Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a gun to a gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    So using that service, or for that matter any FFL to ship to a gunsmith who has an FFL, does my local gunsmith have to log them in and then 4473 the gun back to me when it returns from the gunsmith?

That is of course always the case on transfers, but is there a loophole of some sort that allows them to act as a shipping agent without having it cross their bound book and necessitating the 4473/NICS when I get it back?
    ATF faq

"Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?
    Español
    No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

[27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]"
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    ATF faq

"Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?
    Español
    No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

[27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]"
    Thanks, that has been my experience when I sent a gun in directly. In fact they usually come back USPS shipping (legally so).

I guess the complication I see is if I take it to my local FFL and they are the one's who then ship it, don't they become "the person from whom it was received." instead of me? And if an FFL does an intake and ships it say USPS using the appropriate forms and copy of their FFL, are they good to do that without actually logging the gun into their own bound book?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Thanks, that has been my experience when I sent a gun in directly. In fact they usually come back USPS shipping (legally so).

I guess the complication I see is if I take it to my local FFL and they are the one's who then ship it, don't they become "the person from whom it was received." instead of me? And if an FFL does an intake and ships it say USPS using the appropriate forms and copy of their FFL, are they good to do that without actually logging the gun into their own bound book?
    See #2

"Exceptions to the ATF Form 4473 Requirement
    You are not required to obtain an ATF Form 4473 for the following sales and other transfers:

Transfer of a firearm to another FFL (including collectors when transferring a Curio & Relic firearm);

The return of a repaired firearm to the person from whom it was received;

The sale of a firearm to a law enforcement agency or to a law enforcement officer for official duties if the transaction meets the requirements of 27 CFR 478.134, discussed in the Sales of Firearms to Law Enforcement Officers section of this guide; or,

Transfer of a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom a firearm was received. However, you are required by 27 CFR 478.125 to maintain in your permanent records the disposition of such a replacement firearm."
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

See #2

You are not required to obtain an ATF Form 4473 for the following sales and other transfers:

"
    excellent news, thank you

See #2

Transfer of a firearm to another FFL (including collectors when transferring a Curio & Relic firearm);

The sale of a firearm to a law enforcement agency or to a law enforcement officer for official duties if the transaction meets the requirements of 27 CFR 478.134, discussed in the Sales of Firearms to Law Enforcement Officers section of this guide; or,

Transfer of a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom a firearm was received. However, you are required by 27 CFR 478.125 to maintain in your permanent records the disposition of such a replacement firearm."
    My only concern is a risk adverse ffl.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My only concern is a risk adverse ffl.
    And that's a valid concern.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wish it wasn't a 3-4 hour drive to his shop or I'd just drive it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    At 3-4 hours, I’d seriously consider the drive, TBH.
    Yeah, this is off topic, but does look like a beautiful part of the country for a road trip and a quick picnic in a park and head back.
    Net cost will probably ultimately be less, and then you can meet the guy and discuss any details.

ETA: You can make things more efficient by dropping off another gun when you go pick it up!!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 10-10-2022 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

ETA: You can make things more efficient by dropping off another gun when you go pick it up!!
    I like the cut of your jib.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, this is off topic, but does look like a beautiful part of the country for a road trip and a quick picnic in a park and head back.
    Net cost will probably ultimately be less, and then you can meet the guy and discuss any details.

Fortunately he can ship it back...

But then I kinda want a new front sight on my m65...

It more a matter of time. I work 2nd shift wed through sun and a 4yo and a 2yo.

I try not to leave both kids at home on my days off to give my wife a little break.

A 6-7 hour drive is just a bit much for a drive for either one of them.

What's the deal with FFL requiring a copy of your drivers license in the box with the gun? This came up for me last year when I wanted to get something cerakoted and I refused to do it due to risk of identity theft.

It's possible to do some nasty things with a copy of someone's drivers license. I don't trust them to secure it in perpetuity when professional corporations can't even handle securing this stuff.

It seems like a coin flip whether a gunsmith demands a copy of my ID the last couple of years. I never remembered any asking for it. Is this some new ATF requirement?

User Tag List