as they came across, before calling it a night.

One of the best times of my life, and I've told that story some hundreds of times in the last 30+ years.
    This is the way we live forever! Great post.

Rob,

I am sorry for your loss. This is the best way to honor him, with great stories of shared times.

Thank you for sharing.

Damon

Site Supporter
    Blessings to you and your family in this time.

My one and only Ed Head story.

I am at Gunsite in 2006 or 2007 taking a 250 Class that was specially set up for 19 of my shooting friends/associates. Many had been to Gunsite multiple times, particularly when Lt. Col Cooper was on the line, on the daily, with students.
    Suffice it to say those folks thought they really knew what they were doing and this was mostly a "mancation" as opposed to a realization that even at Gunsite, the teaching of the art had and was still evolving.

We are in the class room milling about when Ed, having slipped into the room, stands right behind one such student for what seemed like an eternity. When that student became aware of Ed, he jumped.

Ed Head said, without missing a beat- "Hey so and so, nice to see you again. You might try living in Yellow...."

He exuded just the right amount of Desert Southwest BTDT.

He certainly made an impression.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Very sad news, sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayer inbound. R.I.P. Ed.

Really makes this thread hit home...
    Time Marches On
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Really makes this thread hit home...
    Time Marches On
    I knew Ed was sick when that was posted, and thought "well, we will have one more name to add to the list soon..."
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Any relation to Randall Head of Iron Cty., MO? He's a part-time firearms instructor and full-time lawyer. He had a 4" Python on consignment some years back and I still kick myself for not snapping it up.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Any relation to Randall Head of Iron Cty., MO? He's a part-time firearms instructor and full-time lawyer. He had a 4" Python on consignment some years back and I still kick myself for not snapping it up.
    Not to my knowledge.

User Tag List