Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a gun to a gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Your gunsmith is already required to have an FFL if he keeps your gun overnight.
    Awesome info, Jim, thanks for that. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Please redirect me if I am off, but it appears USPS, UPS, FEDEX no longer options. I cannot find Devoid at Tarnhelm on the ship my gun application, so I will have to use an FFL, correct?

Is there something I can do different in shipmygun.com?

Thanks peoples.

I’ve used Shipmygun 7 or 8 times in the last 3 years or so. Aside from the fact that I may have a chronic wheelgun problem, I’ve learned that most dealers/FFLs are not “preferred.” In each case, I’ve contacted the FFL and asked if I could submit their name to Buds to become “preferred” (which just means that Buds calls them to make sure that they’re still in business; they still have the same addy, and that someone will be there to sign for a gun drop) and then I’ve been the guy to get their info to Buds (or me and my buyer… I’m thinking of @fatdog here, IIRC). I think that, in all my dealings, only one single FFL has already been a Bud’s preferred provider. Every other deal—which includes 5 or 6 serious P-F’ers here, has required that I do the email legwork to hook up my buyer’s preferred FFL. It’s not hard to do. Takes about a week, on average.

There’s no downside to being on Bud’s green light list, and it doesn’t cost anything.

Hope that helps. Feel encouraged to PM if I can elucidate.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Shooting buddy owns a gunstore. I do all my shipping thru him.

Ryan;

Try Sirotac on Tr.16 in Ossipee.

They're right by the tractor supply.
    https://www.facebook.com/sirotac/

https://www.sirotac.com/
    I've dealt with them multiple times, good guys.

Owner's the retired Ossipee Police Chief.

Chris~
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Ryan;

Try Sirotac on Tr.16 in Ossipee.

They're right by the tractor supply.
    https://www.facebook.com/sirotac/

https://www.sirotac.com/
    I've dealt with them multiple times, good guys.

Owner's the retired Ossipee Police Chief.

Chris~
    Yeah, that's my go to spot. It's on my way to work. One of the employees is the one who told me that the new rule change for FedEx was a case by case base and to try them first. Also that I can setup a free ups account and have it picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Unsure. Need to send a couple of revolvers to Devoid and I think easiest way might be drop off at an FFL and have them figure it out. It is getting ridiculous.
    I was turned away by UPS today. Signs posted everywhere and when I asked at a central hub was very clearly told not an option. Wound up using an FFL. Figured FEDEX would not be much different. I will spite them in all the trivial ways I can. YMMV. On a positive note, Rick Devoid will have Friday my Match Champion as well as a Ruger I had worked over by Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio but has some things that could still be done. I picked some things from his menu, but wasn't sure if I overlooked anything. Be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve used Shipmygun 7 or 8 times in the last 3 years or so. .
    So using that service, or for that matter any FFL to ship to a gunsmith who has an FFL, does my local gunsmith have to log them in and then 4473 the gun back to me when it returns from the gunsmith?

That is of course always the case on transfers, but is there a loophole of some sort that allows them to act as a shipping agent without having it cross their bound book and necessitating the 4473/NICS when I get it back?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    So using that service, or for that matter any FFL to ship to a gunsmith who has an FFL, does my local gunsmith have to log them in and then 4473 the gun back to me when it returns from the gunsmith?

That is of course always the case on transfers, but is there a loophole of some sort that allows them to act as a shipping agent without having it cross their bound book and necessitating the 4473/NICS when I get it back?
    Man, that is a good question.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Troy Sellars from In Range posted some screenshots of the new UPS agreement.

Name:  TroySellarsUPSAgreement1.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  65.8 KB
    Name:  TroySellarsUPSAgreement2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  58.0 KB

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

So far no luck.

When I drove the 45 minutes to fed ex they said I had to sign up on line then print a label and come back.

Except I can't finish the sign up /registration etc. It won't let me finish. I've tried 2 computers.

Sokol hasn't gotten back to be on sending his information to shipmygun.

I really don't want to use a local ffl who will have to log it in.

I wish it wasn't a 3-4 hour drive to his shop or I'd just drive it there.

Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

I wish it wasn't a 3-4 hour drive to his shop or I'd just drive it there.
    At 3-4 hours, I’d seriously consider the drive, TBH.

User Tag List